Suspended Miami, Shelby county attorney Chris Bucio out of jail

Published: Saturday, January 06, 2018 @ 10:38 PM

Former attorney Chris Bucio was sentenced Friday in Miami County

Update@3:25 p.m. (Jan. 8):

Bucio was released from jail Monday morning after spending the weekend there. 

First report: 

Former Miami and Shelby County troubled defense attorney Christopher Bucio, formerly of Troy, now living in Urbana, turned himself into the Shelby County Jail Saturday night apparently on a probation violation, Sheriff John Lenhart said.

Bucio was booked into the jail at 6:05 p.m. 

>> High Court indefinitely suspends former Troy lawyer from practicing law

Former Troy lawyer, Bucio, was suspended indefinitely from the practice of law Nov. 29 by the Ohio Supreme Court. 

Bucio, 39, was convicted in November 2016 of unauthorized use of property involving land obtained for fees from a Shelby County client.

>> Convicted lawyer sentenced

He was sentenced in January 2017 in Shelby County Common Pleas Court to five years of community control and a $5,000 fine.

Trending - Most Read Stories

By the numbers: Jailing the poor

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 4:51 PM

According to a January report by the Dayton Daily News, the Montgomery County Bail Review Committee has urged the county’s municipal and common pleas courts to follow the wave of bail reform across the nation to ensure poorer, non-violent offenders are not kept in jail only because they can’t afford bail. 

Here’s what the committee found:

6: Number of times a 17-member bail committee met in 2017 to study other Ohio counties’ and other states’ bail reforms

9: Number of days Markcus Brown was in jail after being stopped for having saggy pants at an RTA bus stop and not having an ID

58: Number of pages in a report that recommended that Montgomery County courts should reform bail practices by suing risk assessment tools and not monetary bond schedules 

63: Estimated percentage of the national daily jail population that are awaiting trial 

14 billion: Amount that is spent every year to detain citizens not yet convicted of a crime and who pose little risk to the community 

2014: Year that New Jersey voted to eliminate cash bail for non-violent offenders 

439: Ohio House Bill number that wants to shift courts away from using cash-bail systems

Trending - Most Read Stories

NEW DETAILS: Owner, one of two killed in auto dealership shooting, served in military

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 3:19 PM


            Frank D. Buck
Frank D. Buck

The auto dealership owner found shot to death inside his business on Monday was a U.S. Army Vietnam War veteran who loved horses and cars, according to an online obituary.

Frank D. Buck, 71, and his friend, Lester Golson, 59, were both found dead of apparent gunshot wounds inside of Buck-I Auto Sales after what Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office deputies said was a struggle involving a gun.

Investigators were not searching for anyone after the shooting, believing that the incident was “contained” inside the dealership at 2801 N. Dixie Drive.

RELATED: Two men shot to death on North Dixie Drive were friends

Buck operated his car dealership for more than 30 years, the obit said. Services were pending at Newcomer North Chapel, 4104 Needmore Rd. The obit said contributions to help pay for expenses can be made through the funeral home’s website.

Buck is survived by his children, Shelly Buck, Laura Hurst, Candace Buck and Frank DJ Buck, six grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, ex-wife Penny Buck and many relatives and friends, according to Buck’s obituary.

“My father was a loving man would do anything in the world for just about anybody, he was loved by a lot he was always smiling, laughing, and joking around,” Candace Buck told this news organization earlier this week. “My condolences are with the Golson family during this very hard time.”

FIRST REPORT: 2 men found shot to death inside auto dealership

Golson’s obituary is not yet available. Efforts to get comment from his family or friends have been unsuccessful.

Buck-I Auto Sales was broken into Jan. 5, 2016, according to a sheriff’s incident report that said one of the windows in an overhead door was smashed.

A friend, not Golson, of Buck’s who was watching the business while Buck was out of town called police. That report said there were no surveillance cameras on the property.

Nearly three weeks later from the first incident, another report said a car was stolen but recovered from the Jan. 5, 2016 crime and that it appeared that the dealership was vandalized again as part of an effort to steal a car. A different stolen car was located in November 2016, according to sheriff’s office incident reports.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

“It is my understanding Mr. Buck was putting up cameras,” a Jan. 23, 2016 report read, adding that there were no suspects and no leads.

A woman who tried to get into the business Monday and saw one man point a gun at another then called 911 to report that she saw people get into a “tussle” before she heard three gunshots.

LISTEN: The 911 call about the North Dixie shooting

In the sometimes frantic 6-minute call at 1:22 p.m., the woman said, “I was trying to get to my car and get to the phone to call the police then I heard gunshots.”

Deputies investigating the shootings earlier this week did not locate any surveillance cameras at the property.

The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office on Thursday said the two men’s cause and manner of death were still listed as “pending” due to the ongoing investigation.

LISTEN: The 911 call about the North Dixie shooting

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

Trending - Most Read Stories

Father intentionally killed 5-year-old son, police say

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 11:54 AM

Police: 5-Year-Old Son Intentionally Killed By Father

father is in custody after police say he intentionally killed his 5-year-old son at a DeKalb County, Georgia, home Wednesday night.

>> Read more trending news

It was not immediately clear what led to the homicide or how the boy was killed.

According to police, the child lived at a home on Rocky Pine Drive in Lithonia with his grandmother. His parents drove from California for an unannounced visit Wednesday, authorities said.

The boy’s mother and grandmother left the home, returned and “learned that the child had been murdered,” police spokeswoman Shiera Campbell told WSBTV.

Three other children were inside the home at the time of the killing, but were not injured, the news station reported. 

Police have not released the names of the father and child.

"Right now, the father is in custody,” Campbell said. “He is a 25-year-old male.” 

Authorities continued to investigate the incident Thursday.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Teen charged in connection with crash that killed Greenon student

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 1:34 PM

A 16-year-old Greenon High School student was killed Sunday in a car crash in Enon — the third student in the district to die in a fatal accident this school year.

A Greenon High School student has been charged in connection with a crash that killed another student in October.

Andrew J. Scott, 16, faces charges of vehicular homicide and vehicular manslaughter in Clark County Juvenile Court.

RELATED: Greenon mourns 3rd student death in 2 months in fatal car crashes

Kendal “Kenny” DePhillip, a junior, died while a passenger in a car that crashed shortly before 4:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 17, on Fowler Road between Rebert Pike and Broadway Road in Clark County.

Scott allegedly went off the right side of the road, clipped a telephone pole and then hit another pole, Ohio State Highway Patrol troopers said. Scott sustained non-life threatening injuries, troopers said.

DETAILS: Teens killed in car crashes remembered, reminder of safety needs

DePhillip was the third Greenon student to die in a fatal crash last fall in a few months. His death followed a crash in August that killed David Waag and Connor Williams, both Greenon students.

Trending - Most Read Stories