log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Saturday, February 03, 2018 @ 5:06 PM
Updated: Saturday, February 03, 2018 @ 8:40 PM
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 8:40 p.m.
A 71-year-old woman drove herself to the hospital this evening after she was shot in the head, caught in the crossfire after two cars were involved in a shootout.
“She was struck in the head one time with a bullet as she was driving down the street, minding her own business," Dayton police Lt. Steven Bauer said.
The woman initially was considered critically injured, but now is expected to survive and is making a recovery at Miami Valley Hospital, Bauer said.
A 911 caller reported at 4:37 p.m. the occupants of a vehicle, possibly a black Monte Carlo, were shooting at another car as they headed west on West Third Street in the area of the VA Hospital.
“Two cars just went by me, a black car and a white car. The black car was shooting like crazy at the people in the white car,” the woman said.
The woman who was shot was driving a red Buick. Miami Valley Hospital police said there was a bullet hole through her windshield.
Dayton police shut down a portion of West Third Street between Mia Avenue to just past Elmhurst Road for at least a couple hours as they investigated.
The white and black cars involved in the shootout remain at large, and there are no suspects, Bauer said.
UPDATE @ 7:50 p.m.
A 71-year-old woman who was shot when the occupants of two cars were involved in a shootout is expected to survive.
The woman, whose name was not released, underwent surgery and is recovering at Miami Valley Hospital. Initially, her condition was described as critical after she was brought to the hospital in a red vehicle.
The two vehicles involved, a black Monte Carlo and white sedan, remain at large, police said.
UPDATE @ 7:25 p.m.
West Third Street is back open following a police investigation into a shooting earlier this evening that left one person in critical condition.
UPDATE @ 6:50 p.m.
A woman was critically wounded this evening when she was caught in the crossfire on West Third Street as two vehicles were involved in a shootout.
The woman was riding in a red vehicle that was not involved in the shootings. She was brought in that red car to Miami Valley Hospital, where police said she was in surgery after she suffered a gunshot wound to the head. Her name has not been released.
West Third Street is shut down in the area of Mia Avenue and Elmhurst Road near the VA Hospital. Police tape is up around the street, and homicide detectives have been called, as is procedure with serious shootings.
According to initial reports, occupants of a black Monte Carlo and white sedan were shooting at each other when the woman in the red car was struck. It’s not clear whether anyone else was injured.
A gunshot victim showed up early this evening at Miami Valley Hospital.
Police first received reports shortly before 4:40 p.m. that occupants inside a black Monte Carlo were shooting at a white sedan in the area of Third and Infirmary streets, according to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center.
By 4:45 p.m., hospital staff reported that a gunshot victim was in their emergency room.
The victim’s name, age and condition was not available.
Published: Saturday, February 10, 2018 @ 2:45 AM
Updated: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 11:30 PM
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 11:30 p.m. (Feb. 23)
A 59-year-old Dayton man is pleading not guilty to stabbing a woman earlier this month at the Victorian Manor Apartments in Dayton.
Westley Johnson was arraigned Friday in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court on two counts of felonious assault in the Feb. 10 stabbing of a 55-year-old woman at the apartment in the 300 block of South Main Street.
Bond is $50,000 for Johnson, who has been held in the Montgomery County Jail since his Feb. 10 arrest. He next will appear March 8 in court, online jail and court records show.
INITIAL REPORT (Feb. 10)
Dayton police arrested the man they say was involved in a stabbing in the 300 block of South Main Street.
Westley Johnson, 59, was arrested on the scene and was booked into the Montgomery County Jail on suspicion of felonious assault, records show.
Johnson was accused of stabbing a 55-year-old woman at the Victorian Manor Apartments, according to a Dayton police report.
We’re hearing the victim may have been stabbed in the neck. The victim has been taken to Miami Valley Hospital.
OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Gangs are terrorizing community, sheriff says
The incident was reported just after 2 a.m.
We have a crew on scene. We will update this report as we get information.
Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 @ 3:04 PM
Updated: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 8:19 PM
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 4:30 p.m. (Feb. 23): A 17-year-old male has been arrested and booked into the Montgomery County Juvenile Detention Center on a preliminary charge of murder in the Feb. 16 shooting of 22-year-old Keyona Murray, Dayton police said.
The teenager has a criminal history, according to investigators.
Court officials said he has been in trouble before on charges that include delinquency by reason of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, delinquency by reason of breaking and entering and delinquency by reason of burglary.
Officials said he had recently completed probation.
Police said the teen was taken into custody today at a residence on Gard Avenue in Dayton.
A detention hearing is scheduled for Saturday morning.
A reward of up to $2,500 is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of anyone involved in the shooting death of a woman shot in front of two children on Feb. 16.
Keyona Murray, 22, died at Miami Valley Hospital after medics took her from a home in the 100 block of Lorenz Avenue in Dayton where she had been shot in the head, according to police.
Murray was sitting in a bedroom with her 2-year-old child, 2-year-old nephew and another adult when someone fired numerous times into the house.
Miami Valley Crime Stoppers is offering the reward and said anyone providing tips can remain anonymous.
“We also know that in all likelihood, someone in the community knows who committed this heinous crime, so Miami Valley Crime Stoppers is offering up to a $2,500 reward for information leading to the arrest or arrests of anyone involved,” the organization said in a prepared statement.
“Keyona succumbed to her injuries later that night, leaving many to mourn her loss after this senseless act of violence.”
Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to email@example.com
Published: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 6:00 PM
Updated: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 8:40 PM
OAKWOOD — UPDATE @ 8:40 p.m.
Police are seeking the public’s help to find the bank robber who held up LCNB.
The suspect entered Lebanon Citizens National Bank, 2705 Far Hills Ave., around 5:30 p.m., demanded money and left with an undisclosed amount of cash, Oakwood police Lt. Chuck Balaj said.
No weapon was seen, and the suspect left in a black Pontiac G6.
Anyone with information is urged to call Oakwood police at 937-298-2122 or Crime Stoppers at 937-222-STOP(7867).
Police were called this evening to a report of a bank robbery at LCNB.
The alarm was sounded around 5:40 p.m. at Lebanon Citizens National Bank, 2705 Far Hills Ave., according to police scanner traffic.
Oakwood police said the matter was under investigation and would not release any details.
According to initial reports, a dye pack exploded on the suspect, described as a man in his 50s who stands between 5 feet 6 and 5 feet 7 inches and was wearing a black ball cap and black sweater. He reportedly fled in a black Pontiac G6 south on Far Hills Avenue.
The suspect did not show a weapon but kept his hand inside his pocket, according to initial reports.
We have a crew on the way to the scene and will update this report.
Published: Friday, February 23, 2018 @ 1:44 PM
FAIRBORN — One of the two students arrested Thursday at Fairborn Baker Junior High is accused of standing up in class and naming off people he wanted to kill, according to a police report obtained by this news organization.
The incident with the 12-year-old boy happened, police said, at the same time an 11-year-old girl was separately placed into custody on suspicion of spreading a message on Snapchat indicating “Fairborn schools next” in the “shoot SHS” threat that spread across the region and into other parts of the country Thursday.
Police documents show a third threat — a Snapchat video of a man holding a gun “for Baker Junior High in 7th period” — could not be traced and no subjects could be identified.
The 12-year-old boy is charged with inducing panic and aggravated menacing, both misdemeanors. He has not yet appeared in court.
The 11-year-old girl is charged with misdemeanor inducing panic and making terroristic threats, a felony. A judge entered a plea of denial for her on Friday. She is ordered to stay in juvenile detention custody.
This news organization is not naming either individual at this time because they are not charged as adults.
The incidents Thursday set off an emotional and chaotic morning across Fairborn City Schools. While the “Fairborn schools next” Snapchat originated at the junior high, another student, who is not charged, allegedly forwarded the arrested student’s threatening message to students at the high school in an effort to warn her friends there, police said.
The high school then went on “level 2” lockdown at the request of the school’s principal, meaning all exterior doors were secured and all students were sheltered-in-place with doors locked, according to the police report. Police interviewed the uncharged female student, who identified the 11-year-old charged with originating the Fairborn-based threat.
According to the police report, the charged 11-year-old female “did not think it was a ‘big deal’” and “became upset and did not want to speak after she was placed in custody.”
The police report said the 12-year-old boy — accused of standing up in class and saying “I’m not saying I am the shooter, but I am not saying I’m not” before rattling off student names — “admitted to the allegations, and added that the people he named ‘frustrate’ him.”
At least five students — one from Springfield, one from Piqua, two from Fairborn and another from New Lebanon — were arrested Thursday, police said.
More local reporting from the Dayton Daily News:
» HUBER HEIGHTS: Retiring Huber Heights fire chaplain ‘honored’ to serve 18 years