log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Monday, July 17, 2017 @ 1:37 PM
UPDATE @ 3:29 p.m.
A 911 call to Montgomery County regional police dispatch included an account from the female bank teller that was robbed.
"We just got robbed. He said he had a weapon. He kept yelling at me that he was going to pull it out. ... I gave him a dye pack. I just immediately locked the door,” said the female bank employee.
The robber passed a note to the bank teller, but took it back after he got a $100 bill, an “old, mutilated $10 bill” and 49 $1 bills, the teller said.
“He wanted all hundreds and fifties,” she said.
Dayton police are investigating a bank robbery in downtown Dayton.
At 12:48 p.m. police were dispatched to Fifth Third Bank, 1 S. Main St. for a reported robbery.
We have a photographer on the way and will update this report.
Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 8:12 PM
— Local law enforcement and school officials are aware and investigating reports on social media of possible threats against a school.
Lt. Jeff Williams of Springfield police said since Tuesday evening when reports surfaced of an 8-year-old male arrested for an unloaded gun at Simon Kenton Elementary, that many social media posts have surfaced and been shared.
Williams said many “rumors” are being investigated by Springfield police. He said police believe it is “misinformation” circulating around and they do not believe any credible threat exists.
However, Springfield police will have extra patrols at the high school Thursday.
The vague social media post referenced a “SHS” school, which could include any one of many schools in the area that start with the letter “S.”
Williams said officers spent most of Wednesday tracking down social media posts and speaking with witnesses in Springfield.
Parents in the Mad River Local Schools were issued a one-call Wednesday evening. The call from the superintendent said they are aware of a social media threat against “SHS” and are investigating whether it was directed to Stebbins High School or another school.
“Every school that starts with an “S” has done that,” Williams said of being on alert.
Clark County Sheriff Deborah Burchett said Wednesday night her office is not aware of any threats against Clark County schools.
Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 5:55 PM
DAYTON — Less than four months after winning re-election, long-time Dayton City Commissioner Joey Williams tonight annoucned he is stepping down, effective Friday.
The 52-year-old Williams, the top vote-getter in the Dayton commission race in November, has served on the body since 2002. But tonight’s city commission meeting will be his last as an elected Dayton leader.
Williams said he ran for re-election last year expecting to complete his full four-year term, but his work responsibilities have grown so much since being named the new Dayton market president of KeyBank. KeyBank publicly announced his hiring about two days after the election.
Williams said he quickly realized that the amount of travel involved in his new role would be difficult to juggle with his commission duties.
He said he typically missed a few commission meetings each year. Since November, Williams said he has been missing at least one meeting each month.
“It’s really not fair to the community if I can’t put the proper time and effort into the job,” he said. “I had no idea this job was in my future.”
Williams also told this news organization that his new job creates more potential for conflicts of interest since he’s more heavily involved with bank activities and its customers.
The city will host a special municipal election during the primary election on May 8, which is 76 days away.
To fill vacancies, the commission determines by ordinance a special election that must take place 60 to 90 days after the vacancy occurs, according to city charter.
Dayton residents who want to replace Williams will need to collect at least 500 signatures of registered electors by March 9, which is 60 days before the election, according to the city charter .
If the city had to host a special election just to fill Williams’ vacant seat, it would cost more than $100,000, said Steve Harsman, deputy director of the Montgomery County Board of Elections.
But costs should be minimal — perhaps $6,000 to $8,000 — if the race is placed on the May 8 primary election ballot, Harsman said.
Williams said the timing of his departure is intended to avoid a special election.
“I didn’t want the community to have to have a special election as a result of me having to resign,” Williams said. “I wanted to do it at a time that corresponded with a primary or general election.”
Williams’ colleagues on the commission praised his contributions and leadership.
“When (people) go back and look at the history of the city the last decade and more, they are going to point to you as maybe the main reason we as a commission was able to lead and bring the city out of one of the worst crises we’ve ever seen,” said Commissioner Matt Joseph.
Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 3:53 AM
Updated: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 3:22 PM
— A Winter Weather Advisory has been issued for Auglaize, Champaign, Darke, Logan, Mercer, and Shelby counties, in effect from 1 a.m. Thursday through 11 a.m.
Total ice accumulations overnight could reach one-tenth of an inch with limited viability also expected.
A Flood Watch has also been issued for Butler, Clinton and Warren counties, starting at 7 p.m. Wednesday through 10 a.m. Feb. 25.
>> 5-Day Forecast
THIS EVENING: On and off rain. Temperatures will drop through the 30s.
TONIGHT: Rain likely. As temperatures drop, the rain may become freezing rain across the northern Miami Valley. Elsewhere, temperatures should remain just above freezing, in the lower to middle 30s.
THURSDAY: Rain or freezing rain in the morning then drying out. Clouds will remain. Temperatures will hold in the middle 40s.
FRIDAY: Rain likely. The rain may be heavy at times. It will be mild with highs in the upper 50s.
SATURDAY: Rain likely. The rain may be heavy at times with a chance for some thunder, mainly south. Highs will be near 60 degrees.
SUNDAY: Rain will taper off early in the morning with clouds breaking. It will be windy and cooler with highs in the middle 50s.
MONDAY: Sunshine returns. Breezy and cool with highs in the lower 50s.
Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 @ 5:23 PM
BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. — The alleged gunman in the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting last week in Parkland, Fla., has an inheritance from his adoptive parents worth $800,000, according to news outlets.
Cruz was charged with 17 counts of murder last Thursday, a day after allegedly opening fire inside the high school with an assault-style rifle.
The large amount of money could prompt a judge to review the estate and possibly make the money accessible for Cruz’s defense.
The Public Defender’s Office asked a judge Tuesday to review the inheritance, the Herald reported, to help determine if any of the money can be used in his defense.
The court filing specifically asked the judge to “determine whether the defendant is indigent.”
Cruz is charged with 17 counts of murder in the deaths of 14 students and three adults, including teachers, in the deadly rampage at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Valentine’s Day. More than a dozen others were injured in the massacre.
Cruz was caught shortly after the shooting in nearby Coral Springs, Fla., and taken into custody without incident.
He’s jailed without bond.