CLOSINGS AND DELAYS:

Alter High School, Ascension School, BSF Dayton Day Women, Jefferson Township Local Schools, Kettering City Schools, L&M Products Inc., Liberty High School, Mont. Co. E.S.C. Learning Centers, Moraine Seniors Citizens Club, Ron West Barber College, Senior Center of Sidney/Shelby Co., Sidney City Schools, Sidney Holy Angels, Southeastern Local Schools, St. Albert the Great School, St. Charles Elementary, Wilmington City Schools,

Shots fired during robbery at Dayton restaurant, 2nd time at location

Published: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 @ 11:28 AM

Dayton police are investigating a possible robbery at a local restaurant

Shots were fired during a robbery reported at Falb’s Restaurant on Kiser Street in Dayton for the second time at the business since 2000 Tuesday morning, dispatch records show.

Officers responded to the business around 10:30 a.m. on a report of a robbery, according to records.

Someone inside the restaurant fired shots at the suspect, records show.

GREENE COUNTY: Shots fired during burglary, suspect charged

A 911 caller told police he was coming to work at the restaurant and his brother was chasing the suspect and firing shots at him.

“He came into our business and robbed our business,” the caller said.  “(My brother) came out and he was shooting at him when he came out.”

The caller said the suspect fled down a nearby alley.

The suspect Tuesday got away and police are still searching for them, according to dispatch records.

No injuries were reported and one other person was in the restaurant at the time of the robbery, the caller told police.

A similar incident was reported at the business in June 2000, when the owner of the business shot at three men, killing one and injuring at least one other, as they fled his business following a robbery.

In that case, the robbers converged on the owner after ordering food and took him to a back room, where they emptied a safe, police said.  The robbers in that case also emptied the cash register.

As the robbers fled in 2000, one of the men pointed a gun at the owner, which caused the owner to fire several shots.

Police have not confirmed if the shots fired Tuesday were fired by the same man from the 2000 robbery.

Changes promised in wake of racially insensitive basketball jerseys incident

Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 10:31 PM

Change coming to Kings School board

Changes are being promised for Kings Schools in the wake of last week’s racist incident that drew national attention, but Tuesday evening district officials said details about those changes will come later.

That was the message from Kings’ leader and school board members, who took the resignation of their board vice president in the wake of some white, local teens wearing basketball jerseys that displayed racist slurs.

 MORE: Kings and Mason schools facing outcry in wake of racial incidents

The Kings Board of Education voted 4-0 to formally accept the resignation of member Kerry McKiernan, who previously cited his own failure in stopping some of the boys on the recreational league basketball team – not affiliated with Kings -- from wearing jerseys with names that appeared to slur African-Americans.

The names on the backs of the jerseys included "Knee Grow" and "Coon." The team played in the Cincinnati Premier Youth Basketball League.

McKiernan, whose son played on the now banned team that used Kings’ facilities, did not attend Tuesday’s board meeting and has not responded to requests for comment.

Last week McKiernan emotionally announced his intentions to resign, citing his failure to stop the team from wearing the jerseys during its first four games.

 MORE: Kings board member and father said he shares responsibility for failing to report racist jerseys

Superintendent Tim Ackermann told this news outlet he will soon be proposing systemic changes design to raise student, school staffers and community members’ awareness of the importance of racial and other diversity for the predominately white Warren County district.

“It’s really important to move forward and sustainable change is extremely important to us so that we can work to create a more loving, acceptable tolerant society,” said Ackermann. “We believe this is a community and societal issue around racism … intolerance, hate and bigotry and we all need to work together to make Kings the best place for all of our kids.”

He declined, however, to give details as to what district efforts are coming, saying the changes are still being studied.

“I don’t want to create something just to create something. Sustainable change doesn’t happen overnight,” said Ackermann.

Tom Squires, an African-American parent at Kings, was among the more than a dozen residents who attended the board meeting.

Afterward, Squires said the jersey incident, which has drawn national media attention, was “unfortunate.”

“We didn’t pay that close of attention as parents and we should have. We have to react swiftly and we have to make sure that people understand that this is not a district that condones that kind of thing,” said Squires, who has lived in the Deerfield Twp. school community for more than a decade.

“When you make a mistake you have to make sure you correct that mistake. Sometimes it’s not always fast but we have to make sure we make the right correction,” he said. 

“This thing (reaction to the incident) is still evolving so it’s kind of hard for me to be critical of the district. They are still trying to make the correction and I think we should give them the opportunity to do so,” said Squires.

Under Ohio school law, the board now has until Feb. 9 to appoint a new board member and agreed during its meeting to accept applications until 4 p.m. on Jan. 24. 

Applications will soon be available on the Kings Schools website.

The board will then vote at its Jan. 31 meeting – after interviewing all applicants – on who will fill McKiernan’s seat through his term, which ends December 2019.

Dayton apartment residents able to stay after judge issues order

Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 1:15 PM

Judge tours building to make sure residents have heat

UPDATE @ 3:02 p.m.:

Judge Richard Skelton has issued a temporary restraining order that blocks the city of Dayton’s emergency vacate order for the Newcom building.  

Skelton said the building owner must purchase infrared heaters today for the remaining 18 tenants in the building.  He ordered that the building be available for inspection to the court.

Skelton said he will review the matter every two days and planned to inspect the building tonight.  “I will be watching this very closely,” Skelton said.

UPDATE @ 2:07 p.m.:

Judge Richard Skelton said he is willing to work with the building owner to avoid kicking residents out of their homes.

But he said he wants to know how quickly owner Howard Heck can acquire infrared heaters for the 18 residents who remain in the building. 

WATCH: Residents live in apartment building with no heat

RELATED: Dayton issues vacate order for downtown apartment building

About seven residents have moved out owing to the vacate order. 

Heck’s attorney at first said his client would order the heaters on Amazon, but Skelton said he wanted a quick and definite plan for obtaining the heaters. 

Skelton took a short recess in court to allow Heck time to try to figure out how he could get the heaters quickly. 

INITIAL REPORT:

The roughly 50 residents of a downtown Dayton apartment building who were ordered to vacate by Tuesday if the heating system was not repaired were awaiting the results of an emergency hearing this afternoon

Last week, city of Dayton housing inspection officials issued an emergency vacate order to residents at the Newcom Building, located at 255 N. Main St.

The building’s boiler was shut off because it was releasing dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, which can cause deadly poisoning.

Dayton crews discovered high levels of carbon monoxide in the boiler room after responding to a medic call at the Newcom building.

RELATED: Dayton issues vacate order for downtown apartment building

The city told the building’s ownership it had to repair or replace the boiler by Tuesday or the building would be boarded up and all residents would be required to leave.

The building is not safe to live in because it does not have a functioning heating system, officials said, and the especially cold weather poses a threat to residents.

A small number of residents had moved out by Tuesday late morning, but most do not have any place to go and moving itself would be very difficult since some residents are elderly or disabled, said Bradley Brumit, who lives in the building.

Dayton traffic from the WHIO traffic center

Published: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 12:50 AM
Updated: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 12:50 AM

VIDEO: Rollover crash on I-70 West
VIDEO: Rollover crash on I-70 West

Traffic issues can be reported by calling our newsroom at 937-259-2237 or tweeting @WHIOTraffic .

Traffic conditions are updated every six minutes on AM 1290 and News 95.7 FM.

Major Highway Incidents

  • No incidents to report

Surface Street Incidents

  • No incidents to report

>> RELATED: WHIO App-Winter

>> RELATED: Check for delays or cancellations before heading to the airport

>> RELATED: Track the latest conditions in your neighborhood on our live WHIO Doppler 7 Interactive Radar

Ongoing Construction & Other Closures 

Live look at highways on our traffic cameras here.

Latest traffic conditions are also available on our traffic map. 

MONTGOMERY COUNTY

  • Keowee Street north of Stanley Avenue, bridge closed until 2019. The official detour is: Keowee Street to Stanley Avenue to I-75 to Wagner Ford Road and back to Dixie. More information is available here.
  • Stewart Street Ramp to US 35 East, RAMP CLOSURE March 28 - Sept 30, 2018. The official detour is: Stewart Street to Edwin C. Moses Boulevard to I-75 north to US 35 west to James H. McGee Blvd. to US 35 east.
  • I-75 north Ramp to US 35 west and east, Lane width restriction until Apr. 1, 2018. One lane will remain open on the ramp with a width of 11 feet.

Fireplace embers ignite house fire on Kensington Drive in Dayton

Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 10:08 PM
Updated: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 11:39 PM

Kensington Drive fire

UPDATE @ 10:49 p.m.: Burning embers that jumped from the fireplace onto something combustible led to the house fire on Kensington Drive, Dayton Fire Battalion Chief Barry Rose said. 

The resident started the fire and then left the house. He was not injured, Rose said. 

Rose estimated the damage to the structure and contents at $10,000.

INITIAL REPORT

Crews are on the scene of a house fire in the 1900 block of Kensington Drive in Dayton. 

We're hearing there is fire in the attic of the 1-1/2 story dwelling. Crews were dispatched about 9:45 p.m. 

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Coroner IDs Greenville house fire victim

We're also hearing that everyone who was inside has been able to escape without injury. 

We have a crew on the way. We will update this developing report. Stay with whio.com for breaking news. 

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com