log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Saturday, December 23, 2017 @ 8:45 PM
Updated: Saturday, December 23, 2017 @ 9:50 PM
RIVERSIDE — UPDATE @ 12:50 p.m. (Dec. 24):
A 38-year-old man is facing multiple charges after he was found with an explosive device and multiple stolen items from a business on Saturday, according to Riverside police.
Rodney K. Allen has been charged with receiving stolen property, possession of a stolen ordnance, and inducing panic, Sgt. David Crigler said Sunday.
Allen told investigators he stole the explosive device, Crigler said, which prompted a response by Dayton Police Bomb Squad and shut down a portion of Linden Avenue for nearly five hours Saturday. The ordnance, described as an explosive used by construction companies, was removed by the bomb squad and later safely detonated.
Allen was also found with several items that were stolen during a break-in at a Dayton business.
He remains booked in the Montgomery County Jail.
UPDATE @ 9:50 p.m. (Dec. 23):
A portion of Linden Avenue tonight was shut down for nearly five hours ... after police found an explosive device inside a hotel room.
A call made around 5 p.m. about a suspicious vehicle in the parking lot of the Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Riverside, 4500 Linden Ave. led officers to stolen goods, and then the explosive.
Police found items inside the vehicle that came from a burglary in Dayton, Riverside police Sgt. Mike Safriet said.
Inside the suspect’s hotel room, police found a 12-inch long cylindar, which Safriet called a “manufactured explosive” that is the type used by construction companies. It was not clear how the suspect obtained the item.
The Dayton Bomb Squad was called, and the hotel and a nearby restaurant were evacuated. Linden Avenue was shut down for nearly five hours between Spinning Road and Quinby Lane.
The bomb squad took the device and planned to detonate it in a remote area of a park.
FIRST REPORT (Dec. 23)
A portion of Linden Avenue in Riverside is shut down tonight and the Dayton Bomb Squad was called to assist police there.
Police have been on scene since around 5 p.m., and Linden Avenue is closed between Spinning Avenue and Quinby Lane. According to initial reports, the incident may have to do with stolen goods.
It is not clear why the bomb squad was requested to the scene, but crews appear to be focused on the Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Riverside, 4500 Linden Ave.
Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 1:31 PM
AGUA DULCE, Calif. — A tip called in to Los Angeles County authorities led investigators to seize a total of 553 guns from a convicted felon last week, officials said.
Manuel Fernandez, 60, of Agua Dulce, was arrested Thursday on charges of being a felon in possession of firearms, possession of an assault rifle, being a felon in possession of ammunition and possession of large-capacity magazines, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department officials. He was released on bond the following day.
Sheriff’s Department officials said in a news release Monday that deputies at the department’s Palmdale station received a tip about a felon in possession of a “large arsenal of firearms.” Detectives, along with agents from the California Department of Justice, obtained a search warrant for Fernandez’s home in Agua Dulce.
Agua Dulce is located about 20 miles northeast of Santa Clarita, near Angeles National Forest.
Investigators found a total of 432 guns during the execution of the first search warrant at Fernandez’s home, the news release said. That search led them to a second home in Agua Dulce connected to Fernandez.
A total of 30 guns were found at that home, which belongs to a woman described by authorities as a female associate of Fernandez’s. The woman, who was not home Monday and has not returned since the search, is expected to face charges.
A second warrant served at Fernandez’s home led investigators to find another 91 weapons hidden in the house, the news release said.
“Detectives also seized computers, cellphones and hard drives from the residence believed to be involved in the illicit purchase of firearms by the suspect,” the news release said.
A photo released by the Sheriff’s Department shows rifles and other weapons piled into the bed of a Ford F-150 pickup truck. Other pictures show the massive cache of weapons laid out on a patio at the station.
The number of weapons seized was so large that investigators brought in agents from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to assist in tracing the purchase history of the guns, authorities said.
“This case is a testament to the community’s involvement in reducing crime and taking guns out of the hands of criminals,” Los Angeles County Sheriff Jim McDonnell said in a statement.
McDonnell said the response by his personnel, as well as state and federal officials, shows the positive result of the Sheriff’s Department’s “See Something, Say Something” campaign.
Published: Thursday, May 17, 2018 @ 7:12 AM
Updated: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 2:30 PM
— UPDATE @ 2:30 p.m., Tuesday, June 19
Oral arguments in Brock Turner’s appeal of his sexual assault conviction will be held next month, according to court documents.
The Oakwood High School graduate and registered sexual offender’s appeal will be heard July 24 in San Jose, California.
UPDATE @ 10 a.m., Monday, May 21
Brock Turner’s attorney has asked the court to reschedule oral arguments in his appeal case, according to a court docket. A new date has not yet been scheduled.
Oral arguments in Brock Turner’s appeal of his sexual assault conviction are scheduled for next month, according to a California appellate court spokesman.
The Oakwood High School graduate and registered sexual offender’s appeal will be heard by a panel of three justices from California’s Sixth District Court of Appeal. Turner’s counsel and the state’s attorney will present arguments and answer questions during the June 28 hearing in San Jose, California.
The justices will then deliberate and later issue an opinion, said Cathal Conneely, the court’s spokesman.
The scheduling comes as Turner’s legal team drops several claims that would have allowed a re-trial or a re-sentencing on one or more counts, according to a court document filed by Turner’s attorney, Eric Multhaup.
The decision to withdraw a handful of the claims, Multhaup wrote, “was reached in large part out of consideration for appellant’s (Turner’s) family and out of consideration for Jane Doe and her family.”
Doe is the unidentified victim in the 2015 sexual assault at Stanford University. The 2016 case — and Turner’s sentence — sparked a nationwide controversy and wide-ranging discussions about sexual assaults on college campuses.
A jury found Turner guilty on three felony counts: assault with intent to commit rape of an intoxicated or unconscious person, penetration of an intoxicated person, and penetration of an unconscious person. Turner was sentenced by Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky to six months in jail, but served three months of the sentence.
Turner returned to Ohio and lives in Greene County, where he is a Level III sex offender — Ohio’s most-strict classification.
In a court filing earlier this year, the state’s attorney argued there was “substantial evidence from which a rational jury could find appellant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of all three charges.”
Turner’s attorney declined comment. Doe’s family friend, Stanford law professor Michele Dauber, also declined comment.
Read more coverage:
Published: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 8:20 PM
Updated: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 3:46 AM
SPRINGFIELD — Springfield police are investigating after a 79-year-old man was stabbed Tuesday evening.
The incident was reported around 8 p.m. in the 2100 block of Gerald Drive. The victim, who has not been identified, was transported to Miami Valley Hospital.
According to his neighbors, he was alert and talking to medics following the incident, and he said he was stabbed by a relative.
Everyone knows the victim, neighbors said. They described him as a nice man who is quick to help out his neighbors.
According to initial reports, the victim suffered wounds to the chest and leg.
Springfield police Lt. Jeff Williams said detectives were at the scene and that no further information would be released until Wednesday.
The incident remains under investigation and no one is in custody, Williams said.
Published: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 10:59 PM
Updated: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 5:46 AM
DAYTON — UPDATE @5:43 a.m.
An arrest has been made after a man was shot in the head Tuesday evening.
Marcus Antonio White, 21, was arrested in the 200 block of Cherrywood Avenue at 2:37 a.m., according to a Dayton police report and Montgomery County Jail records.
He was booked into jail on a charge of felonious assault.
A man who was shot in the head Tuesday night drove to a Speedway gas station for help.
The victim was shot through his vehicle’s window in the 100 block of Huffman Avenue near Jersey Street. The shooting was reported just before 10 p.m. after the victim drove himself to Speedway, 1556 Huffman Ave., to get help, police said.
According to a 911 call from the store, the victim went into the store and said he was shot while inside his car by another man driving a maroon vehicle.
The victim was taken to Miami Valley Hospital with injuries that are not life-threatening, Dayton police said. His name, age and condition were not immediately available.
Huffman Avenue at South Smithville Road is blocked as police investigate.
Police have not released any suspect information or whether anyone is in custody.