Flyers overcome 21-point deficit but lose at buzzer at Mississippi State

Published: Sunday, December 03, 2017 @ 8:51 PM

Dayton’s Anthony Grant talks to his players before the final shot against Ball State on Friday, Nov. 10, 2017, at UD Arena. David Jablonski/Staff
Staff Writer
Dayton’s Anthony Grant talks to his players before the final shot against Ball State on Friday, Nov. 10, 2017, at UD Arena. David Jablonski/Staff(Staff Writer)

The Dayton Flyers rallied from a 21-point second-half deficit only to lose 61-59 to Mississippi State on a last-second shot Sunday night in Starkville, Miss.

Dayton had a chance to take the last shot, but Darrell Davis turned the ball over with 8 seconds to play. Quinndary Weatherspoon took the ball the other way and scored on a layup with 0.8 seconds to play.

The Flyers trailed 35-20 at halftime and faced their biggest deficit, 41-20, in the opening minutes of the second half. If Dayton had won the game, it would have been the third-largest halftime deficit the program has overcome in its history.

“I thought our guys showed some resiliency, some toughness,” Dayton coach Anthony Grant said on WHIO Radio after the game. “We dug a hole for ourselves with 16 first-half turnovers. We struggled to find the basket, not only taking care of (the ball), but I thought we got some looks we’re capable of making that didn’t fall for us. That’s going to happen. It’s the game of basketball.”

» RELATED: Dayton changes starting lineup

The Flyers fall to 3-4. It’s their worst start since they were 3-4 in the 1994-95 season.

It was fitting the game turned on a turnover because Dayton committed 26 turnovers. The Bulldogs (7-0) committed 24. Three Flyers had five turnovers: Kostas Antetokounmpo, Davis and Jalen Crutcher.

Davis tied the game at 59-59 by making 1 of 2 free throws with 1:09 to play. Mississippi State turned the ball over with 49.3 seconds to play. Crutcher missed a 3-pointer with 28 seconds to play, but the Flyers got the offensive rebound. The turnover by Davis followed.

Crutcher led the Flyers with 18 points. Davis scored 17 and had 10 rebounds. It’s his first career double-double. Josh Cunningham scored 16.

Dayton got back into the game with a 10-run starting at the 15-minute mark.

“We talked about the need at the half of making it a segment game, to be able to cut into that 15-point lead,” Grant said. “At the 16-minute mark, it was still a 15-point game. We talked about the need to win the next segment. We won the next segment. I think we had it down to an eight-point game at the 12, and we just continued to battle.”

FIRST-HALF RECAP

The Flyers played an ugly half of basketball , committing 16 turnovers to fall behind 35-20 at halftime.

The Flyers committed a season-high 19 turnovers in their last game Wednesday against Auburn. They were well on their way to passing that mark at the half. Crutcher, making his first career start, had four of the turnovers.

Foul trouble also hurt the Flyers. Kostas Antetokounmpo and Cunningham each picked up three in the first half.

Dayton trailed 14-13 with 11 minutes to play. The Bulldogs ended the half on a 21-7 run. They enjoy a double-digit lead despite making 4 of 14 3-pointers and committing 10 turnovers themselves.

Matej Svoboda leads the Flyers with six points. He made 2 of 3 3-pointers.

Freshman Jordan Pierce made his Dayton debut late in the half. He didn’t play in the first six games. Coach Anthony Grant said last week the coaches hadn’t discussed redshirting him because of their limited roster.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Bengals open, close 2018 season on the road

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 7:59 PM


            INDIANAPOLIS, IN - AUGUST 31: Jarveon Williams #39 of the Cincinnati Bengals runs the ball against the Indianapolis Colts in the first half of a preseason game at Lucas Oil Stadium on August 31, 2017 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)
INDIANAPOLIS, IN - AUGUST 31: Jarveon Williams #39 of the Cincinnati Bengals runs the ball against the Indianapolis Colts in the first half of a preseason game at Lucas Oil Stadium on August 31, 2017 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)

The Cincinnati Bengals will open the 2018 season at Indianapolis and end it at Pittsburgh.

The schedule, which the NFL announced tonight, has the Bengals playing three of their first four and three of their final four on the road. That means the team will play six of eight at home from Week 5 through Week 13.

The Bengals only have one primetime game, which comes in Week 2 on Thursday night against the Baltimore Ravens at Paul Brown Stadium.

JOIN THE CONVERSATION: Like our Cincinnati Bengals News Now Facebook page

The league also finalized the dates and times for the preseason games.

The Bengals will play host to the Chicago Bears at 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 9 before playing back-to-back road games at Dallas at 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 18, and at Buffalo at 4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 26. They close the preseason at home against Indianapolis on at 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 30.

Fourteen of the 16 regular-season games begin at 1 p.m. The two exceptions are the Thursday game against Baltimore in Week 2 (8:20 p.m.) and the Week 14 road game at the Los Angeles Chargers (4:05 p.m.).

Here is the complete 2018 regular-season schedule:

Sept. 9: at Indianapolis

Sept. 13: BALTIMORE (Thursday night)

›› See who Jay Morrison has the Bengals taking in his latest mock draft

Sept. 23: at Carolina

Sept. 30: at Atlanta

Oct. 7: MIAMI

Oct. 14: PITTSBURGH

›› Dalton says Bengals in for ‘complete change’ in 2018

Oct. 21: at Kansas City

Oct. 28: TAMPA BAY

Nov. 4: Bye week

Nov. 11: NEW ORLEANS

›› Alter grad Zaire throws alongside OSU’s Barrett at Bengals local workout

Nov. 18: at Baltimore

Nov. 25: CLEVELAND

Dec. 2: DENVER

Dec. 9: at Los Angeles Chargers

Follow Jay Morrison on Twitter

Dec. 16: OAKLAND

Dec. 23: at Cleveland

Dec. 30: at Pittsburgh

Trending - Most Read Stories

Cincinnati Reds fire Bryan Price: Is Barry Larkin on deck?

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 2:22 PM

NewsCenter 7 Sports Director Mike Hartsock talks to Barry Larkin about managing during Spring Training

After the Cincinnati Reds fired manager Bryan Price, the next question was obvious. 

Who will replace him?

Jim Riggleman was named interim manager, but the team announced it will conduct a national search. 

RELATED: GM says team couldn’t afford to wait5 things to know about Riggleman

Barry Larkin already works for the team, but he’s been talked about as a potential manager since he was still playing shortstop for his hometown team, a career that lasted from 1986-2004. 

He made waves during spring training when he said some young guys in the organization told him they want him to be their manager when they reach the big leagues, a statement that rankled at least some in the organization according to national baseball writer Ken Rosenthal. 

He has mentioned that before in his reporting, and it doesn’t come as a surprise. 

However much one might be excited to think of Larkin in the Reds dugout again, his statement was disrespectful to Price. 

RELATED: Larkin muses about managing Reds some day

It was great for debate and discussion (including here) but also bad form. 

Would any hurt feelings from that episode prevent Larkin from becoming the manager of the Reds if the organization deems him the best candidate? 

That hardly seems likely. 

» HISTORY LESSON: Rare for Reds to fire a coach this early in season

Of larger concern would be his relative lack of experience. 

Larkin has not managed in MLB or the minors, though he has been the skipper of the Brazilian national team. 

He’s also been an employee of the Reds since 2015 after working as a baseball analyst for ESPN. 

Beyond that, hiring former players with little or no managerial experience is becoming a trend. The Cardinals made a similar move with Mike Matheny, as did the Brewers with Craig Counsell and the Phillies with Gabe Kapler more recently. 

Former Red Aaron Boone, who played with Larkin from 1997-2003, left ESPN to become the Yankees manager prior to this season. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

5 things to know about Cincinnati Reds interim manager Jim Riggleman

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 10:19 AM

Reds bench coach Jim Riggleman watches from the dugout during a game against the Marlins on Thursday, Aug. 18, 2016, at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati. David Jablonski/Staff
HANDOUT/David Jablonski/Staff
Reds bench coach Jim Riggleman watches from the dugout during a game against the Marlins on Thursday, Aug. 18, 2016, at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati. David Jablonski/Staff(HANDOUT/David Jablonski/Staff)

Jim Riggleman is the interim manager of the Cincinnati Reds, replacing Bryan Price after the latter was fired Thursday

Here are five things to know about the new man in charge: 

1. The 65-year-old has been involved in professional baseball since 1974. 

The Los Angeles Dodgers drafted Riggleman out of Frostburg State in the fourth round in 1974. 

He spent eight seasons playing in the minor leagues, mostly in Double-A. 

2. Riggleman has previously managed four MLB teams. 

The New Jersey native managed the Padres from late 1992-94 then spent five seasons with the Chicago Cubs, part of one with the Seattle Mariners and two-plus seasons with the Washington Nationals. 

3. His best team won 90 games. 

The 1998 Chicago Cubs went 90-73 under Riggleman and won the National League Wild card. 

That team’s second-place finish is the highest for any of Riggleman’s teams. His career record as a manager is 662-824, a .445 winning percentage. 

4. Riggleman famously walked out of the Nationals in 2011. 

Washington finished in third place in 2011, but Riggleman wasn’t around to see it. 

He resigned in June over a dispute about his job security. 

“I know what the right thing to do is,” Riggleman said at the time according to the Washington Post. “You don’t keep a manager on a one-year deal in major league baseball. I’m not happy about it. I just feel in my heart it’s the right thing to do.”

5. 2018 is Riggelman’s seventh season working for the Reds. 

He joined the Reds player development department in 2012 as manager of Double-A Pensacola before spending two years managing the Triple-A Louisville Bats. 

He joined the major-league club as third base coach in 2015 and was in his third season as bench coach before being promoted Thursday. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Women’s basketball: Megan Duffy gets contract extension from Miami

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 3:25 PM

Miami women's basketball coach Megan Duffy kneels on the sideline during their 69-56 loss to Duquesne in their first round Women's NIT tournament basketball game Thursday, March 15 at Millett Hall on Miami University campus in Oxford. NICK GRAHAM/STAFF
Nick Graham
Miami women's basketball coach Megan Duffy kneels on the sideline during their 69-56 loss to Duquesne in their first round Women's NIT tournament basketball game Thursday, March 15 at Millett Hall on Miami University campus in Oxford. NICK GRAHAM/STAFF(Nick Graham)

Miami University announced Thursday it has added a year to the contract of women’s basketball coach Megan Duffy. 

A Chaminade Julienne grad, Duffy signed a five-year contract worth $212,136 annually when she was hired last year

»»RELATED: 5 things to know about Megan Duffy

Her first season in Oxford was a smashing success as the RedHawks went 21-11 and finished fourth in the Mid-American Conference. 

They won 12 MAC games, the most since 2008, and finished the regular season having won 10 of 11 contests. 

“I cannot thank (Miami president Gregory P.) Crawford and (director of athletics) David Sayler enough for their commitment to women's basketball and our staff here at Miami,” said Duffy in a new release. “It has been an honor to come in and help make impactful changes to our program, student-athletes and community. I am grateful for the opportunity to lead Miami basketball for years to come.” 

Duffy replaced Cleve Wright, who went 35-87 in four seasons. 

Her four-person first recruiting class includes Lebanon guard Alexis Straw. 

Trending - Most Read Stories