log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 @ 9:58 AM
Updated: Thursday, June 23, 2016 @ 9:55 AM
SPRINGFIELD — UPDATE @ 9:55 a.m. (June 23):
An investigation is underway into a breakdown in Clark County Common Pleas court protocol that allowed Hand to sneak his own feces into the courtroom and throw it at people.
Ricky Hand, 46, of Springfield, was being sentenced for a series of armed robberies Wednesday and hid bottles full of bodily fluids in his pants to smuggle them into the courtroom, said Clark County Sheriff Gene Kelly. Hand should have been checked before being allowed before a judge, Kelly said.
“If we would have followed our procedures and policies this would not have happened,” Kelly said.
Hand pleaded guilty earlier this month to a string of armed robberies. Police said he robbed more than a dozen business, many with a weapon.
Wednesday he first apologized for the crime spree and told Common Pleas Judge Richard O’Neill he was fueled by his drug addiction.
“I need help with the core of my problem, and that’s drugs,” Hand said.
Hand was facing a possible 52 years in prison for his guilty pleas to seven of the original 30 charges for which a Clark County grand jury indicted him.
O’Neill sentenced Hand to 40 years in prison for the crimes, and then Hand appeared to get upset. He looked repeatedly at his lawyer asking “40 years?”
Then Hand interrupted the judge. “Did you just give me 40 years, sir?”
When the judge replied “Yes,” Hand stood up and pulled a bottle from his pants, flinging the contents that hit his defense lawyer. Court deputies and a Springfield Police Division officer quickly tackled Hand.
The bottle contained Hand’s feces and urine, he told investigators. He had four bottles hidden when he went into court, Kelly said.
Hand told detectives he hid bottles of his own feces and urine in bottles his cell for weeks, then put them in his pants before he was taken to the courtroom.
The liquids hit his lawyer and four deputies during the attack, investigators said.
Clark County Sheriff’s Office protocol states any defendants escorted by deputies to court are to be checked before they enter the court and before they leave court.
“It’s very clear and our policies I believe are very strong,” Kelly said.
Deputies have been told to review the policies and an internal investigation into what went wrong is ongoing, the sheriff said.
Hand was back in court Thursday morning to face five new charges of harassment with a bodily substance.
Hand allegedly used a gun in 11 of the 13 business crimes he committed, according to court documents.
He admitted to police he broke into or robbed a variety of businesses across the city, including drive-thrus, bars, a nail salon and restaurants like Burger King and Long John Silvers, investigators said.
UPDATE @ 5:56 p.m. (June 22): Ricky Hand now faces an additional charges in the feces-slinging incident.
The charges include five counts harassment with bodily substance — one for his attorney and four deputies; obstructing official business; and retaliation. He will be in Clark County Municipal Court on Thursday.
Hand had four water bottles concealed in his arm sling and pants that he admitted were full of his urine and feces.
In another development, an investigation has begun into the breakdown in Common Pleas Court that allowed Hand to sneak bodily fluid and substance into the room.
Hand should have been checked before being allowed before a judge, Sheriff Gene Kelly said.
A man who was being sentenced for a string of robberies across Springfield threw feces during his sentencing this morning.
Ricky Hand concealed the feces on his person and threw it after he was sentenced to 40 years in prison for his role in the robberies.
Hand faced 30 charges of breaking and entering, safe-cracking, aggravated robbery, abduction and attempted safe-cracking, in April, according to court records. He pleaded guilty to seven of the original charges in a Clark County Common Pleas courtroom earlier this month.
Hand previously served prison time.
On Oct. 2011, Hand pleaded guilty in a robbery case and was sentenced to four years in prison for the crime, according to Clark County court records.
He was out of prison and on parole for less than six months before his last crime spree started in January of this year.
In court Wednesday, Hand interrupted the judge before the outburst.
“Did you just give me 40 years, sir? You just gave me 40 years…. Well guess what?” Hand said and then reached for something in a sling he was wearing.
He pulled out the feces and threw it, hitting his defense lawyer. He was then tackled by deputies in the court, where he told them he had multiple bottles of the feces hidden on his body.
The sergeant in charge of court deputies said it was not protocol to pat down defendants as they are brought to court from the Clark County Jail, because they are coming straight from their jail cells. The sergeant said that will likely change after this outburst.
Prosecutors said they will review evidence from the courtroom and Hand could face more charges for the court disruption.
Hand is currently booked in the Clark County Jail awaiting his transfer to the Ohio Department of Corrections.
Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 5:43 PM
DAYTON — It’s any parents, and kids, worst nightmare. Strangers, trying to bust down the front door of a dayton home, just minutes after parents left for work, and their 11-year-old kids home alone.
Dayton police have opened an investigation. A security camera on a neighbor’s house on holly avenue in dayton captured the faces of two men, wearing lanyards, going door to door. They avoided homes with visible security cameras.
They moved on to the house where two kids were home alone. They began banging on the front door for approximately ten minutes, according to a Dayton Police report. Then the men began thrusting their shoulders against the door.
"When you do that to our front door, our whole house shakes, so our kids were pretty upset,” said Christina Baine, the children’s mother.
Her two kids never approached or opened the door, just as they were taught.
“After a few times of doing that, he did retreat and leave," added Baine.
Surveillance video is the best lead police have to go on right now. We’ve blurred their faces because they have not been charged with a crime. When we showed the video to neighbors along Holly Avenue, the remembered the men walking the sidewalks and thought they looked suspicious.
Now the Baine family has installed its own security cameras.
Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 1:34 PM
— A Greenon High School student has been charged in connection with a crash that killed another student in October.
Andrew J. Scott, 16, faces charges of vehicular homicide and vehicular manslaughter in Clark County Juvenile Court.
Kendal “Kenny” DePhillip, a junior, died while a passenger in a car that crashed shortly before 4:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 17, on Fowler Road between Rebert Pike and Broadway Road in Clark County.
Scott allegedly went off the right side of the road, clipped a telephone pole and then hit another pole, Ohio State Highway Patrol troopers said. Scott sustained non-life threatening injuries, troopers said.
Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 3:19 PM
The auto dealership owner found shot to death inside his business on Monday was a U.S. Army Vietnam War veteran who loved horses and cars, according to an online obituary.
Frank D. Buck, 71, and his friend, Lester Golson, 59, were both found dead of apparent gunshot wounds inside of Buck-I Auto Sales after what Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office deputies said was a struggle involving a gun.
Investigators were not searching for anyone after the shooting, believing that the incident was “contained” inside the dealership at 2801 N. Dixie Drive.
Buck operated his car dealership for more than 30 years, the obit said. Services were pending at Newcomer North Chapel, 4104 Needmore Rd. The obit said contributions to help pay for expenses can be made through the funeral home’s website.
Buck is survived by his children, Shelly Buck, Laura Hurst, Candace Buck and Frank DJ Buck, six grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, ex-wife Penny Buck and many relatives and friends, according to Buck’s obituary.
“My father was a loving man would do anything in the world for just about anybody, he was loved by a lot he was always smiling, laughing, and joking around,” Candace Buck told this news organization earlier this week. “My condolences are with the Golson family during this very hard time.”
FIRST REPORT: 2 men found shot to death inside auto dealership
Golson’s obituary is not yet available. Efforts to get comment from his family or friends have been unsuccessful.
Buck-I Auto Sales was broken into Jan. 5, 2016, according to a sheriff’s incident report that said one of the windows in an overhead door was smashed.
A friend, not Golson, of Buck’s who was watching the business while Buck was out of town called police. That report said there were no surveillance cameras on the property.
Nearly three weeks later from the first incident, another report said a car was stolen but recovered from the Jan. 5, 2016 crime and that it appeared that the dealership was vandalized again as part of an effort to steal a car. A different stolen car was located in November 2016, according to sheriff’s office incident reports.
“It is my understanding Mr. Buck was putting up cameras,” a Jan. 23, 2016 report read, adding that there were no suspects and no leads.
A woman who tried to get into the business Monday and saw one man point a gun at another then called 911 to report that she saw people get into a “tussle” before she heard three gunshots.
In the sometimes frantic 6-minute call at 1:22 p.m., the woman said, “I was trying to get to my car and get to the phone to call the police then I heard gunshots.”
Deputies investigating the shootings earlier this week did not locate any surveillance cameras at the property.
The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office on Thursday said the two men’s cause and manner of death were still listed as “pending” due to the ongoing investigation.
Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 11:54 AM
DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. — A father is in custody after police say he intentionally killed his 5-year-old son at a DeKalb County, Georgia, home Wednesday night.
It was not immediately clear what led to the homicide or how the boy was killed.
According to police, the child lived at a home on Rocky Pine Drive in Lithonia with his grandmother. His parents drove from California for an unannounced visit Wednesday, authorities said.
The boy’s mother and grandmother left the home, returned and “learned that the child had been murdered,” police spokeswoman Shiera Campbell told WSBTV.
Police say parents came from California unannounced to visit their five year old son who lived with his grandmother. While the mother and grandmother were out of the house police say the father killed the boy. The mother is cooperating and is not a suspect. pic.twitter.com/6g3rNOgkDO— Carl Willis (@CarlWillisWSB) February 22, 2018
Three other children were inside the home at the time of the killing, but were not injured, the news station reported.
Police have not released the names of the father and child.
"Right now, the father is in custody,” Campbell said. “He is a 25-year-old male.”
Authorities continued to investigate the incident Thursday.