log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Monday, April 16, 2018 @ 8:06 PM
Updated: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 @ 9:54 AM
— Andre Gordon had already decided he wouldn’t play football as a senior at Sidney High School. On Monday, he crossed out basketball with the Yellow Jackets, too.
The two-sport standout announced via Twitter on Monday he will transfer to nationally renowned Huntington Prep (W.Va.) for his senior year and play basketball only.
»RELATED: All-Area Boys Basketball teams
“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” he said on Monday night. “When I was in fifth grade I remember asking my parents if we could go to Flyin’ to the Hoop to watch Huntington Prep and Findlay Prep and IMG (Academy). Now, I’ll be on that stage.”
A starter since his freshman season, Gordon, a 6-foot-1 guard, was honorable mention All-Ohio in basketball this past season and first team All-Southwest District and All-Area.
He was third in Greater Western Ohio Conference scoring (23.8) and tallied a career-high 49 points at Greenville and 40 against Stebbins. He also averaged 5.6 rebounds and 5.5 assists.
GWOC American Conference North coaches voted Gordon the divisional player of the year. Sidney (18-7) tied for the GWOC American North title with Butler, both at 12-3.
Gordon is believed to be the first area basketball player to land at Huntington Prep, which has emerged as a top prep basketball program in the country and counts No. 1 NBA draft pick Andrew Wiggins (Timberwolves) among its alums.
Huntington also is a frequent Premier Health Flyin’ to the Hoop participant. Another national giant, Findlay Prep (Nev.), defeated Huntington 50-48 at Flyin’ last January.
Gordon has not verbally committed.
“My recruiting, after coaches hearing I’m going to Huntington, actually picked up,” he said. “I got calls and texts left and right.”
Gordon said he had intended to return to Sidney for his senior year, but that changed when Huntington contacted and invited him for a campus visit. He will attend St. Joseph Central Catholic High School at Huntington and play for Huntington Prep.
“I wasn’t really thinking about leaving,” he said. “Their coach texted me and wanted me to come for a visit. I felt like that was a special thing. Everything was great. I felt I could go there and improve my game and it would open up my recruitment.”
He huddled with Sidney basketball coach John Willoughby and football coach Adam Doenges on Monday.
“(Willoughby) was really understanding and supportive,” Gordon said. “My football coaches are fully supportive of it, too.”
Gordon isn’t the first high-profile area basketball player to transfer to a national prep power. Justin Bibbs left Chaminade Julienne after a breakout sophomore season and transferred to Montverde Academy (Fla.). He was the Hokies’ second-leading scorer (13.3) as a senior this past season and amassed 1,457 career points.
Ivan Harris also left Springfield South after his junior season to play as a senior at Oak Hill Academy (Va.). He played four seasons at Ohio State and was a senior in the 2006-07 season when the Buckeyes lost to Florida in the national championship.
Former Dunbar teammates Caleb McConnell and DeVon Baker transferred to Spire Institute at Geneva, Ohio, as seniors this past season. McConnell verbally committed to Rutgers this past weekend and Baker decommitted from Siena.
There have been many other area standouts who have transferred to other high school programs throughout the area.
Gordon also was a standout quarterback at Sidney. With Gordon at quarterback, Isaiah Bowser at running back and Devan Rogers anchoring the defensive line, Sidney (10-2) qualified for the postseason for just the second time and defeated Belmont in a Division II, Region 8 playoff opener.
A dual-threat QB, Gordon accounted for 2,228 total yards of offense and 31 touchdowns. He passed for 1,546 yards and 18 touchdowns, and ran for 682 yards and another 13 TDs. Illinois State, Kent State and Akron were among the schools to have offered him a football scholarship.
Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 2:57 PM
CINCINNATI — In his second-to-last start before the trade deadline, Matt Harvey delivered his worst performance since joining the Cincinnati Reds.
Harvey allowed eight earned runs in 3 2/3 innings Sunday against the Pittsburgh Pirates at Great American Ball Park as the Reds tried to avoid a three-game sweep. He left the game after facing three batters in the fourth.
Six runs scored against Harvey on four home runs, the most Harvey has allowed in a game in his career. The Reds trailed 8-0 after the fourth.
» PITCHING UPDATE: Reds will use six-man rotation
The trade deadline is July 31, and Harvey is expected to be a popular name in trade talks.
Despite this start, Harvey has pitched well for the Reds. In his last four starts, he was 4-0 with a 1.86 ERA. In his last five starts, he had allowed a total of six earned runs and no home runs. He had not allowed a home run since giving up three against the Cardinals on June 6.
Before the game, interim manager Jim Riggleman said Harvey was enjoying pitching in Cincinnati and not allowing trade talks to bother him.
“I think he likes it here,” Riggleman said. “His performance indicates he’s getting better and better. We hope he stays here. We’re fortunate to have him. It was a great acquisition for our front office to get him.”
» HAL McCOY: Reds honor 2018 Hall of Fame class
Riggleman hopes the Reds don’t trade Harvey and said he hasn’t seen any indication they will.
“As good as we’ve seen Matt, I think he’s just getting healthier and healthier,” Riggleman said. “You may even see a healthier guy next year.”
Harvey gave up a two-run home run to Gregory Polanco in the first, back-to-back home runs to Corey Dickerson and Starling Marte in the second and a solo home run to Sean Rodriguez in the fourth inning.
Harvey’s ERA jumped from 4.63 to 5.21. This was the first time he failed to last four innings in 13 starts with the Reds.
The WWE Smackdown trucks are lined up around US Bank Arena outside GABP. Inside the park, a smackdown of a different sort. Pirates lead Reds 6-0 in middle of second. pic.twitter.com/bVOysWpkXl— David Jablonski (@DavidPJablonski) July 22, 2018
Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 12:54 PM
DAYTON — The University of Dayton shared a video updating the progress of phase two of the three-year, $72 million UD Arena renovation on Friday.
The video shows the seats in the 300 and 400 levels have been removed. They will be replaced by padded seats with cupholders.
» EARLIER COVERAGE: Phase two of renovation may be busiest
UD Arena Director Scott DeBolt walked fans through the changes going on inside and outside the arena.
“The main concentration of phase two is expanding the north side and east side of the building,” DeBolt said.
DeBolt mentioned the expanded concourse area, improved restrooms and an elevator that will provide access to a new landing at the top of the east side 400 level. That area will contain restrooms, expanded handicap seating and concession options.
“The area will provide guests with a dynamic view of the playing floor and the river,” DeBolt said, “all while maintaining the intimacy of the arena.”
Two photos from today of UD Arena as phase two of renovation continues. pic.twitter.com/ikMF0LreZ8— David Jablonski (@DavidPJablonski) July 18, 2018
Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 1:39 PM
— Offensive line coach for the Minnesota Vikings Tony Sparano died Sunday morning at age 56.
The Vikings said in a statement Sunday that Sparano died unexpectedly.
Before coaching with the Vikings, Sparano was the head coach for the Miami Dolphins and Oakland Raiders. He started his NFL career in 1999 as an offensive quality control coach for the Cleveland Browns. Throughout his career, Sparano has coached with the Redskins, Jaguars, Cowboys, Jets and 49ers, according to NFL.com.
“Our hearts go out to Jeanette and the entire Sparano family as we all mourn the loss of Tony,” Vikings Owners Mark and Zygi Wilf said in a statement. “Tony was a passionate and driven individual who cared deeply about his family, and especially enjoyed spending time with his grandchildren. Tony's presence within the Vikings organization will be deeply missed. We are only thinking of Tony’s family during this incredibly difficult time. We ask that the entire NFL and Vikings family keep the Sparanos in their thoughts.”
Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 12:04 PM
CINCINNATI — The Cincinnati Reds will use a six-man starting pitching rotation at least until the trade deadline July 31, though interim manager Jim Riggleman hopes the Reds hang onto Matt Harvey, the player most likely to be dealt.
“I’ve got no indication that he’s going to be traded,” Riggleman said Sunday.
» HAL McCOY: Reds honor 2018 Hall of Fame class
Harvey (5-5, 4.63 ERA) makes his 13th start with the Reds on Sunday, facing the Pittsburgh Pirates in the finale of a three-game series at Great American Ball Park. He would make one more start with the Reds if he stays with the team until the trade deadline.
Entering Sunday, the only question with the rotation was who would start Wednesday against the St. Louis Cardinals after Homer Bailey (1-7, 6.68) returns to the rotation Tuesday. Riggleman confirmed that starter will be Sal Romano (5-8, 5.19).
“If we absolutely need (Romano) today in the bullpen,” Riggleman said, “he would pitch today, but we would really try to limit that and see if he would then be able to pitch Wednesday as a starter.”
The six-man rotation could test the bullpen if the Reds stick with it for long because it means the Reds will have one fewer reliever than normal.