log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Saturday, December 08, 2018 @ 9:57 AM
DAYTON — Throughout the 2018-19 Dayton Flyers season, I’ll keep track of the top offensive plays I’ve shot in this video, which you can see at the top of the story.
Here’s a quick glance at the first 15 to make the highlight reel:
1. Nov. 23 vs. Oklahoma: Jalen Crutcher throws an alley-oop pass to Trey Landers, who soared high above the rim to dunk the ball with one hand. The play came during a 13-0 run to start the second half and helped Dayton take a 41-34 lead. Oklahoma still won the game 65-54.
» FOLLOW THE FLYERS: All the links you need for the season in one place
2. Nov. 16 vs. Purdue Fort Wayne: Jhery Matos chases down a loose ball and throws a behind-the-back pass to Trey Landers, who scores on a layup. It was one of three memorable assists in the second half by Matos, who played six games before suffering a season-ending injury.
3. Nov. 30 vs. Mississippi State: Crutcher dribbles behind his back to shake a defender, drives into the paint, draws two defenders and then dishes to Josh Cunningham for a dunk.
4. Nov. 10 vs. Coppin State: Crutcher throws an alley-oop pass from near half court to Obi Toppin for a dunk.
5. Nov. 7 vs. North Florida: Crutcher throws another alley-oop to Toppin. This time, he slams it with one hand.
6. Nov. 21 vs. Butler: Crutcher shows off fancy dribbling to penetrate the defense and then scores on a bank shot in the paint.
7. Nov. 23 vs. Oklahoma: Crutcher finds way through the defense. Then he stops in the paint, hesitates to get the defender off his feet and scores on a short bank shot.
8. Nov. 23 vs. Oklahoma: Josh Cunningham, who has a knack for converting old-fashioned 3-point plays, absorbs contact, falls backward and makes a tough shot.
9. Nov. 22 vs. Virginia: Toppin displays quick feet and dribbling skills as he blows by a Virginia defender to score on a dunk. He took over for a stretch in the second half against one of the nation’s top defenses and finished with 13 points on 6-of-7 shooting.
» ARCHDEACON: Memorable names from the Miami Valley
10. Nov. 23 vs. Oklahoma: Crutcher beats his defender and scores on a reverse layup. It was the only basket in a nearly 10-minute scoring drought in a 65-54 loss to the Sooners in the third-place game at the Battle 4 Atlantis.
11. Nov. 16 vs. Purdue Fort Wayne: A pass goes to Matos, who doesn’t catch the pass so much as deflect it to Landers with a touch for a dunk.
12. Nov. 16 vs. Purdue Fort Wayne: Toppin chases down a length-of-the-court pass to score on a dunk.
13. Nov. 16 vs. Purdue Fort Wayne: Matos penetrates the defense and finds Toppin for a dunk.
14. Dec. 4 vs. Detroit Mercy: Cunningham throws up an off-balance shot as he’s hit by a defender and scores as he falls to the floor.