log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Sunday, November 19, 2017 @ 9:43 AM
Updated: Monday, November 20, 2017 @ 10:09 AM
DAYTON — A 22-year-old Dayton business owner fired an AK-47 at burglars breaking into his cell phone store early Sunday morning.
Dayton police were dispatched to Fix or Cell Now at 619 Watervliet Street around 5:09 a.m. after the business owner called to report the attempted robbery.
According to a police report, owner Adam Seaton was blocks away when he received a notification on his phone from the store's security system.
As he arrived to the store, Seaton told Dayton police he saw two men running from the store. Seaton said one of the men then stopped, pulled out a gun, and pointed it in his direction.
According to police, Seaton then grabbed an AK-47 from his passenger seat and fired at the men. Seaton told our breaking news team he believes one of his bullets hit a suspect, but he cannot be sure.
"Typically robberies at the store are done in 20 to 45 minutes, but I happened to be in the right place at the right time," Seaton said.
Seaton told police the would-be-thieves wearing black masks fled on foot after he fired shots. He said he followed the two men in his truck as they made their way into a running getaway truck parked in the 2500 block of Mundale Avenue.
Seaton continued to follow the suspects in his truck. That's when he says the suspects began firing shots at his vehicle out of a driver side window.
Police said Seaton ended his pursuit at the intersection of Smithville Road and Linden Avenue before returning to the store to alert police.
Seaton is calling for stricter punishment for robbers targeting area phone stores.
“Give these guys [robbery suspects] punishment. They’re just stealing them [cell phones] and the courts just let them out the next day,” Seaton said.
"“It’s not the police it’s the justice system. The police arrest them and the courts just let them out the next day."
Seaton said this is the fourth robbery - and the first he's successfully stopped, since opening his store in December.
As for what other business owners can do to prevent robberies, Seaton advises they purchase a folding security gate.
"Just had my security gate save my inventory from getting stolen so invest in one of those," Seaton said.
According to the report, officers reviewed store surveillance which showed one suspect throw a brick through a security-gate reinforced window while another stood watch outside of the store.
Published: Monday, March 19, 2018 @ 5:18 PM
BUTLER COUNTY — A prisoner who was found unresponsive this morning in a Butler County jail has died.
At about 8 a.m., a corrections officer at Resolutions Jail on Second Street found Billy Hall, 31, unresponsive, according to Sheriff Richard Jones. Hall was transported by Hamilton emergency crews to Fort Hamilton Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Hall was being held on charges out of Hamilton County. He had been in the jail for about two weeks.
Published: Friday, March 02, 2018 @ 2:52 AM
Updated: Monday, March 19, 2018 @ 8:39 AM
Traffic issues can be reported by calling our newsroom at 937-259-2237 or tweeting @WHIOTraffic .
Traffic conditions are updated every six minutes on AM 1290 and News 95.7 FM.
Major Highway Incidents
Surface Street Incidents:
>> RELATED: WHIO App-Winter
Ongoing Construction & Other Closures
Live look at highways on our traffic cameras here.
Latest traffic conditions are also available on our traffic map.
Published: Monday, March 19, 2018 @ 2:41 PM
Updated: Monday, March 19, 2018 @ 4:40 PM
A Montgomery County Common Pleas Court judge denied a preliminary injunction sought by a Dayton resident who alleged an Ohio Open Meetings (OMA) Act violation because he was denied in his efforts to join a bus tour of Dayton Public Schools facilities.
Judge Richard Skelton ruled Monday in a 7-page decision that Dayton resident David Esrati did not meet the burden of proof about the bus tour containing substantive recommendations or discussion regarding potential closures of school buildings.
Esrati said he plans to continue the suit.
Skelton did write that the 20-member School Facilities Task Force formed to help Acting Superintendent Elizabeth Lolli was a public body — disagreeing with DPS and Dayton city attorneys.
“The court rejects the argument of DPS that the Task Force was only an advisory group for the superintendent and was not a ‘public body’ itself,” Skelton wrote, later adding: “Pretending that the Task Force, including three members of the Board, was only for the Board’s employee would allow a simple subterfuge to avoid the OMA.”
A Dayton Board of Education meeting that includes a potential vote on a school closing proposal is scheduled for Tuesday. An injunction could have stopped or delayed that vote.
“The burden is on the plaintiff to prove that such deliberative discussion occurred during the bus tour and was used by the Board (of Education) in proposing its formal action,” Skelton wrote. “The plaintiff did not produce the first witness who offered any proof that a deliberative or any other discussion was had on the bus tour at issue.”
Skelton wrote that the court “has no basis to find that plaintiff has shown he is likely to succeed on his claimed violation of the OMA at the trial on the merits.
Esrati said Skelton’s decision “makes no sense” and that he received legal advice that he should — and plans to — take the case to trial, currently scheduled for July 11.
“He said clearly they were a public body, and how I’m supposed to prove what they discussed or didn’t discuss is irrelevant because they’re not allowed to meet in private unless it’s for matters of executive session,” Esrati said, later adding: “There’s no way of me proving it because I wasn’t in the bus or in the school or anything else. And that’s a violation.”
Esrati filed the lawsuit without an attorney. He contends he was not allowed to attend a February bus tour of Dayton schools during which task force members went into schools until district attorneys advised them to cancel remaining stops.
On Thursday, Esrati questioned Lolli and also was cross-examined by DPS attorney Brian Wildermuth during the nearly 2½-hour, wide-ranging hearing.
Wildermuth did not immediately return a message seeking comment.
Wildermuth, who has said the task force wasn’t a public body and isn’t subject to the open meetings laws, argued in a post-hearing brief that the group was not a decision-maker and didn’t reach any consensus or specific recommendations.
“Plaintiff had the burden of proof,” Wildermuth wrote. “He did not carry that burden.”
Esrati said the board’s actions are a big part of the district’s problem.
Published: Monday, March 19, 2018 @ 9:48 AM
SPRINGFIELD — Topre America Corp. will expand again in Springfield, pledging to create more than 200 jobs and invest $73 million.
The third expansion at the manufacturer announced this morning comes before the Japanese auto parts firm has even completed construction on its latest project. Topre announced plans last year to invest $55 million and create 86 jobs in a 177,000-square-foot manufacturing plant.
>>TRENDING STORY: Powerboat race to expand in Springfield after big crowds, impact
The latest expansion will add a 138,000-square-foot stamping facility to that site.
That brings the company’s total investment to about $130 million, with a projected total workforce just shy of 300 employees.
Springfield’s workforce was one reason Springfield was chosen for the latest expansion over sites in Indiana, Alabama and Tennessee.