log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 3:49 PM
— The Memorial Tournament announced Wednesday its 43rd field will include Tiger Woods.
Woods, a five-time winner of the event held annually in the Columbus suburb of Dublin, hasn’t regained his once-dominant form after overcoming numerous injuries, but the 42-year-old is still able to move the needle when it comes to golf fans both hard-core and casual.
He has two top 10 finishes in eight starts on the PGA Tour this year, and Jack Nicklaus’ course northwest of Columbus has always been one where he thrived.
Sports Today: Joey Votto learns honesty doesn’t pay, Cavaliers lose despite LeBron's brilliance and Andy Dalton's first take on Billy Price https://t.co/lPZ03EMpnC— daytonsports (@daytonsports) May 16, 2018
Also confirmed to be in the field is current world No. 1 Justin Thomas, who won the Jack Nicklaus Award as the tour player of the year last year, along with Patrick Reed, Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, Jason Day, Bubba Watson, Zach Johnson and Jason Dufner.
“I have been so impressed with Tiger during his comeback, and as I said after last weekend, I think he is on the verge of winning for the first time in several years,” Nicklaus said in a statement. “He’s been very close, and having won five times at Muirfield Village, I wouldn’t be surprised if he contended to win his sixth. Justin Thomas, meanwhile, just ascended to No. 1 in the world, and he has been playing great golf for a while now.”
One day before the real tournament gets started May 31, Woods and former NFL quarterback Peyton Manning will be paired together in the pro-am, which will also includePro Football Hall of Famers Anthony Munoz and LaDainian Tomlinson.Follow @marcushartman
Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 12:54 PM
DAYTON — The University of Dayton shared a video updating the progress of phase two of the three-year, $72 million UD Arena renovation on Friday.
The video shows the seats in the 300 and 400 levels have been removed. They will be replaced by padded seats with cupholders.
» EARLIER COVERAGE: Phase two of renovation may be busiest
UD Arena Director Scott DeBolt walked fans through the changes going on inside and outside the arena.
“The main concentration of phase two is expanding the north side and east side of the building,” DeBolt said.
DeBolt mentioned the expanded concourse area, improved restrooms and an elevator that will provide access to a new landing at the top of the east side 400 level. That area will contain restrooms, expanded handicap seating and concession options.
“The area will provide guests with a dynamic view of the playing floor and the river,” DeBolt said, “all while maintaining the intimacy of the arena.”
Two photos from today of UD Arena as phase two of renovation continues. pic.twitter.com/ikMF0LreZ8— David Jablonski (@DavidPJablonski) July 18, 2018
Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 12:04 PM
CINCINNATI — The Cincinnati Reds will use a six-man starting pitching rotation at least until the trade deadline July 31, though interim manager Jim Riggleman hopes the Reds hang onto Matt Harvey, the player most likely to be dealt.
“I’ve got no indication that he’s going to be traded,” Riggleman said Sunday.
» HAL McCOY: Reds honor 2018 Hall of Fame class
Harvey (5-5, 4.63 ERA) makes his 13th start with the Reds on Sunday, facing the Pittsburg Pirates in the finale of a three-game series at Great American Ball Park. He would make one more start with the Reds if he stays with the team until the trade deadline.
Entering Sunday, the only question with the rotation was who would start Wednesday against the St. Louis Cardinals after Homer Bailey (1-7, 6.68) returns to the rotation Tuesday. Riggleman confirmed that starter will be Sal Romano (5-8, 5.19).
“If we absolutely need (Romano) today in the bullpen,” Riggleman said, “he would pitch today, but we would really try to limit that and see if he would then be able to pitch Wednesday as a starter.”
The six-man rotation could test the bullpen if the Reds stick with it for long because it means the Reds will have one fewer reliever than normal.
Published: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 3:31 PM
DAYTON — Two of the top-10 leading scorers in Dayton Flyers men’s basketball history will join the Ohio Basketball Hall of Fame in 2019.
Roosevelt Chapman and John Horan will be honored on May 18, 2019, at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Columbus.
Chapman is Dayton’s all-time scoring leader. He scored 2,233 points between 1980 and 1984. Horan (1951-55) ranks 10th with 1,757 points.
» LOOKING BACK: Chapman led Dayton to Elite Eight in 1984
Among the other inductees are:
• Beavercreek's Alison Bales, who won two state championships in high school and was a 1,075-point scorer at Duke.
» RELATED: Archdeacon on Bales in 2017
• The late Lauren Hill, who inspired people around the country while battling a brain tumor during her career at the College of Mount St. Joseph.
• Mike Pratt, a Dayton native who attended Meadowdale High School and starred for the Kentucky Wildcats.
• Larry Baker, a St. Paris native who ranks sixth in career scoring at Wittenberg (1,627).
• Steve Moore, a Wittenberg graduate who has turned Wooster in a Division III national powerhouse and ranks second in career victories (822-239) at that level.
• The 1952 and 1953 Middletown High School boys teams that won Class A state championships.
• The 1952 and 1955 Lockland Wayne teams that won Class B state titels.
• Gary Walters, who won 407 games at Newark High School from 1972-1999.
• James Houdeshell, who had 21 winning records in 30 seasons at Findlay College.
• Reginald Lee, who won 434 games Brookhaven High School.
• Muskingum College’s Donna Newberry, the fifth-winningest active women’s coach in NCAA Division III.
• Eastlake North High School’s Kaayla Chones, Ohio's Ms. Basketball in 1998 and 1999.
• Larry Nance, who played seven seasons with the Cleveland Cavaliers.
• Charlie Slack, who starred at Marshall University in the 1950s.
• Former Ohio State Buckeyes Dave Sorenson, Scoonie Penn and Jodi Roth Korbas.
Published: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 11:00 PM
CINCINNATI — Corey Dickerson hit two first-pitch home runs, rookie Nick Kingham overcame another Cincinnati rain delay to pitch six shutout innings and drive in two runs, and the Pittsburgh Pirates beat the Reds 6-2 Saturday for their season-high eighth straight win.
Dickerson homered on the first pitches he saw from Anthony DeSclafani (4-3) in the third and fifth innings for his seventh career multihomer game, helping the Pirates to their longest winning streak since an eight-game stretch Sept. 19-26, 2015.
Josh Bell added four hits, including a run-scoring double in the fourth, to help send the Reds to their third straight loss, their longest slump since a four-game losing streak June 2-6.
The game was delayed 47 minutes by rain in the middle of the fourth inning, one night after the start was held up 2 hours, 55 minutes.
Kingham allowed just one runner past second base before Curt Casali knocked him out of the game with a two-run homer that just barely reached the left field seats in the seventh.
Kingham (5-4) earned his third win in his last three starts, limiting the Reds to four hits and two runs with three strikeouts and two walks in 6 1/3 innings. He also grounded a two-run single up the middle through a drawn-in infield in the sixth.
Ervin Santana finished the seventh, Kyle Crick pitched a perfect eighth against Reds All-Stars Scooter Gennett, Joey Votto and Eugenio Suarez and All-Star Felipe Vazquez escaped a one-out, two-on jam in the ninth.