Brett is an Emmy-award winning Meteorologist for WHIO. He came to the Miami Valley from Texas where he spent a number of years working as a Meteorologist for a local television station in Tyler. Originally from the Detroit area, Brett is an avid Red Wings, Lions and Tigers fan. Brett attended Central Michigan University where he received his Bachelor of Science in Meteorology. In the fall of 2013, Brett was awarded the Certified Broadcast Meteorologist designation from the American Meteorological Society. In the summer of 2017, he was awarded an Emmy for his part of the WHIO-TV severe weather special: Surviving The Storm. Brett is also an Ohio Society of Professional Journalists award nominee. Brett and his wife are proud parents of their children Matthew and Mackenzie.
“The most satisfying thing about work is helping people; whether it’s as simple as planning a family barbeque, or a severe weather event, helping people understand the weather is the most important aspect of my job. Anytime a storm hits, viewers turn to us for the information they need. It feels good to know that I can help people stay safe. The best thing about being a meteorologist is doing what I love every day, getting to meet great people in the community, and most of all, helping viewers during potentially dangerous weather events. Aside from my passion for weather, I enjoy playing hockey, golf, watching TV and movies and enjoying the outdoors.”
- Where were you born?
- Where did you grow up?
- What was your favorite TV show then?
- What was the first thing you ever wanted to be?
- How might someone have described you in high school?
- What was your first job?
- Bag boy at a local grocery store
- What was your first job in television?
- What do you like about your job?
- I like that I’m able to inform viewers about what to expect and help them plan their day and their activites.
- What do you not like about your job?
- Unfortunately there are times that warnings are ignored, and in some cases lives are lost. That is something that hangs over my head anytime it happens.
- What might people be surprised to know about you?
- I played hockey most of my life, and have had quite a few injuries…including a TON of stitches. Frankly I don’t know the exact number, but it’s a lot.
- What is the hardest thing you ever did?
- Get through college in 4 years. Meteorology is no joke and a lot of people who go down that path tend to switch majors or take more than 4 years.
- What would be a perfect day for you?
- Get a great night’s rest. Waffles for breakfast. Golf in the late morning through afternoon. A steak dinner with baked potato (just butter). A hockey game in the evening. Probably an afternoon nap somewhere in there.
- What advice would you have for someone wanting to go into the business?
- Take joy in what you do, because if you don’t love what you do…than it’s not worth doing.
- If you could only keep one 5-minute tape from your career, what would be on it?
- Cross talk with the anchors and lots of laughter.
- Favorite Book:
- …yea not much of a reader.
- Favorite CBS Show:
- Football. Does that count?
- Favorite Dream Car:
- Favorite Food:
- Favorite Hobby:
- Hockey, Golf, TV and movies.
- Favorite Miami Valley Place:
- I need some suggestions!!!
- Favorite Movie:
- Favorite Music:
- Pretty much any Classic Rock, Eagles, Seger, The Boss, Kid Rock
- Favorite Travel Destination:
Contact Brett Collar