Body of man missing in Sidney kayaking incident found; his fiance dead days after the water rescue

4 people went into river near Custenborder Fields on Monday night

Recovery operation continues for missing kayaker on Great Miami River in Sidney

SIDNEY — UPDATE @ 8:55 p.m. (May 10):

A kayaker has found the body of the man who had been missing and presumed drowned since the April 27 kayaking incident in Sidney.

The body of Tyson Goubeau, 28, of St. Marys, was found Sunday in the Great Miami River near a tree on Enterprise Avenue, according to Sidney Fire Department Deputy Chief Chad Hollinger.

Content Continues Below

Goubeau’s fiance, Kristeenu Clack, passed away May 1 at the Miami Valley Hospital after she was pulled from the river just days prior.

The two other individuals involved in the accident survived.

UPDATE @ 2:06 p.m. (May 1):

A woman pulled from the Great Miami River after falling into the water Monday night has since died.

Kristeenu Clack, 26, passed away at Miami Valley Hospital Wednesday night, according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office.

A recovery effort for a man, who firefighters said is presumed to have drowned, is still ongoing Friday afternoon, firefighters said.

UPDATE @ 10:40 p.m. (April 28): A recovery team will return to the Great Miami River for a third day Wednesday morning to continue searching for a male who is presumed to have drowned Monday evening.

UPDATE @ 4:30 p.m. (April 28): Rescue crews are continuing their efforts to find man who is presumed to have drowned. Crews plan to remain on the river until dusk searching and will resume in the morning if necessary.

UPDATE @ 11 a.m. (April 28): Rescue crews have resumed their search on the Great Miami River in Sidney for a man who is presumed to have drowned after a kayak hit a patch of debris in the river Monday evening.

Officials on the scene confirmed late Tuesday morning that their operation has been deemed a recovery operation.

Four people were in the kayak when it hit a boil in the river, knocking them into the river. Two females were rescued by either police or firefighters and taken to Wilson Health for treatment. Their conditions remain unknown.

A third person, identified as a male, was able to get to shore on his own and was also transported to Wilson Health for evaluation.

We’ll continue to update this story as new details become available.


The search of the Great Miami River for a male presumed to have drowned is to resume this morning, Sidney Fire Assistant Chief Dallas Davis said.

City fire/rescue crews, along with divers from the Sidney Police Department and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources will gather about 8 a.m. near the Ralph J. Stolle Bridge at Custenborder Field.

The victim, identified as a male, went into the water Monday evening along with three other people who were in a kayak and other water devices when they all apparently hit a boil on the river, the assistant chief said. A boil is a change in water elevation and often is full of debris, he said.

Crews were dispatched just after 6:30 p.m. on a report of people in the water, Assistant Chief Davis said.

The first victim, a female, was found under the Stolle bridge by firefighters. She was taken to Wilson Health. Her condition was not known late Monday.

The second victim, also a female, was found south of the bridge by Sidney police officers. She, too, was taken to Wilson Health and her condition also was not known.

The third victim, a male, managed to get out of the water on his own. He, too, was taken to Wilson Health.

The incident prompted Sidney fire to issue an alert, which Davis said called in all off-duty Sidney firefighters and crews from Lockington, Port Jefferson, the Perry Port Salem Rescue Squad in Port Jefferson, Sidney police and Shelby County Sheriff’s deputies.