CLOSINGS AND DELAYS:

CHESS Christian School, Dayton Business Technology High School, Jefferson Township Local Schools, Springboro Community Schools,

breaking news

breaking news

Heat lamp in dog shed may have caused house fire in Preble County

Published: Saturday, December 15, 2018 @ 4:07 AM
Updated: Saturday, December 15, 2018 @ 10:42 AM

Crews battle flames as high as 30 feet in Eaton house fire

UPDATE @ 10:42 a.m.: 

A house, dog shed and garage are a total loss after a fire that began in the dog shed Saturday in Twin Twp.

>>Richmond school shooting: Suspect in attack ‘not a bad kid,’ student says

Content Continues Below

“It’s a shame at this time of year that these tragic things happen. It’s always smart to try to keep our animals warm but unfortunately this was a sad accident that happened,” said West Alexandria Fire Chief Jeff Schafer.

Preliminary investigation indicated that the fire started from a heat lamp inside the dog house then spread to the home and garage around 3:30 a.m.

The home was “fully involved” upon the arrival of emergency crews to the residence in the 2800 block of Minnich Wysong Road.

(Noah Fickert/STAFF)

“We had fire rolling up about 20 feet in the air,” said Schafer.

Flames grew quickly as wind gusts helped to fuel the fire. Fire doubles in size every 30 seconds, Schafer said.

The family was able to get out of the house quickly and no one was injured.

>>Online dating may have led to capture of fugitive soccer coach in Florida

Timbers hitting the house alerted the family of the fire. They did have working smoke detectors, Schafer said.

“It’s just a bad day for them,” he said. 

About five tankers were called to the scene because of an absence of fire hydrants but crews never ran out of water.

Eaton, Lewisburg, Eldorado, Jasper Twp., and Farmersville helped to extinguish the flames.