log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, September 07, 2017 @ 11:45 AM
— After winning the starting job in the preseason, Browns quarterback DeShone Kizer is just ready to get on with the real thing.
“Excited,” he said. "It has been a long four months. I haven’t played competitive football with a game on the line and a record on the line in a long time. I’m looking forward to going out there and executing this game plan that we have been putting together the last couple of weeks.
"My preparation has to go to another level and my mentality has to go to another level, but hopefully, I can just match that and do what I have been doing all preseason and try to find some success.”
Kizer showed plenty of promise in limited preseason action. Enough to take the starting job from Brock Osweiler after the Browns had essentially handed it to him before taking the field.
Browns coach Hue Jackson has done an admirable job readying Kizer, he said.
"He is challenging me to take that to another level to make sure that this truly becomes who I am week to week rather than having one week of great preparation and then slacking off another," he said. "He has been challenging me to continue to stay in the playbook, stay in the game plan and continue to watch as much film as I possibly can.”
Kizer recalls his first starts in high school and college: Both ended on plays he couldn’t make. This time, he’s hoping it’s different.
"I have had a lot of experience of being thrown into the fire and going out there and being asked to execute and represent all the older guys on the team and so forth and so on," he said. "Now, this is an opportunity here where I know I am going to have to step up and put ourselves in a position to win in the fourth quarter.”
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 11:05 AM
— Cincinnati Reds top prospect Nick Senzel will miss the rest of the season after tearing a tendon in his right index finger Friday, the Reds announced Saturday.
Senzel, who will undergo surgery Tuesday, addressed the injury in a message posted to Twitter and Instagram.
» PROSPECT WATCH: How the top Reds minor leaguers are doing
“I would like to start by thanking my family, friends and teammates and fans for the support over the last 24 hours,” Senzel wrote. “It had been a challenging season from the start, but it has made me grow. The news this morning was very unfortunate, but I was prepared mentally on how to handle it whether good or bad. I had a goal this season, and it was to make it to the big leagues and help the Cincinnati Reds win ballgames. Although I did not fulfill this goal, it will not stop my drive to continue to fulfill my dream. The support that has been shown is what makes me blessed and thankful for everything in my life, inside and outside of baseball. It’s what makes me keep going, and make no mistake, I will be back stronger than ever. Love u all Reds nation.”
» RELATED: Reds win fifth straight
The No. 2 overall pick in the 2016 draft, Senzel was hitting .310 with six home runs and 25 RBIs with Triple-A Louisville.
Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 12:04 AM
DAYTON — A 28-year drought ended for the Dayton Flyers on Thursday as the Dallas Mavericks selected Kostas Antetokounmpo, a 6-foot-10 forward, with the 30th and last pick of the second round in the NBA Draft at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. He was the 60th player chosen overall.
» FIVE THINGS TO KNOW: Who is Kostas Antetokounmpo?
Antetokounmpo, 20, is the first Dayton player drafted since Negele Knight in 1990. The Phoenix Suns drafted Knight in the second round.
Dayton had 38 players drafted between 1952 and 1990. Twenty Flyers have played in the NBA, including four undrafted players (Chris Wright, Chris Johnson, Brian Roberts and Charles Cooke) since Knight was drafted.
Antetokounmpo seeks to become the third member of his family to play in the NBA. His brother Giannis Antetokounmpo, 23, was the 15th pick of the first round in 2013 and now is one of the top players in the league. He averaged 26.9 points per game last season for the Milwaukee Bucks.
Thanasis Antetokounmpo, 25, played in two games in 2016 for the New York Knicks. He was a second-round pick in 2014.
The 6-foot-10 Antetokounmpo committed to Dayton in June 2016 but sat out his freshman season as a NCAA partial qualifier.
Antetokounmpo debuted in the 2017-18 season and averaged 5.2 points and 2.9 rebounds in 15.1 minutes per game. He led the team with 31 blocks. He appeared in 29 of 32 games and started six games.
In late March, weeks after the end of a 14-17 season, Antetokounmpo left the program and the university.
“His mindset was he wants to test the waters to see what his prospects are for being in the NBA,” Dayton coach Anthony Grant said. “And he felt it was in his best interest to leave school to do it. I’m not trying to judge his decision in terms of basketball, but the timing of his leaving did surprise me with just six weeks of school left.”
The #NBADraft is Thursday. Dayton could see a player (Kostas Antetokounmpo) drafted for the first time in 28 years. Here's the @daytondailynews front page on June 28, 1990, when Negele Knight was drafted with the fourth pick of the second round. pic.twitter.com/6Cay5oePXh— David Jablonski (@DavidPJablonski) June 20, 2018
When Negele Knight was drafted in 1990, it ended a four-year #NBADraft drought for Dayton. Dave Colbert and Damon Goodwin were drafted in the fifth and seventh rounds in 1986. Here's the @daytondailynews story from June 18, 1986. pic.twitter.com/S8kL0zwMkc— David Jablonski (@DavidPJablonski) June 21, 2018
Here's the @DaytonDailyNews coverage from June 26, 1979, the last time the Dayton Flyers had a first-round pick. The Portland Trail Blazers drafted Alter grad Jim Paxson 12th overall. pic.twitter.com/zwZ3wej7cA— David Jablonski (@DavidPJablonski) June 21, 2018
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 5:11 AM
— Toronto Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna was suspended for 75 games without pay, retroactive to May 8, for violating baseball’s domestic violence policy, the New York Daily News reported.
Osuna, 23, an All-Star in 2017, was charged with one count of assault in Toronto and was put on administrative leave, the Daily News reported. The right-hander has not pitched since May 6.
Osuna has nine saves and a 2.93 ERA in 15 games.
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 2:41 AM
— Soccer’s international governing body, FIFA, voted last week to play the 2026 World Cup in the United States, Mexico and Canada.
And while the announcement raised much excitement in North American soccer circles, it left questions that won’t be fully answered for years. Here are some of them.
WHICH CITIES WILL HOST MATCHES?
Sixteen North American cities -- at least 10 in the United States -- will be chosen by FIFA in 2020 or 2021 to host matches. Those 16 choices will come from 23 “candidate cities.” FIFA will have negotiating leverage in whittling the number.
The U.S. host cities will be chosen from among these candidates: Atlanta (Mercedes-Benz Stadium), Baltimore (M&T Bank Stadium), Boston (Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts), Cincinnati (Paul Brown Stadium), Dallas (AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas), Denver (Broncos Stadium at Mile High), Houston (NRG Stadium), Kansas City (Arrowhead Stadium), Los Angeles (Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena, California, or the new NFL stadium under construction), Miami (Hard Rock Stadium), Nashville (Nissan Stadium), New York (MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey), Orlando, Florida (Camping World Stadium), Philadelphia (Lincoln Financial Field), San Francisco (Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California), Seattle (CenturyLink Field) and Washington (FedEx Field in Landover, Maryland.)
In addition, current plans call for matches to be played in up to three cities in Canada (Edmonton, Montreal and Toronto) and up to three in Mexico (Guadalajara, Mexico City and Monterrey).
"We are blessed with 23 really world-class stadiums -- some iconic, some brand-new cutting-edge and everything in between," U.S. Soccer president Carlos Cordeiro said. "I think it will be a very difficult decision to make … when we have to determine the final 16 cities. But it’s a high-class problem.”
Under current plans, 60 matches will be played in the U.S., 10 in Canada and 10 in Mexico.
WHAT IS THE COST OF HOSTING?
It helps that no new stadiums will have to be built in North America for the event, but the costs of security, transportation and other requirements will be considerable in any host city.
“We’ve been told during the bid process it is on the level of (hosting) a Super Bowl,” said Dan Corso, president of the Atlanta Sports Council and chairman of Atlanta’s World Cup committee. “We have not gotten into too much detail on that yet, but we will during this next phase of the process.”