log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 @ 1:28 PM
A man who was working as a security guard at Caddy’s Tap House in Beavercreek has been charged with assault for an incident at the club that was caught on video.
Dale S. Williams, 39, has pleaded not guilty to a first-degree misdemeanor assault in Fairborn Municipal Court.
According to witnesses who were there, the incident happened after the club’s security responded to a fight that erupted between two men who are known to the alleged victim, an 18-year-old woman.Witnesses said one of the males involved in the fight left the scene and the other was dealt with by the club’s security.
Video taken on a mobile device shows part of what happened during the melee outside the club. It shows a security guard grab and throw a young woman to the pavement.
The 18-year-old woman told police three security guards were on top of her friend and she was trying to get them to leave him alone when the security guard grabbed her.
Williams reported that the guards were working to subdue an intoxicated person and the victim was yelling and using “vulgar language” at them, according to the police report. Williams told police he was advised by the head guard to “get her out of here.”
Beavercreek police responded after receiving a 9-1-1 call from a manager at the club.
“We have a little problem on the back patio and we’re going to need some assistance,” the 9-1-1 caller told the dispatcher. “We have a fight out back, and the crowd is getting involved … Right now, our security has the guy down, but there’s a mob around.”
Williams has been suspended from working at the club pending an investigation, according to Caddy’s Tap House General Manager Dustin Cowan.
Cowan said he doesn’t know what led up to the incident, about 9 seconds of which was caught on the video. He said based on his experience with Williams, what the video shows is out-of-character for him.
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 6:11 PM
KETTERING — Police are continuing to look for two males who committed a home invasion robbery on Hazel Avenue.
Investigators don't know what led the invaders to pick the home they did Wednesday afternoon, Kettering Police Patrolman John Jung said.
According to the preliminary investigation, the two males forced their way inside just before 4 p.m., knocked down the resident and took property, Officer Jung said.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Good Samaritan Hospital in Dayton to close
A K-9 unit was called to the scene as part of the investigation and he said police are interviewing neighbors, hoping to get a description of the robbers.
Jung asked that if you have information you believe will help in this investigation, please call Kettering police at 937-296-2555.
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 6:44 PM
ENGLEWOOD — A former nurse who has spent a good portion of her career at Good Samaritan Hospital was "shocked" to hear Wednesday's announcement that Premier Health planned to close the facility.
"I just cannot believe what I'm hearing," Rosa Lee Weinert said. The 89-year-old graduated from nursing school at the hospital in 1949 and worked there as a nurse until 1964.
The Englewood resident said she still serves on the hospital's alumni board.
SPECIAL REPORT: Million-dollar paychecks for hospital CEOs
Weinert remembers her time on Philadelphia Avenue fondly, smiling as she remembered "the nuns who used to run the place" back with the hospital was a Catholic institution.
"It was a small, friendly place back then," Weinert said. "It was a beautiful community."
Weinert ran the heart-lung machine during open heart surgeries during her last four years at Good Samaritan. She marvels at all the instruments and machines nurses today use during surgeries.
Weinert wasn't a fan of how the hospital's exterior changed throughout the years -- from a small, warm building with a circular drive to the large facility she sees today.
She says it "boggles her mind" to think of the massive job of moving the services and patients from Good Samaritan to other Premier Health properties.
"I just cannot imagine Miami Valley [Hospital] assuming all of the patients and all of the care that is given at Good Samaritan. I can't imagine another building incorporating that," Weinert said.
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 7:33 PM
DAYTON — The Greater Dayton Regional Transit Authority hopes to modernize its payment system and get rid of cash fares by 2020, officials said Wednesday.
More than half of RTA riders have migrated to passes, including monthly and weekly passes, said Mark Donaghy, CEO of the agency.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Premier Health to shut down Good Samaritan Hospital
The agency will work to become the first major transit authority in the nation to stop using cash, he said.
RTA spends more than $1 million each year collecting and managing cash, and the future holds even more easy and convenient electronic forms of payment, he said.
Customers will be able to load up electronic cards to pay their fares at various locations.
Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 4:37 PM
Updated: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 5:45 PM
FAIRBORN — UPDATE @ 5:37 p.m.: Two adults and two children have been displaced and two pets had to be rescued in the Marchmont Drive house fire.
Battalion Chief Laura Conley-Kerr, Fairborn Fire Department, said, firefighters revived one of the two pets found inside the burning home.
"It looks like it's a total loss, from top to bottom," Conley-Kerr said. She estimates the damage to the house and contents at $45,000 to $68,000.
The cause remains under investigation, she said.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Good Samaritan Hospital in Dayton to close
There were heavy flames, with fire burning through the roof, when crews arrived, she said.
The Red Cross has been called to assist the family, which has been displaced, Conley-Kerr said.
Although Conley-Kerr didn't specifically say the fire involved the kitchen, she advises all residents to have extinguishers in the home and a fire drill plan because many house fires involve the kitchen.
Crews are on the scene of a house fire in the 200 block of Marchmont Drive.
Crews were dispatched just after 4 p.m. on a report of a structure fire, with flames reportedly through the roof.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Judge seals records in woman’s slaying
There is no word whether anyone has been injured or whether the dwelling is occupied.
We have a crew on the way. Stay with whio.com for breaking news.