A home herb garden is a fun, simple project that brings nature inside your home. Building a home herb garden can be as cheap as a few dollars to set up.
- Pots: There are cheaper options like plastic, or more decorative like ceramic pots, tin pails, or mason jars
- Seeds: Simply choose whichever herbs you wish to grow
- Soil: Choose a good quality potting mixture that is moisture retentive (not garden soil)
- Fertilizer: Get a food source ideal for the plants you plan to grow
- Optional: Rope can be used to hang pails or platforms to create a hanging herb garden
If you have enough space on a windowsill, you can simply place pots of your choice right on the ledge.
If your windowsills are thin, or you're going for a more decorative look, a hanging herbal garden may be a better option for you.
Either way, your imagination is the limit when it comes to the overall look of your herb garden.
Once you've decided on the style, choose a window where the plants will see at least 4 hours of sunlight. South facing windows are ideal.