breaking news

Update


Tipp City man hit by train remains in critical condition

Published: Thursday, December 07, 2017 @ 9:39 PM
Updated: Friday, December 08, 2017 @ 11:10 AM

FROM SCENE: Man in critical condition after struck by freight train in Tipp City

UPDATE @ 11:10 a.m. (Dec. 8): 

A Tipp City man remains in critical condition after he was hit by a CSX freight train while walking on the tracks Thursday night. 

TRENDING: Englewood man killed in morning crash

The victim, identified Friday as Jesse Hereford, 26, was clipped by the train near Crane Road around 9 p.m. Thursday and remains at Miami Valley Hospital. 

TRENDING: Area couple indicted for making, selling porn with boy, 2

The train’s engineer told investigators Hereford was walking on the tracks and started to step off as the train approached, but wasn’t able to in time and was hit. 

Investigators said beer cans were found at the scene and believe Hereford might have been intoxicated. 

The incident remains under investigation by the Miami County Sheriff’s Office and CSX. 

UPDATE @ 11:40 p.m. (Dec. 7): 

The man hit by a CSX freight train was walking north -- not south as previously reported -- and was wearing earbuds as the southbound train headed toward him, its horn blaring and headlight shining.

Miami County Sheriff's investigators also said they found beer cans at the scene and believe the man may have been intoxicated. 

That's the latest assessment in the continuing investigation, investigators said.

A CSX official said the train was headed to Louisville, Ky., when it struck the man. The two-person crew was not injured.

The train consisted of two locomotives, 13 cars of mixed freight and 87 empty cars, the CSX official said.

“Out thoughts are with everyone who is affected by this,” the official said. “We appreciate the fast response of the law enforcement and medical personnel.”

UPDATE @ 10:24 p.m.: 

Investigators are working to determine why a man was walking on or along railroad tracks in Tipp City when he was hit by a CSX freight train, Miami County Sheriff's Sgt. Randy Slusher said. 

"I have no idea why he was even on the tracks nor why he didn't step out of the way," Sgt. Slusher said. 

Personnel aboard the CSX train notified the sheriff's office about the incident, Slusher said. 

He said the railroad crossing at Crane Road will remain shut down until the sheriff's investigation is completed.

UPDATE @ 10:03 p.m.: 

The person hit by a freight train in Tipp City is a 26-year-old city man, who has been taken to Miami Valley Hospital by CareFlight. 

The victim is believed to be in critical condition, according to a Miami County Sheriff's deputy. 

According to the initial investigation, the deputy said, the man was walking south when he was struck by the southbound freight train. 

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Shoes, valued at $550, taken in prank - see video

The deputy said the engineer told authorities he was sounding the train's horn but the man apparently did not respond to the sound. 

The man ended up a few feet from the train after impact, the deputy said. 

The investigation is continuing at the scene on Crane Road, east of the railroad crossing gate near an industrial area where Crane becomes North Third Street as you head south toward Tipp City.

INITIAL REPORT

Law enforcement, medic units and CareFlight have been called to Tipp City for a reported pedestrian-train accident. 

A Miami County Sheriff's Dispatch 9-1-1 supervisor tells us the incident was reported just before 9 p.m. at the railroad crossing on Crane Road. 

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Retired jail officer claims pepper-spray incident cover-up

A News Center 7 viewer who said he was near Tippecanoe High School, just west of Crane Road, reported seeing several law enforcement vehicles at the rail crossing. 

We're also hearing that CareFlight has been requested to the scene. 

We have a crew on the way. We will update this developing report. Stay with whio.com for breaking news. 

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com  

Man accused of murder during sex act convicted 

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 4:15 PM

The man accused of shooting a 41-year-old man, ultimately leading to his death, was convicted of murder and felonious assault.

Michael J. Wood Jr., 19, of Dayton, shot and killed Elroy Facey on Hoover Avenue on May 3, 2017, according to prosecutors.

“The victim attempted to run away, but the adult defendant chased the victim and shot him a second time,” the Montgomery County Prosecutor’s Office said in a prepared statement.

Elexus Dawkins, 17, was convicted of murder in October 2017 and was sentenced to 15 years to life in prison for her role in the shooting.

Wood and Dawkins planned to rob Facey, prosecutors said.

Dawkins was in a vehicle performing a sex act on Facey when Wood shot him, according to the prosecutor’s office.

Sentencing for Wood is scheduled for Jan. 23 at 9:30 a.m.

Mason Middle School hit by another racial incident

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 11:12 AM


            A racist, social media message sent to some African-American students at Mason Middle School prompted school officials to send a notice to school parents. The Snapchat message was received this week by a handful of black students in the Warren County school and it comes in the wake of a recent racial incident where a Mason teacher at the same school was suspended for telling a black student his classmates “lynch” him if he didn’t complete his class work.(Provided photo)
A racist, social media message sent to some African-American students at Mason Middle School prompted school officials to send a notice to school parents. The Snapchat message was received this week by a handful of black students in the Warren County school and it comes in the wake of a recent racial incident where a Mason teacher at the same school was suspended for telling a black student his classmates “lynch” him if he didn’t complete his class work.(Provided photo)

A racist, social media message sent to some African-American students at Mason Middle School prompted school officials to send a notice to school parents.

The Snapchat message was received this week by a handful of black students in the Warren County school and it comes in the wake of a recent racial incident where a Mason teacher at the same school was suspended for telling a black student his classmates “lynch” him if he didn’t complete his class work.

MORE: Mason teacher now suspended after racial incident

In a notice sent Tuesday to Mason Middle School (MMS) parents, Principal Tonya McCall wrote: “Today, we received a tip that several African-American students received an offensive Snapchat message. We reported the message to our School Resource Officer, and will continue to investigate who might have sent it.”

“As many of you may be aware, an MMS teacher recently made an offensive remark to an African-American student. We know that there is no explanation or defense that would make such a comment appropriate. We are working to do what is right — apologize, make amends, and take steps to be better.”

McCall continued and wrote: “We know that racial incidents don’t just hurt the students of color in our schools — they hurt all of our students and staff. We believe that our diversity strengthens our school and community.”

On Saturday Mason school officials announced Middle School teacher Renee Thole would be suspended for her December remark to the black student in addition to being reprimanded and ordered to take cultural sensitivity training.

MORE: Mason and neighboring Kings schools dealing with racial incidents, national attention

The incident drew national attention and Mason district officials have responded with promises to re-new its exiting efforts and programs to improve racial sensitivity in the predominately white school system of 11,000-students.

Mason Superintendent Gail Kist-Kline sent a message to “Mason City Schools Families” on Saturday with the subject line “Mason Schools Response to Teacher’s Comment” after the story about the teacher gained national attention.

“Racism is real in America, and we all have an obligation to fight it,” Kist-Kline wrote.

Dayton traffic from the WHIO traffic center

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 12:47 AM
Updated: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 4:05 PM

SCENE: Crashes on SB I-75 near Wagner Ford

Traffic issues can be reported by calling our newsroom at 937-259-2237 or tweeting @WHIOTraffic .

Traffic conditions are updated every six minutes on AM 1290 and News 95.7 FM.

Major Highway Incidents

  • On eastbound I-70 near Ohio 503 in Preble County, two lanes are closed for an accident 
  • On southbound I-75 in the area of Stanley Avenue and Wagner Ford Road, two crashes were reported just before 6:30 a.m. The first crash reportedly involved three vehicles, and the second involves four vehicles. Traffic is backed up in the area. No injuries have been reported.

Surface Street Incidents

  • No incidents to report

>> RELATED: WHIO App-Winter

>> RELATED: Check for delays or cancellations before heading to the airport

>> RELATED: Track the latest conditions in your neighborhood on our live WHIO Doppler 7 Interactive Radar

Ongoing Construction & Other Closures 

Live look at highways on our traffic cameras here.

Latest traffic conditions are also available on our traffic map. 

MONTGOMERY COUNTY

  • Keowee Street north of Stanley Avenue, bridge closed until 2019. The official detour is: Keowee Street to Stanley Avenue to I-75 to Wagner Ford Road and back to Dixie. More information is available here.
  • Stewart Street Ramp to US 35 East, RAMP CLOSURE March 28 - Sept 30, 2018. The official detour is: Stewart Street to Edwin C. Moses Boulevard to I-75 north to US 35 west to James H. McGee Blvd. to US 35 east.
  • I-75 north Ramp to US 35 west and east, Lane width restriction until Apr. 1, 2018. One lane will remain open on the ramp with a width of 11 feet.

Bellbrook city manager leaving position in March

Published: Thursday, January 18, 2018 @ 2:50 PM

MARK SCHLAGHECK
MARK SCHLAGHECK

Bellbrook City Manager Mark Schlagheck is resigning from his position with the city to take a position with The Jefferson Health Plan, he told this news agency Thursday.

Schlagheck said he submitted his resignation to the city council Friday and the council has since accepted his decision.

BELLBROOK NEWS: Tree trimming solicitor arrested on unrelated charge in Bellbrook

After leaving his position with Bellbrook, Schlagheck said he will be staying in the area while working for The Jefferson Health Plan as its Chief Financial Officer.

The city will begin the hiring process for Schlagheck’s replacement soon and he will be leaving office in mid-March, he said.

The Jefferson Health Plan operates as a council of governments and provides health care and related employee benefit programs to nearly 300 public employer member organizations throughout Ohio, according to its website.

Schlagheck has been Bellbrook’s city manager since Nov. 2008 and worked with the city of Centerville as its finance director prior to taking his position with Bellbrook.

Schlagheck is married to Washington Twp. Administrator Jesse Lightle.