log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Monday, October 02, 2017 @ 1:07 PM
— At least a few people who want you to think they are progressive baseball minds are writing Joey Votto should be the National League MVP.
They are wrong.
Cincinnati Reds fans and Votto himself have every right to celebrate if he does win (he won’t), but that doesn’t mean it would be fair – at least until they change the name of the award.
Arguing the best player on a last-place team is the MOST VALUABLE is just silly.
If Joey Votto isn't the NL MVP, some of the fellas need to study the new fancy ciphering: 1.029 OPS, 168 OPS+, 7.4 WAR, 36 HR, 100 RBI.— Richard Justice (@richardjustice) October 1, 2017
I am being openly mocked in the pressbox for saying Joey Votto should be the NL MVP.— Andy McCullough (@McCulloughTimes) September 30, 2017
Have no fear, fans: Sports writers are also dumb.
Can't believe how much #VottoMVP backing I've heard.— Brian Kenny (@MrBrianKenny) October 2, 2017
Have we gotten that smart so quickly?
If Votto were the difference between Cincinnati finishing in third place or last place, there would be an argument.
It’s not his fault the team is bad. The offense was pretty good, and he was a big part of that.
Vottois a great player. A generational player. Doing what he did last year and coming back with an even better season is amazing and to be appreciated not just now but for years to come.
He is valuable to the Reds’ brand as someone who generates headlines and fan goodwill. Those things are important. They just aren’t part of what goes into winning the award in question.
SPORTS TODAY: What we learned from a Battle of Ohio blowout
This is an award that usually goes to the best player on a good team, as it should be.
Votto’s not even clearly the best player on a non-playoff team, though.
Remember that thing about being the difference between last place and third place? Well, Giancarlo Stanton arguably was that for the Marlins, except they finished second in the NL East.
Published: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 10:36 AM
— NASCAR pit reporter Wendy Venturini suffered a skull fracture and concussion Saturday after she was hit by a car while jogging in Novato, California, according to a news release from Venturini Racing.
Venturini, 39, was in California to cover Sunday’s Toyota/Save Mart 350 NASCAR Cup race in Sonoma. She will remain in the hospital for several days, the news release said.
“She’s completely coherent and conversational, and I have talked to her on two occasions today," said Doug Rice, president and general manager of Performance Racing Network. "They told her she would have a really good headache for a couple of days.”
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 11:05 AM
— Cincinnati Reds top prospect Nick Senzel will miss the rest of the season after tearing a tendon in his right index finger Friday, the Reds announced Saturday.
Senzel, who will undergo surgery Tuesday, addressed the injury in a message posted to Twitter and Instagram.
» PROSPECT WATCH: How the top Reds minor leaguers are doing
“I would like to start by thanking my family, friends and teammates and fans for the support over the last 24 hours,” Senzel wrote. “It had been a challenging season from the start, but it has made me grow. The news this morning was very unfortunate, but I was prepared mentally on how to handle it whether good or bad. I had a goal this season, and it was to make it to the big leagues and help the Cincinnati Reds win ballgames. Although I did not fulfill this goal, it will not stop my drive to continue to fulfill my dream. The support that has been shown is what makes me blessed and thankful for everything in my life, inside and outside of baseball. It’s what makes me keep going, and make no mistake, I will be back stronger than ever. Love u all Reds nation.”
» RELATED: Reds win fifth straight
The No. 2 overall pick in the 2016 draft, Senzel was hitting .310 with six home runs and 25 RBIs with Triple-A Louisville.
Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 12:04 AM
DAYTON — A 28-year drought ended for the Dayton Flyers on Thursday as the Dallas Mavericks selected Kostas Antetokounmpo, a 6-foot-10 forward, with the 30th and last pick of the second round in the NBA Draft at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. He was the 60th player chosen overall.
» FIVE THINGS TO KNOW: Who is Kostas Antetokounmpo?
Antetokounmpo, 20, is the first Dayton player drafted since Negele Knight in 1990. The Phoenix Suns drafted Knight in the second round.
Dayton had 38 players drafted between 1952 and 1990. Twenty Flyers have played in the NBA, including four undrafted players (Chris Wright, Chris Johnson, Brian Roberts and Charles Cooke) since Knight was drafted.
Antetokounmpo seeks to become the third member of his family to play in the NBA. His brother Giannis Antetokounmpo, 23, was the 15th pick of the first round in 2013 and now is one of the top players in the league. He averaged 26.9 points per game last season for the Milwaukee Bucks.
Thanasis Antetokounmpo, 25, played in two games in 2016 for the New York Knicks. He was a second-round pick in 2014.
The 6-foot-10 Antetokounmpo committed to Dayton in June 2016 but sat out his freshman season as a NCAA partial qualifier.
Antetokounmpo debuted in the 2017-18 season and averaged 5.2 points and 2.9 rebounds in 15.1 minutes per game. He led the team with 31 blocks. He appeared in 29 of 32 games and started six games.
In late March, weeks after the end of a 14-17 season, Antetokounmpo left the program and the university.
“His mindset was he wants to test the waters to see what his prospects are for being in the NBA,” Dayton coach Anthony Grant said. “And he felt it was in his best interest to leave school to do it. I’m not trying to judge his decision in terms of basketball, but the timing of his leaving did surprise me with just six weeks of school left.”
The #NBADraft is Thursday. Dayton could see a player (Kostas Antetokounmpo) drafted for the first time in 28 years. Here's the @daytondailynews front page on June 28, 1990, when Negele Knight was drafted with the fourth pick of the second round. pic.twitter.com/6Cay5oePXh— David Jablonski (@DavidPJablonski) June 20, 2018
When Negele Knight was drafted in 1990, it ended a four-year #NBADraft drought for Dayton. Dave Colbert and Damon Goodwin were drafted in the fifth and seventh rounds in 1986. Here's the @daytondailynews story from June 18, 1986. pic.twitter.com/S8kL0zwMkc— David Jablonski (@DavidPJablonski) June 21, 2018
Here's the @DaytonDailyNews coverage from June 26, 1979, the last time the Dayton Flyers had a first-round pick. The Portland Trail Blazers drafted Alter grad Jim Paxson 12th overall. pic.twitter.com/zwZ3wej7cA— David Jablonski (@DavidPJablonski) June 21, 2018
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 5:11 AM
— Toronto Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna was suspended for 75 games without pay, retroactive to May 8, for violating baseball’s domestic violence policy, the New York Daily News reported.
Osuna, 23, an All-Star in 2017, was charged with one count of assault in Toronto and was put on administrative leave, the Daily News reported. The right-hander has not pitched since May 6.
Osuna has nine saves and a 2.93 ERA in 15 games.