log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 @ 6:33 PM
Updated: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 @ 11:22 AM
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 11:23 a.m. (Dec. 11): A balloon that got caught in a power line caused a chain reaction that ultimately resulted in a Xenia Avenue house fire, according to Dayton Power & Light.
The balloon caused a power outage, which then led to a power line falling and then the house fire.
The fire displaced the the family of eight, which includes six children.
UPDATE @ 8:58 p.m.: Fallen high-voltage power lines are being blamed for the Xenia Avenue house fire that has displaced a family of eight, Dayton District Chief Mike Fasnacht said.
The lines came down onto the service lines to the house in the 300 block and that started the fire in the kitchen.
Crews had been dispatched on a report of lines down, Fasnacht said, and they found Dayton Power & Light lines on the ground.
One of the six children in the house came running out and told firefighters there was smoke in the house.
Fasnacht said firefighters were able to contain the fire to the kitchen, but the damage would force the family of six children and two adults to stay elsewhere for a while.
Fasnacht said the Red Cross was called to assist the family.
He said the children did a great job of alerting fire crews and that made it "not as bad as it could have been."
Honore Norbert, 15, told News Center 7's Sean Cudahy he and his siblings were watching TV when they heard a voice outside, then a loud boom.
"We tell [firefighters], there's a fire," Honore said. "It's my house, so I gotta do something about it."
DP&L Spokesman Kevin Hall said approximately 73 customers lost power because of what happened at the house on Xenia Avenue. Crews were on scene at 9 p.m. and working to restore service by 11 p.m., he said.
UPDATE @ 7 p.m.
A family of six children and two adults are displaced after a fire broke out Tuesday.
The Red Cross was called to assist them.
A house fire Tuesday evening in the 300 block of Xenia Avenue in Dayton is believed to have started in the kitchen.
Crews remain on scene of the fire, which was reported just before 6 p.m.
There are no reports of any injuries.