MIAMI VALLEY — As 2020 begins, Miami Valley residents should be making preparations for a new area code coming to the region in March.
The new 326 area code will roll out March 8, however, beginning on Feb. 8, local calls will require people dial the full phone number including area code.
Customers should be sure to check their contact list, to ensure they have “937” entered for their saved phone numbers.
Current phone numbers will not change.
The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio has listed a few more important facts about the area code overlay:
- Calls currently considered local calls will remain local calls. Calls between 937 and 326 are local calls.
- Long-distance calling will not change.
- 911 and other three-digit numbers (211, 311, 411, 811, etc.), if available in the local community, will not change.
- Customers should begin or continue to identify their phone number with the area code
- Customers are encouraged to update any saved contacts, speed dials, business cards, personal checks, preprogrammed alarm devices, etc. to include the area code + telephone number format.
The 326 area code will overlay the existing 937 area code, which is expected to run out of available phone numbers this year, the PUCO said.