Gun dropped in scuffle aboard RTA bus

A 23-year-old Dayton man is in Montgomery County Jail today after he allegedly pulled a gun during an altercation on an RTA bus.

Me'Shach Israel-Miller is charged with two felonies for carrying concealed weapon and having weapons under disability. He has three prior felony convictions, according to a Dayton police report.

Police are still looking for the other man involved in the fight that occurred on Monday as about two dozen bus riders looked on.

Miller is accused of pulling the gun, and then dropping it as the two men fought. The other man allegedly picked it up and hit him with it.

The driver pulled over and told everyone to exit the bus, and that's when the two men fled, according to the report.

The bus, which was headed to Vandalia, was in the area of East Second and Jefferson streets in downtown Dayton when the fight occurred.

Miller was located by police at the main branch of the Dayton Public Library on East Third. He was taken to Grandview Hospital, suffering from a head wound, and then was booked into jail.

No shots were filed and no one else aboard the bus was injured, according to police.

Charles Blodgett, a Vandalia resident, wasn't on the bus but saw police near the bus and figured some crime had been committed.

"I could have been on that bus," he said. "It's awful. People don't need to be doing that stuff," he said.

RTA Executive Director Mark Donaghy said despite what happened, RTA passengers are safe and that the driver's quick actions prevented more possible injuries.

"We carry close to 10 million people a year," he said. "These sorts of events are incredibly rare."

If you have any information about that second man involved in the fight aboard the bus, Dayton police ask that you call the department at 333-1078.

0