log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, February 15, 2018 @ 4:55 PM
— An independent arbiter has ruled in favor of AJ McCarron in his grievance against the Cincinnati Bengals, according to a Tweet from NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport, meaning the quarterback will be an unrestricted free agent this season.
Source: #Bengals QB AJ McCarron won his grievance against the team. He’ll be a free agent.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 15, 2018
That means he is free to sign with any team, including the Bengals, which isn’t likely given Andy Dalton’s hold on the starting job and McCarron’s desire to play.
“As a competitor, you just see other guys playing and you want your chance to be able to showcase what you can truly do,” McCarron said on Jan. 2, the day after the season-finale at Baltimore.
“Like I’ve said before,” McCarron continued, “God’s plan doesn’t work out when we want it to. It’s on His time. I’ve always truly believed that, and my wife always does an excellent job of reminding me that, and it’s just something you’ve got to buy into and trust and realize.”
The Bengals could still hang on to McCarron by applying the transition or franchise tag to him, but that is not likely given the salary numbers that would accompany such a move ($19 million to transition tag a quarterback in 2017 and $21.3 million for franchise tag).
In addition to another team giving him a substantially larger salary than the $690,000 he earned in 2017, McCarron will receive back pay from the Bengals, according to Rapoport.
#Bengals QB AJ McCarron, to be an unrestricted free agent, is also due lost salary from 2014 with interest, I’m told. That’s when he was on the NFI list.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 15, 2018
McCarron started three games in four seasons with the Bengals, all of which came at the end of the 2015 season after Dalton broke his thumb.
McCarron was 2-1 as a starter, completing 54 of 83 passes for 554 yards with four touchdowns, no interceptions and a passer rating of 100.1.
The grievance stemmed from McCarron’s rookie season, when the Bengals incorrectly, as the arbiter ruled, stashed on the Non-Football Injury list, preventing him from accruing a season of service toward unrestricted free agency. Had McCarron lost the grievance, the Bengals could have matched another’s team offer to keep McCarron, or they could elect to receive compensation of either a first-, second- or fifth-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft depending on what type of offer they would have tendered him beginning March 14.
By winning the ruling, McCarron is free to begin negotiating with other teams at 4 p.m. March 12, and he can sign a contract beginning at 4 p.m. March 14.
If he signs with another team, the Bengals still are expected to receive a 2019 compensatory pick. Given the salary McCarron is expected to attract, that likely will be a third-round pick, although the league’s 32 compensatory picks for the 2019 draft will not be announced until next February.
Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 3:07 PM
— The Dayton Dragons wrapped up the first half of the Midwest League season with an 8-0 loss to West Michigan on Sunday.
Let’s take a closer look at what’s been an up-and-down season so far for the Cincinnati Reds’ Single-A affiliate.
Dayton finished the first half in sixth place in the Eastern division, 15.5 games behind leader Bowling Green.
This marks a major departure from last season when the Dragons streaked through the first half and had clinched a wildcard berth when it was over.
The Dragons opened the season on a three-game losing streak.
Then they won their next nine only to lose eight in a row.
After that came a six-game winning streak.
Things leveled off to a certain extent after that, but there were still losing streaks of seven and eight games along with a five-game winning streak.
The Dragons were a league-worst 9-23 on the road in the first half.
They posted a 22-14 mark in front of the fans at Fifth Third Field, however, and that might not come as much of a surprise for a roster that is pretty young.
Speaking of youth...
Many of the preseason headlines were devoted to Hunter Greene, the 18-year-old pitching phenom with the triple-digit fastball who was the No. 2 pick in last year’s MLB draft.
However, the best teenager on the team so far has been Jeter Downs.
The infielder leads the team in hits (68) and stolen bases (18) while sharing the team lead in doubles (15) with Montrell Marshall.
RedsMinorLeagues.com notes Downs, who turns 20 on July 27, has already put up some impressive power numbers compared to previous teenage Dragons.
Hunter Greene made 12 starts in the first half and finished with a 5.53 ERA. That is the best it has been since he gave up seven runs in less than an inning during his third start.
Green has allowed six runs and seven walks over 23.3 innings in his last five starts. He has struck out 27 while walking seven and allowing 20 hits.
RELATED: Greene loses pitchers’ duel
He has gradually worked up his pitch count, throwing 86 his last time out, and shown that while he is raw, Reds fans have a lot to be excited about.
One of Greene’s batterymates, Hendrick Clementina has been the team’s best hitter so far.
A catcher acquired in the Tony Cingrani trade, Clementina is has a team-best .971 OPS and also leads the club in batting (.316), homers (nine) and RBIs (35).
He is one of five teams to make the all-star team, joining outfielder Marshall, outfield Stuart Fairchild and pitchers Cory Thompson and John Ghyzel.
Was this a successful first half for the Dragons?
In record, obviously not.
The Dragons had the worst on-base percentage in the Midwest League and finished 12th in runs scored. They also had the worst team ERA in the league.
Development is the name of the game at this level, though, and a handful of the guys in Green look like keepers.
That includes Greene, who appears to be on the right track after a rocky run in late April and early May.
Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 9:19 AM
CINCINNATI — Joey Votto played in his 1,500th career game for the Cincinnati Reds on Sunday. He went 2-for-4 with two RBIs in an 8-6 victory at PNC Park against the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Before the game, the Reds shared the numbers on how Votto compares to Hall of Fame first basemen from the last 50 years, including Jim Thome, who will be inducted this summer.
» DRAGONS: Dayton ends first half with loss
Here’s how Votto, at age 34, in his 12th season, stacks up against 12 of the greats through the first 1,500 games of their careers. In short, he compares well — especially in on-base percentage and walks, as you might expect.
Batting average: Rod Carew (.335); Frank Thomas (.321); Johnny Mize (.320); Joey Votto (.313); Jeff Bagwell (.305); Orlando Cepeda (.305); Eddie Murray (.299); George Kelly (.297); Jim Thome (.285); Tony Perez (.284); Ernie Banks (.283); Willie McCovey (.282); Harmon Killebrew (.262);
On-base percentage: Thomas (.441); Votto (.428); Bagwell (.418); Thome (.411); Mize (.406); Carew (.392); McCovey (.385); Killebrew (.375); Murray (.375); Cepeda (.355); Perez (.347); Banks (.344); Kelly (.343);
Slugging percentage: Mize (.580); Thomas (.580); Thome (.566); McCovey (.555); Bagwell (.553); Banks (.536); Votto (.536); Killebrew (.532); Cepeda (.517); Murray (.505); Perez (.484); Kelly (.455); Carew (.450);
Home runs: Killebrew (392); Thome (368); Ernie Banks (353); McCovey (347); Thomas (339); Bagwell (316); Mize (315); Cepeda (279); Murray (275); Votto (263); Perez (246); Kelly (137); Rod Carew (71).
Hits: Rod Carew (1,924); Mize (1,776); Thomas (1,721); Cepeda (1,714); Murray (1,680); Votto (1,662); Bagwell (1,657); Kelly (1,650); Banks (1,618); Perez (1,550); Thome (1,451); McCovey (1,375); Killebrew (1,354);
Walks: Thomas (1,172); Bagwell (1,012); Votto (1,046); Killebrew (919); McCovey (788); Mize (757); Murray (709); Carew (542); Perez (532); Banks (521); Cepeda (388); Kelly (358); Thome (108).
Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 1:47 PM
CINCINNATI — Scooter Gennett, of the Cincinnati Reds, remains ranked third among second basemen in voting for the National League All-Star team.
Gennett has received 743,979 votes, the league announced Monday in its second release of the voting results. He trails the Braves’ Ozzie Albies (915,736) and the Cubs’ Javier Baez (767,417). All three have a wide lead over the fourth-ranked second baseman: the Giants’ Joe Panik (194,634).
Joey Votto also remains fifth in voting among first basemen (189,364), well behind the league’s overall leader in votes, the Braves’ Freddie Freeman (1,433,140).
Eugenio Suarez, who ranked fourth last week, remains fourth this week among third basemen with 228,806 votes. He leads NL third basemen in RBIs (52) and ranks second in the league among all players. The Rockies’ Nolan Arenado (1,124,563) has a wide lead among third basemen.
Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 11:40 AM
— Minutes after the Cincinnati Bengals drafted Billy Price in the first round with the 21st overall pick, the former Ohio center said he expected to be fully cleared by the start of training camp.
Today, Price announced on Twitter he got the news he had been waiting for, writing “Fully cleared for football again” with the emjoi of two hands raised in the air.
Fully cleared for football again 🙌🏼— Billy Price (@b_price53) June 18, 2018
JOIN THE CONVERSATION: Like our Cincinnati Bengals News Now Facebook page
Price injured his pectoral while bench pressing at the Combine.
He was on the field for rookie camp, OTAs and minicamp, although his participation was limited to position drills and install. Price said last week at the start of minicamp he had been fully cleared for weight room activity. He said he benched 305 pounds — 80 more than the weight that was on the bar when he suffered the injury — and looking forward to today’s appointment because he expected to receive full clearance.
Price will go into training camp, which begins July 26, as the projected starter at center after Russell Bodine, who started all 64 games the last four seasons, signed as a free agent with Buffalo in March.