log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, March 02, 2018 @ 12:50 AM
Updated: Saturday, March 03, 2018 @ 11:25 PM
SPRINGFIELD — UPDATE @ 11:25 p.m. (March 3)
A Springfield mother is desperate for answers after her daughter was gunned down outside of her home.
Lindzie Wilson is in critical condition at Miami Valley Hospital. Her mother, Leighanne Roberts, said Saturday she is not just fearing for her daughter’s life: “It’s 50-50. It’s iffy,” but for her granddaughter’s, too. “She was also 16 weeks pregnant. The baby’s healthy, heartbeats, both of (their) heartbeats are good.”
Roberts said her daughter was shot three times outside her Springfield home early Friday. She has no idea who did it, nor why.
“She was walking into the house and was ambushed,” she said. “She was shot three times. Once in the shoulder, once in the leg and once in the back of the head.”
Wilson already is a mother to a 3-year-old and 8-year-old. With no leads so far in the case, Roberts hopes someone on Oak Street saw or heard something.
“They’re a coward. To gun down a woman walking into her house — for nothing. For whatever reason it was, there’s no reason for it,” she said.
While police investigate, family members and friends say they will stay by Wilson’s side.
“We’re not giving up hope,” Roberts said. “She’s gonna pull through. She’s strong.”
A woman in her 20s was found lying on her back in a front yard in the 900 block of Oak Street, suffering from gunshot wounds to her head, left shoulder, stomach and left knee.
She is listed in critical condition.
A caller to police dispatch reported hearing what sounded like gunshots just before 10:30 p.m., a police lieutenant said. The victim was found in a yard.
The woman's condition is not known.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Pedestrian, struck by vehicle, has died
She has been taken to Springfield Regional Medical Center and likely is to be transferred to Miami Valley Hospital.
According to the lieutenant, police have not identified a suspect and no arrest has been made.
Published: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 @ 8:47 AM
— UPDATE @ 10:07 a.m. (March 20):
Benny Jewett IV was sentenced to 8 years in prison, the maximum amount of time allowed under the plea agreement in the case.
The Dayton man who drove one car fleeing a law enforcement traffic stop that hit another vehicle doing the same will be sentenced today for aggravated vehicular homicide in the death of his passenger.
Benny Jewett IV, 23, will serve from 5 to 8 years in prison under a plea agreement reached with the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office.
Jewett pleaded guilty to three counts — vehicular homicide, vehicular assault and failure to comply with the order or signal of a police officer — in exchange for three counts being dismissed.
The May 7, 2016, crash at the corner of Jerome and Ruth avenues in Dayton caused the death of 22-year-old Tyler Cross — Jewett’s best friend, according to a defense sentencing memorandum. Jewett failed to stop at a stop sign at that intersection.
The other vehicle was driven by Steven Swain, who was driving a stolen rental car and traveling more than 70 miles per hour, according to Jewett’s defense attorney.
Swain has served about a year of a two-year sentence for gun and drug charges. Jewett’s sentence also will take into account a Jan. 13, 2017, incident of fleeing and eluding.
Jewett’s attorney is advocating for a five-year sentence, while prosecutors are asking Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Erik Blaine for an eight-year term.
Published: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 @ 9:22 AM
Updated: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 @ 9:22 AM
SCHERTZ, Texas — A package bound for Austin exploded at a Texas FedEx facility early Tuesday, multiple news outlets are reporting.
Published: Monday, February 26, 2018 @ 4:34 PM
— A Dayton man pleaded guilty Monday to aggravated vehicular homicide in the 2016 crash of two vehicles fleeing separate attempted traffic stops.
Benny Jewett IV, 23, was to go on trial on six counts related to the May 7, 2016 death of Tyler Cross, 22, of Dayton. Cross was a passenger in a vehicle driven by Steven Swain.
Instead, Jewett pleaded guilty to three counts — vehicular homicide, vehicular assault and failure to comply with the order or signal of a police officer — in exchange for three counts being dismissed.
Jewett is scheduled to be sentenced March 20.
Heroin was found in both vehicles, one of which was stolen, according to police accounts. A handgun also was found in one vehicle. The crash happened at Ruth and Jerome avenues.
Dayton Maj. Matt Carper said in 2016 that out of concern for public safety, officers did not pursue either vehicle after they sped away from separate, attempted traffic stops.
The first attempted traffic stop was of a silver Toyota reported stolen out of Harrison Twp.
Carper said the Toyota nearly struck a police cruiser. The officer tried to stop the vehicle but it sped away and the officer did not pursue.
Around the same time in a separate incident, police attempted to stop a gray Chrysler for minor traffic violations and it sped away. Carper said the officer did not pursue the Chrysler, which was a rental car with New York license plates.
The two cars collided when the Chrysler, heading north on Ruth Avenue, T-boned the silver Toyota, which was traveling at a high rate of speed eastbound on Jerome Avenue, Carper said then.
Published: Monday, March 19, 2018 @ 2:17 PM
California’s attorney general responded to Brock Turner’s appeal effort in a filing made public Monday, arguing the Ohio sex offender was not deprived of due process or victim to prosecutorial misconduct during his 2016 trial.
In the 95-page court brief reviewed by the Dayton Daily News, the state’s attorney said Turner’s “claims of error all lack merit” and “could not — separately or together — infringe” on the Oakwood High School graduate’s legal rights.
Turner’s new attorney, Eric Multhaup, filed a 172-page appeal in December seeking to clear his client of a conviction stemming from the January 2015 assault of a 22-year-old woman while Turner was a student and swimmer at Stanford University.
The appeal argued Turner was deprived of due process and alleged prosecutorial misconduct — in part by the use of the word “dumpster” in describing the location of the assault — as reasons he should receive a new trial. Multhaup did not respond to a request for comment Monday.
A jury found Turner guilty on three felony counts: assault with intent to commit rape of an intoxicated or unconscious person, penetration of an intoxicated person, and penetration of an unconscious person. Turner was sentenced by Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky to six months in jail, but served three months of the sentence.
The case — and Turner’s sentence — sparked a nationwide controversy and wide-ranging discussions about sexual assaults on college campuses.
The state argues there was “substantial evidence from which a rational jury could find appellant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of all three charges.”
“That evidence included testimony by two independent eyewitnesses who saw appellant ‘thrusting’ on top of the victim half-naked and as she lay unresponsive on the ground,” the state’s brief said.
Turner’s attorney argued his client “was deprived of due process, a fair trial, and his right to present a defense” when the judge restricted testimony from four individuals with Dayton-area ties: Turner’s friend, an ex-girlfriend and two swim coaches.
Multhaup argued the court erroneously restricted the testimony of the four “to the trait of sexual non-aggression relevant to his conduct at the time of the offense … and excluded it as to appellant’s honesty and veracity.”
California’s response disputes Multhaup’s claim, arguing Turner’s “reputation for veracity among those who knew and liked him in high school was not the primary, or even a relevant, issue in the case.”
Multhaup also claimed prosecutors “malevolently” used the phrase “behind-the-dumpster” to describe the location of the incident because it implied Turner wanted to shield the incident from view and because “it implied moral depravity, callousness, and culpability on the appellant’s part…”
The state again disputed Multhaup’s claim, arguing Turner himself said the encounter occurred behind a dumpster.
California Deputy Attorney General Alisha Carlile filed the state’s brief Friday in California’s 6th Appellate District Court.
An Oakwood native, Turner is serving a three-year probation. He now lives in Greene County and is a Tier III sex offender, according to Ohio’s sex offender registry. The designation means he is required to register with the county every 90 days.
Read more stories from the Dayton Daily News: