Neighbors help family of 7 escape Dayton house fire in ‘Christmas miracle’

Fire on Kratchowill Street in Dayton

DAYTON — Neighbors say it’s a Christmas miracle they were able to alert a family of seven to an early morning house fire.

“I kicked the door and I said, ‘your house is on fire, you need to get everybody out safe right now,’” said Oscar Damron, who rushed into the Kratochwill Street home.

Firefighters were met with heavy flames coming from the roof of the house when they responded around 3 a.m. to the Christmas morning blaze. They said the fire started in the attic and spread to a neighboring bedroom while the family was sound asleep. It’s uninhabitable now.

Content Continues Below

Damron and Amy Gandi were both sleeping when Gandi woke up to the smell of smoke.

“I went to the back of the house where our bathroom is and opened the window and that’s when I seen smoke,” she said.

Because of their quick actions, the family of seven escaped without injury. But now the family is displaced.

That’s why Cynthia Gayheart, who lives across the street, started a GoFundMe page to help get the family back on their feet.

“It’s very unfortunate it happened. My heart goes out to them. We’re willing to help any way we can,” Gayheart said.

The American Red Cross responded to assist the family in finding temporary housing.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com