log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, June 02, 2016 @ 5:32 PM
Updated: Saturday, June 04, 2016 @ 1:56 PM
UPDATE @ 10:18 a.m. June 4
Prior to sentencing Ex-Oakwood and Stanford University swimmer Brock Allen Turner to six months in jail for three counts of sexual assault, a California judge heard the victim in the case read her impact statement aloud in court.
Turner was convicted in March of assault with intent to commit rape of an intoxicated/unconscious person; penetration of an intoxicated person; and penetration of an unconscious person.
In January 2015, two people witnessed the unconscious victim being assaulted by Turner behind a dumpster on Stanford’s campus according to a release from District Attorney Jeff Rosen. Turner ran but the witnesses stopped and held him until police arrived.
Rosen said in a prepared statement that he was disappointed in Judge Aaron Persky’s sentence, stating the offender has failed to take responsibility and show remorse.
“The punishment does not fit the crime,” Rosen said in a prepared statement. “The sentence does not factor in the true seriousness of this sexual assault, or the victim’s ongoing trauma. Campus rape is no different than off-campus rape. Rape is rape. And I will prosecute it as such.”
In reading her impact statement to the court prior to sentencing, the victim addressed the defendant, “You took away my worth, my privacy, my energy, my time, my intimacy, my confidence, my own voice, until today.”
“The damage is done, no one can undo it,” the victim’s statement reads. “And now we both have a choice. We can let this destroy us, I can remain angry and hurt and you can be in denial, or we can face it head on, I accept the pain, you accept the punishment, and we move on.”
As part of the sentence, Turner must register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.
District Attorney Rosen released the victim’s full statement to the public.
Ex-Oakwood High School/Stanford swimmer Brock Allen Turner has been sentenced to six months in county jail in Palo Alto, Calif., for sexually assaulting an unconscious intoxicated woman.
With good behavior, he could be out in three months, then must complete three years of probation, the Mercury News is reporting.
He was remanded to custody after the decision by Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky.
Turner’s attorneys said they plan to appeal the conviction.
After the verdict, District Attorney Jeff Rosen said Turner should have been sent to prison for sexual assault. “The punishment does not fit the crime,” he said.
Deputy District Attorney Alaleh Kianerci had called Turner a “continued threat to the community” and asked the judge to sentence him to six years in state prison.
Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 9:33 AM
Updated: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 1:04 PM
LAKE WALES, Fla. —
Lake Wales police are searching for those responsible for igniting two marine flares Sunday evening near the entrance of the JC Penney at the Eagle Ridge Mall Sunday evening.
Firefighters responded to reports of an explosion at the mall on 451 Eagle Ridge Drive around 5:20 p.m.
Firefighters initially said that an improvised explosive device had been detonated in a corridor located next to the mall entrance of JC Penney.
Improvised explosive device detonated near JC Penney at Lake Wales mall https://t.co/4lXFZKQkr6— WFTV Eyewitness News (@WFTV) January 22, 2018
The FBI later determined that there was no explosion and no pipe bombs were discovered. Officials also said that the incident didn’t appear to be terrorism-related.
"It appears two items, believed to be marine flares, were ignited in a mall hallway, creating a large amount of smoke, and a backpack was located at the scene," said Andrea Aprea, an FBI spokeswoman. "Bomb technicians examined the contents of the backpack and determined it did not contain any incendiary or explosive devices."
A witness who called 911 told WFTV that she heard a fire alarm sound and saw orange smoke billowing from an object.
The mall was evacuated. No one was injured, but a ceiling and a wall were damaged by the flares, officials said.
After speaking with witnesses, police said they are looking for a person of interest described as a stocky, middle-aged white man wearing a gray shirt and a hat.
Detectives said they will review surveillance footage recorded at a jewelry store in the mall.
Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 12:37 PM
FAIRFIELD TWP. — Fairfield Twp. police are working to piece the different angles recorded by Walmart security cameras to get a better understanding of what happened when a 17-year-old boy was shot in a suspected drug deal gone bad on Saturday.
The teenager, according to witnesses, allegedly set up a drug deal at 3 p.m. Saturday in the parking lot of Walmart on Princeton Road. The alleged deal was set up through a social media interaction, said Fairfield Twp. Police Capt. Doug Lanier.
INITIAL REPORT: Police looking for Walmart shooter
“I believe it occurs quite frequently, which could occur in any parking lot,” he said of alleged drug deals set up via social media. “People do it because they feel it’s a safe place to make the transaction in public, but of course it still doesn’t prevent problems like this one, which was in broad daylight.”
During the alleged drug deal, a male subject shot the teen in the leg. The teen then accelerated his vehicle forward and struck multiple vehicles and a shopping cart corral.
The alleged shooter is described as a light-skin, mixed-race male, possibly 16 to 19 years old, around 5-foot-6 to 5-foot-7 and 135 pounds with black curly hair and a goatee. The suspect, who was wearing a dark jacket and dark sweatpants, fled the scene on foot, running westbound across the Walmart parking lot.
Lanier said the suspect was dropped off at Walmart in a stolen red four-door 2007 Toyota Camry with a sunroof. The vehicle was stolen on the west side of Cincinnati on Friday, Lanier said. Police found the stolen vehicle.
Lanier said the 17-year-old’s name is not being released because he is a juvenile victim, and he has been released from West Chester Hospital. When asked if he could be charged with selling drugs, Lanier said, “It’s still under investigation.”
Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 12:41 PM
The wrongful death lawsuit filed by the sister of a man “buried alive” when a Washington Twp. trench collapsed in June 2016 is on hold because one of the defendants has filed bankruptcy.
Montgomery County Common Pleas Court Judge Erik Blaine dismissed the case involving the death of James B. Rogers, 33, of Winchester, because South Dayton Builders and Remodelers Inc. owner Timothy Scott Dickey filed for Chapter 7 in Dayton’s U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
Rogers’ sister, Tara Brown, filed the suit in late November against the house’s developer, contractor and a subcontractor.
Blaine ruled that the suit can be reactivated when the bankruptcy case is complete.
“The family understands the legal process can move slowly but remains confident justice will be served,” said Brown’s attorney, Craig Matthews.
Rogers died June 15, 2016, after a 12-foot deep trench collapsed on him while working for KRW Plumbing of Jamestown, a company that had a trench collapse about a month earlier at another job site, according to Occupational Safety and Health Administrations (OSHA) records.
Emergency personnel worked for nearly seven hours to extricate Rogers’ body at 463 Claxton Glen near Marshall Road.
The named defendants are Dickey, KRW Plumbing and its owner Richard S. “Rick” Williams and real estate developer and investor Donald C. Wright.
Wright owned the lot and South Dayton Builders and Remodelers hired KRW Plumbing, according to the complaint.
Matthews already has filed a motion to reactivate the case but Blaine has not yet ruled on it.
In his bankruptcy filing, Dickey checked boxes indicating he had between 100 and 199 creditors, had assets from $100,001-$500,000 and liabilities from $500,001 to $1 million.
Specifically, Dickey wrote that he had $136,197 in assets, liabilities of $620,195 and a monthly income of $5,156.
Messages seeking comment have been left with attorneys for KRW Plumbing and Don Wright.
KRW’s attorney denied the plaintiff’s substantive allegations in an answer filed in court.
Don Wright’s attorney denied the plaintiff’s substantive allegations in an answer and cross-claim, writing that Rogers’ death is “the direct and proximate result of the negligence and/or intervening and superseding acts and/or omissions of named or unnamed defendants and/or third parties over whom this answering Defendant had no direction or control.”
Wright’s attorney wrote that any liability found in Brown’s favor is solely that of the other named defendants.
Dickey has no defense attorney listed in court dockets, but a message seeking comment was sent to his bankruptcy lawyer.
Published: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 11:37 AM
BUTLER COUNTY — A fired Butler County corrections officer accused of engaging in sexual activity with an inmate was in court with her attorney on Monday, but the case was continued before it was called on Judge Greg Stephens’ docket.
Nakisha Newell, 28, of Monroe, was arrested Nov. 27 after a day-long investigation by the sheriff’s office. She was indicted in December on two counts of sexual battery (both felonies) and illegal conveyance into a detention facility (a misdemeanor) for allegedly having sex with a male inmate at the Hanover Street corrections facility.
Newell was scheduled for a pre-trial hearing on Monday, but that hearing was continued until Feb. 26. She is free on $5,000 bond.
During arraignment last month, Newell’s attorney, Mike Allen, entered a not guilty plea on Newell’s behalf. He told the judge that Newell is the mother of four children and not a flight risk.
Newell, who was employed as a corrections officer for 18 months, is accused of having sex with an inmate between Oct. 14 and Nov. 24. She is also accused of delivering a white iPhone to the inmate while he was in jail.
Butler County Sheriff’s Office Maj. Mike Craft said an observant corrections sergeant brought information to administrators, and an investigation into possible criminal activity began.
During questioning about the contraband, Newell confessed to having sex with a male inmate, Craft said.