breaking news


Baby formula scare

Published: Thursday, July 13, 2017 @ 1:21 PM

Baby formula scare

Her baby was sick for days. Why one mom blames the formula she fed her baby on News Center 7 Monday beginning at 5 p.m.

Fairfield Twp.’s new police chief once Dayton’s assistant chief

Published: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 @ 7:27 PM


            Retired Dayton assistant police chief Robert Chabali was hired Wednesday night as Fairfield Twp.’s new police chief. MICHAEL D. PITMAN/STAFF
Retired Dayton assistant police chief Robert Chabali was hired Wednesday night as Fairfield Twp.’s new police chief. MICHAEL D. PITMAN/STAFF

Fairfield Twp. trustees unanimously hired retired Dayton assistant police chief Robert Chabali as the township’s top cop.

Chabali was selected out of 15 applicants for the position that became open following the resignation of former chief Matt Fruchey at the end of March.

EARLIER: Trustees interview 3 police chief candidates

Chabali retired from the Dayton Police Department. He was the assistant police chief from 2012 until 2015 and spent 36 years with the department.

From late March until Wednesday night, Fairfield Twp. police Sgt. Doug Lanier had served as acting chief, and was one of the three finalists for the job.

Trump to reinstate military ban on transgender people

Published: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 @ 6:14 PM


            President Donald Trump speaks to boys and girls with the American Legion’s youth programs, in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington, July 26, 2017. Trump’s declaration that transgender individuals would be barred from military service was met with surprise at the Pentagon, outrage from advocacy groups and praise from social conservatives on Wednesday. (Justin Gilliland/The New York Times)
President Donald Trump speaks to boys and girls with the American Legion’s youth programs, in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington, July 26, 2017. Trump’s declaration that transgender individuals would be barred from military service was met with surprise at the Pentagon, outrage from advocacy groups and praise from social conservatives on Wednesday. (Justin Gilliland/The New York Times)

President Donald Trump said Wednesday he wants transgender people barred from serving in the U.S. military “in any capacity,” citing “tremendous medical costs and disruption.”

Trump’s announcement on Twitter would reverse the effort under President Barack Obama to open the armed services to transgender people. He did not say what would happen to transgender troops already in the military.

The president tweeted that he was making his announcement after consulting with “generals and military experts,” but he did not name any. He said the military “must be focused on decisive and overwhelming victory and cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail.”

RELATED: Trump says bar transgender troops from military

Gage A. Gatlyn, 39, of Dayton, who served in the Army Reserve as a transgender male and celebrated Obama’s decision to lift the military transgender ban last year, said Wednesday that Trump’s announcement was “a huge step back.”

“It’s really appalling and it’s sad all at the same time because I know they’re worried about all these billions of dollars that they’re not going to spend on transgender surgeries, but they’re turning away perfectly healthy candidates that could serve our military and serve our country,” he said.

Gatlyn, who served in both the Navy and Army, said he joined the military as a female before transitioning to a male in his last stint with the Army Reserve. He left the military in 2005.

“I did the (physical fitness) tests by the male standards, I kept my hair cut to the male standards and I lived as a male and I had no problems whatsoever from anybody in my (Army) company,” said Gatlyn, who was concerned about future military service of transgender service members in uniform today.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders offered little clarity about the policy at a press briefing. Asked what will happen to transgender troops currently serving, she said the Department of Defense and the White House will work together “as implementation takes place and is done so lawfully.”

The latest: Gore slams Trump military transgender ban

She did not provide a timeline.

Sanders described the move as a “military decision.” She said Trump was concerned the current policy is “expensive and disruptive” and “erodes military readiness and military cohesion.” She said the secretary of defense was notified yesterday after Trump made the decision.

Randy S. Phillips, president of the Dayton LGBT Center, criticized Trump’s announcement.

“We’re extremely sadden and taken aback by this,” he said. “It’s a huge slap in the face to each of those people that have signed up to serve our country openly and honestly. It’s a very sad state of affairs.”

Some conservative organizations hailed the decision.

Family Research Council President Tony Perkins applauded Trump for “keeping his promise to return to military priorities — and not continue the social experimentation of the Obama era that has crippled our nation’s military.”

Phone and email messages seeking comment on Trump’s decision were left Wednesday with a spokeswoman in the office of U.S. Rep. Mike Turner, R-Dayton. The congressman, who has Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in his district, is a member of the House Armed Services Committee.

The latest: House rejects transgender ban measure for troops

At the Pentagon, members of the staff of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis appeared to have been caught unaware by Trump’s tweets. A Pentagon spokesman, Navy Capt. Jeff Davis, referred questions to the White House.

Davis said the Pentagon is working with the White House to “address” what he called “the new guidance” from the president. He said the Pentagon will provide revised guidance to Defense Department officials “in the near future.”

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base released a similar statement Wednesday that referred additional questions to the White House. Wright-Patterson spokeswoman Marie Vanover indicated she did not have information on how many transgender airmen at the base might be impacted by the decision.

Members of Congress seemed caught by surprise. Asked if he was notified in advance about the announcement, Sen. John Thune, R-S.D., said, “No. I read about it when you reported it.”

Transgender service members have been able to serve openly in the military since last year, when former Defense Secretary Ash Carter ended the ban. Since last Oct. 1, they have been able to receive medical care and start formally changing their gender identifications in the Pentagon’s personnel system.

Carter also gave the services until July 1 to develop policies to allow people already identifying as transgender to newly join the military. Mattis announced earlier this month that he was giving military chiefs another six months to conduct a review to determine if allowing transgender individuals to enlist in the armed services would affect the “readiness or lethality” of the force.

Already, there are as many as 250 service members in the process of transitioning to their preferred genders or who have been approved to formally change gender within the Pentagon’s personnel system, according to several defense officials.

The Pentagon has refused to release any data on the number of transgender troops currently serving. A Rand Corp. study last year estimated about 2,450 transgender people in active military, out of about 1.3 million troops.

On cost, the study said only a subset would seek gender transition related treatment, estimating that health care costs would increase by between $2.4 million and $8.4 million annually, or a 0.04 percent to 0.13 percent increase in spending on active military.

The issue of transgender troops was debated recently in the GOP-led House, which narrowly rejected a measure that would have forbidden the Pentagon from paying for gender transition surgeries and hormone therapy. Supporters saw the measure as an opportunity to roll back what they called Obama’s social engineering of the armed forces. But Democrats criticized the proposal as bigoted and unconstitutional, and they won enough Republican support to block it.

Trump’s decision drew swift outrage from LGBT groups and from lawmakers from both parties.

Sen. Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, a double amputee veteran of the Iraq War, said that when her Black Hawk helicopter was shot down, she didn’t care “if the American troops risking their lives to help save me were gay, straight, transgender or anything else. All that mattered was they didn’t leave me behind.”

Sen. John McCain, the Arizona Republican who chairs the Senate Armed Services Committee, said the tweet was “another example of why major policy announcements should not be made via Twitter.”

Stacy D. Sandberg, who has served as the Dayton PFLAG transgender committee chairperson, said in an email Trump’s action was “strictly political in an attempt to not (lose) more of the Republican base. Throwing brave and honorable service members under the campaign bus is reprehensible.

Son charged in father’s death admits heroin run before calling 911

Published: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 @ 6:47 PM

Freddie Green was pressed by prosecutors about his actions during his trial for his father's murder.

An accused killer in court on Tuesday admitted waiting four hours, during which time he drove to Dayton for heroin, before calling 911 for help for the victim, his father.

Freddie Green, 42, took the witness stand during the second day of his trial on murder and felonious assault charges in Warren County Common Pleas Court.

“You had all the time in the world,” Assistant County Prosecutor Steven Knippen said during cross examination. “You let him die on the bedroom floor.”

Green admitted this and driving to the Dayton area for heroin Dec. 2 before calling 911. He said he planned to commit suicide with the drugs.

RELATED: Heroin addiction at center of murder trial in Warren County

Green said he was unsure what to do after shooting his father out of fear he would pull out another gun after they struggled on Dec. 2 in the bedroom of a home they shared in Lebanon.

“My father was known to have multiple weapons,” he said. “The possibility was there.”

A syringe containing the illegal drugs was found in the kitchen when police arrived on Dec. 2 to find Sidney Green, 64, dead in the bedroom from a single gunshot to the back of his head.

RELATED: Son to stand trial for father’s murder

If convicted, Freddie Green faces up to 15 years to life in prison.

RELATED: Follow Lawrence Budd on Twitter

When he did call 911, Green said, “I took it from him. I fired and I shot him,” he said. “I took the gun from him. He said something about grabbing another gun, so I fired.”

RELATED: Son claims he shot father in self defense

Under questioning Tuesday from lawyer Jeff Richards, Green answered, “Absolutely,” when asked if he still believed he had done the right thing.

RELATED: Son accused of delaying 911 call after father’s shooting

His father was one of six victims of deadly domestic violence in the last half of 2016 in Warren County.

RELATED: Experts work for antidotes to deadly domestic violence

The jury is expected to begin deliberating on Wednesday.

Jury deliberating in heroin-related murder trial in Warren County

Published: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 @ 11:14 AM

Freddie Green faces up to 15 years to life in prison if convicted of murdering his father.

A jury is deliberating in the murder trial of a Lebanon man accused of killing his father in December in Warren County.

Freddie Green, 42, is accused in the Dec. 2 fatal shooting of his father, Sidney Green, 64, in a rented home they shared in Lebanon.

The jury began deliberations at 10:57 a.m. Wednesday, the third day of the trial in Warren County Common Pleas Court.

On Tuesday while testifying, Green admitted waiting four hours, during which time he drove to Dayton for heroin, before calling 911 for help for his father.

RELATED: Son made heroin run before calling 911 after shooting father

Green said he planned to commit suicide with the drugs.

RELATED: Heroin addiction at center of murder trial in Warren County

Green said he was unsure what to do after shooting his father out of fear he would pull out another gun after they struggled in the bedroom of a duplex in Lebanon.

A syringe containing the illegal drugs was found in the kitchen when police arrived to find Sidney Green dead in the bedroom from a single gunshot to the back of his head.

RELATED: Son to stand trial for father’s murder

Green is charged with murder and felonious assault.

If convicted, he faces as much as 15 years to life in prison.

RELATED: Follow Lawrence Budd on Twitter

His father was one of six victims of deadly domestic violence in the last half of 2016 in Warren County.