Man attempting to kill bugs with lighter sparks Miamisburg house fire, displacing 10 people

Man attempting to kill bugs with lighter sparks Miamisburg house fire, displacing 10 people

MIAMISBURG — Ten people, including six children, were displaced when a man caught his house on fire as he attempted to kill insects with a lighter.

Fire officials said the man inadvertently caught some fabric on fire, which then spread, when he was trying to kill the insects. It’s unknown what bugs the man was attempting to exterminate.

>> WHIO Doppler 7 Interactive Radar

Content Continues Below

Crews were dispatched to the working fire in the 500 block of Montgomery Street in Miamisburg around 12:30 a.m. and reported visible smoke and flames upon arrival.

The fire caused $20,000 in damages. The American Red Cross is assisting the family.

Two dogs were also displaced. No injuries were reported.

We’re working to learn more will continue to update this story with additional details.