CRUISER CAM: Suspect accused of crashing into river has bond set

UPDATE @ 3:56 p.m. (April 4):

The man accused of firing shots at police officers before leading them on a chase, which ultimately ended in a crash into the Great Miami River, had his bond set in court.

Chase Younger, 29, has his bond set at $100,000 and a preliminary hearing was set for next week.

Court documents showed Young’s vehicle allegedly contained $18,000 cash and 788 grams of marijuana.

Young told police he didn’t realize the officers he fired at were police officers when he shot at them, court records showed.

UPDATE @ 4:25 p.m. (April 2):

The suspect accused of firing shots at two police officers before driving into the Great Miami River after a short pursuit was pulled from the water along with a dog early Sunday.

Chase M. Younger, 29, was identified as the driver by Dayton police. He was booked into the Montgomery County Jail today on two counts of felonious assault on police officers stemming from the early Sunday incident. He is scheduled to appear Tuesday in Dayton Municipal Court, online jail records show.

Police attempted to initiate a traffic stop of the white Buick Regal around 1 a.m. Sunday on Kenwood Avenue for a dark window tint violation, according to Dayton police.

Younger came to a sudden stop and fired multiple shots at the officers then fled then fled prompting the pursuit until Younger drove over an embankment into the Great Miami River, police said.

>>Fight at Schuster Center event described as ‘first time ever’

Younger got out of his car as it floated down the river, attempting to flee police but officers convinced him to swim to shore, a statement stated. Crews used an emergency flotation device to assist him.

>>Early morning assault of Middletown mom: Police now have sketch of suspect

A dog was also rescued from the vehicle during the recovery from the river, police said.

Younger was treated at a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries, according to a statement by police.

Dayton police said they are fortunate no citizens or Dayton public safety personnel were seriously injured during the incident.

This was the second incident in the last two weeks where Dayton Police were fired at during traffic stops, police said.


The police pursuit that ended with a vehicle in the Great Miami River began after a man fired shots at officers during a traffic stop Sunday morning.

The suspect fired several shots at officers when they attempted to pull him over for a traffic stop in the Five Oaks neighborhood in Dayton, according to Maj. Eric Henderson of the Dayton Police Department.

“We do not know why at this time our officers were shot at but it’s a very serious crime,” Henderson said.

>>Police interrupt suspected drug deal, arrest 2 in Dayton

A pursuit then took place on Forest Avenue through Riverview Avenue and ended when the suspect’s vehicle went off the embankment and into the river.

Part of Riverview Avenue and Belmonte Park North was closed off while officers assisted in helping the suspect out of his vehicle in the river.

The suspect, whose name has not yet been released, was taken to a local hospital following the rescue due to the temperature of the water.

“Fortunately none of our officers were hurt and we were able to make an arrest of this suspect,” Henderson stated.

The incident remains under investigation.

Comments on this article