breaking news

Trial for Atlanta man accused of double shooting in Dayton rescheduled for September

Published: Monday, August 19, 2019 @ 2:51 AM
Updated: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 @ 9:37 AM

Mychael Jenkins
Mychael Jenkins

The trial for a 31-year-old Atlanta man accused of shooting two people in an apartment on Riverside Drive in Dayton has been rescheduled for next month.

Mychael Jenkins’ trial was previously scheduled to start Monday, but was moved to Sept. 30, according to Montgomery County Common Pleas Court records.

Jenkins is facing four counts of felonious assault and one count of having weapons while under disability. 

Content Continues Below

>>PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Atlanta man indicted in Dayton double shooting

Investigators said in court documents that Jenkins was at the apartment of Haley Daniels when Daniels’ boyfriend, TeeJay Byrd arrived to retrieve shoes for work. 

The documents said Daniels had Jenkins hide in the closet while she answered the door.

“Byrd went straight to the bedroom,” investigators wrote in an affidavit filed in Dayton Municipal Court. “When he opened the door, Jenkins shot him multiple times and then shot Daniels when she would not stop screaming.”

>>Man arrested for attempted murder in I-70 semi truck stabbing

Police said that Jenkins fled, and both Daniels and Byrd were rushed to the hospital.

Jenkins has pleaded not guilty to the charges, and the defense team has indicated in court documents an intention to claim Jenkins acted in self-defense.