Final autopsy reports out in Pike County killings

Published: Friday, September 23, 2016 @ 1:28 PM
Updated: Friday, September 23, 2016 @ 2:52 PM

Update Sept. 23, 2016:

The final autopsy of the eight Rhoden family members killed execution-style in Pike County, Ohio, April 22, 2016, were released Friday by the Ohio Attorney General’s Office. The release comes months after numerous requests by Ohio media outlets.

The lengthy reports prepared by the Hamilton County Coroner have much of the autopsy findings redacted from the record, but a final cause of death for each victim is shown, including information on where each victim was shot.

Christopher Rhoden, Jr., 16

Cause of death:

Multiple gunshot wounds to the head

Toxicology results redacted from record.

Christopher Rhoden, Sr., 40

Cause of death:

Multiple gunshot wounds to the head, torso and upper extremity.

Toxicology results redacted from record.

Clarence Franklin Rhoden, 20

Cause of death:

Multiple gunshot wounds to the head

Toxicology results redacted from record.

Dana Rhoden, 37

Cause of death:

Multiple gunshot wounds to the head and neck

Toxicology results redacted from record.

Gary Rhoden, 37

Cause of death:

Multiple gunshot wounds to the head

Toxicology results redacted from record.

Hanna Rhoden, 19

Cause of death:

Multiple gunshot wounds to the head

Toxicology results redacted from record.

Kenneth Rhoden, 44

Cause of death:

Single gunshots wound to the head

Toxicology results redacted from record.

Hannah Hazel Gilley, 20

Cause of death:

Multiple gunshot wounds to the head

Toxicology results redacted from record.

The Pike Co. murder case remains unsolved, but last month, we reported on similarities to a killing in Kentucky.

Previous report Aug. 9, 2016:

“It really is like putting together a big, say thousand-piece jigsaw puzzle,” he said. “We’re putting in pieces. A piece here, a piece here, a piece here. At some point it becomes clear. You start seeing a picture and at some point, you figure it out.”

In response to a question on whether the shooters knew the victims, DeWine said certainly those responsible “knew the territory.”

“Someone was involved who knew that area, and probably knew those homes and at least some of the people who were victimized. But beyond that I really can’t say.”

As for the marijuana plants found growing on two properties where bodies were found, DeWine said, “Clearly, this was a serious commercial operation.”, who would not confirm any connections to international drug cartels.

“I don’t want to be in a position where we confirm or deny any kind of theory. I don’t think that would be fair as far as our investigation is concerned and our ability to find out who did this,” he said.

Pastor Fulton said he continues praying for the Lord to “direct the law enforcement.”

“Give them eyes to see, ears to hear, the things that they need to make the arrest of those who committed this tragically evil, grotesque act,” Fulton said.

Fulton said those capable of killing eight people at close range, would likely do it again.

“Because if they’ve done it once, they’re not going to stop. They’ll do it again … They’ve sent a message,” Fulton said. “No doubt that message has went far and wide.”

Fulton said the April deaths are a stark reminder to the dangers of drug dealing.

A $10,000 reward remains for information leading to an arrest.

“We’re in the fourth month now. They’ve confiscated the trailers … surely they could have found something by now,” Fulton said.

Veteran, soldier boyfriend accused of shooting, killing therapy dog on video

Published: Thursday, April 27, 2017 @ 6:16 AM

Marinna Rollins, 23, and Jarren Heng, 25
Cumberland County Sheriff's Office

A North Carolina Army veteran and her soldier boyfriend are facing animal cruelty charges after they allegedly tied her PTSD therapy dog to a tree and filmed themselves shooting and killing the animal.

According to the Fayetteville Observer, Marinna Rollins, 23, and Jarren Heng, 25, laughed on video as they shot Rollins' dog, Cam, with a rifle, said Cumberland County District Attorney Clark Reaves.

>> Read more trending news

Rollins shot Cam, previously named Huey, in the head before firing at him multiple times, the arrest warrant said. Heng also shot the dog on video, the Observer reported.

Rollins, who retired from the Army earlier this year for medical reasons, implied in an April 17 Facebook post that she had found a new home for Cam, the Observer reported.

"Sad he has to go, but he will be much happier where he is heading off to," she wrote, to which Heng replied, "He's gonna have such a great new life," according to the Observer.

Bail was set for $25,000 each for the pair.


Child dies every 9 days from being left alone, inside hot car

Published: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 @ 4:44 PM

A child dies alone in a hot car every 9 days according to April 26 is National Child Vehicular Heatstroke Awareness and Prevention Day. STOCK PHOTO
Breaking News Staff

Summer hasn’t arrived yet in the United States and already 5 children have died if heatstroke after being left alone inside a hot car, according

A child dies every nine days from being left in a hot car, according to the organization that is trying to raise awareness and prevent more tragedy.

A boy died in Moraine  last summer after being found inside a car. 

April 26 is National Child Vehicular Heatstroke Awareness and Prevention Day. 

What parents may not realize is how fast temperatures can rise in a car on an average temperature day. For example, a 70-degree day outside can mean temperatures of 125-degrees inside a car.  Heatstroke can set in quickly in kids.


Steps to prevent leaving a child in a hot car: 

  • Put something in the back seat so you have to open the back door when leaving the vehicle - cellphone, employee badge, handbag, left shoe, etc. 
  • Every time you park your vehicle open the back door to make sure no one has been left behind. "Look Before You Lock." 
  • Ask your childcare provider or babysitter to call you within 10 minutes if your child hasn't arrived on time. 
  • Keep a stuffed animal in your child's car seat and move it to the front seat to remind you when your baby is in the back seat. 
  • Focus on driving and avoid cellphone calls and any other distractions while driving.  

>>RELATED: Atlanta dad going to prison after leaving son in hot car also encourages citizens to call 9-1-1 if they discover a child left alone in a car, and try to locate the driver. 

"If the child is in imminent danger, it may be necessary to break the window furthest away from the child to rescue them," stressed Janette Fennell, president and founder of

WATCH: Body camera captures cop saving man from jumping off 6-story building

Published: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 @ 2:39 PM

A police officer’s body camera captured his dramatic rescue of a man who tried to jump off a 6-story building. 

The Hamden, Connecticut officer chased the man up six flights of stairs after being called to the Whitney Center building to check on an emotionally disturbed man. 

>>MORE BREAKING NEWS: Kidnapped woman found in hole, hidden under debris 

Almost immediately a chase began up six story staircase. 

The officer was able to grab the man and pull him back to safety as he tried to jump from terrace balcony. 

>>MORE BREAKING NEWS: Dash cam captures baby born along SR 725 in Greene County

Officer Justin Martin, who played basketball in college said he used his long reach to make the grab of his life. 

"Everybody got to go home safe and everything worked out well. I was able to help the community that day and I'm really glad it turned out that way," said Martin.

Inmate who had cell phone in jail sentenced in heroin case

Published: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 @ 3:50 PM

            Julian Loeza

One of the Montgomery County Jail inmates who received a cell phone from a corrections officer was sentenced Wednesday for a heroin trafficking crime.

Julian Loeza, 27, was sentenced to six years in federal prison by U.S. District Court Judge Walter Rice after a negotiated plea deal. Loeza earned 13.5 months of jail-time credit.

Loeza, a U.S. citizen who lives in southern California, told Rice he obtained a cell phone to call Mexico to speak to his wife and young son with medical needs.

RELATED: Corrections officer pleads guilty to providing phones to inmates

Loeza said that without it, the cost to call Mexico from jail would have been $1 per minute. When asked by Rice why he needed a cell phone, Loeza answered, “The only reason why I got the phone was to keep in touch with my family.”

A law enforcement affidavit written last year had indicated that phones were being used to conduct drug trafficking business from inside the jail.

Former corrections officer Michael Rose pleaded guilty to providing phones to inmates and is scheduled to be sentenced next month.

Rice said “there may be more than meets the eye” about Loeza, but that he couldn’t sentence anyone based on speculation.