log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, June 14, 2019 @ 5:59 PM
— The Jay Minton era is over at Wayne High School football.
The longtime coach confirmed the move with Cox Media Group Ohio, adding he told his staff late Thursday night and talked to his players Friday morning.
The move came five weeks after the Huber Heights City Schools board accepted his resignation as director of athletics.
>>READ MORE: Minton unsure of next move
At that time, Minton confirmed a newly created position of physical education teacher at Weisenborn Junior High would only be offered to him if he resigned as athletic director. Instead, he proposed a plan to revamp the athletic department and remain as AD, but that was rejected the next day by superintendent Susan Gunnell.
Additionally, he said in May he received an unfavorable evaluation in April that cited among other things his lack of fulfilling requirements to obtain a principal licensure, something that had not been addressed in previous evaluations.
According to Minton’s personnel file, he was put on a performance improvement plan following the 2017-18 school year. His April eval included two of 32 subjects that received the lowest numerical grade of 5 (poor). Gunnell signed off on that eval recommending “non-renewal of AD position.”
>>LAST GAME: Warriors falls at Hilliard-Davidson in DI playoffs
Minton had been Wayne’s head football coach since 1998 and its athletic director since 2006.
The area’s most successful Division I football program during the playoff era, the Warriors have been state runner-up four times.
The boys’ basketball team has also been a power, winning the Division I state championship in 2015.
»» RELATED: Top 7 players in Wayne football history
Numerous Wayne football players received Division I scholarships during Minton’s tenure, including six who went to Ohio State.