log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, March 17, 2016 @ 8:12 PM
Updated: Friday, March 18, 2016 @ 4:17 PM
WASHINGTON, Okla. — An Oklahoma college student brought her grandfather some Twitter fame after she tweeted a picture of him appearing to be sadly eating a burger.
According to Kelsey Harmon, she and her five other cousins were invited to dinner by their grandfather Wednesday, but only she showed up.
The Northeastern State University student said her grandfather, whom she calls Papaw, made 12 burgers for his six grandkids.
The tweet gained over 70,000 retweets in less than 24 hours.
The story Harmon tweeted gained so much traction it made it to Twitter's "moments" page, which tracks trending tweets and compiles them into a feed.
The feed pulls the best tweets from the initial moment.
According to BuzzFeed, some people on Twitter found Brock Harmon, one of Kelsey Harmon's cousins, and one of Pawpaw's grandchildren.
It looks like Twitter went so far as to find a 2014 tweet in which Brock said he was hungry.
According to Kelsey Harmon, the spread of her tweet led to death threats for her cousins.
By Friday, Kelsey Harmon tweeted a thank you to supportive tweeters and let them know she and Papaw were appreciative.
"I have had many laughs at the memes and funny posts of my Papaw. I've also had many, many messages telling my my post encouraged people everywhere to visit their grandparents, and that means so much to me."
Kelsey Harmon said she was asked about where to send donations, gifts and other free items, but that she cannot accept them as a college athlete.
"I'm not comfortable with giving Papaw's address out, so instead of sending him gifts...please just send prayers that he is happy," she wrote.
Kelsey Harmon also responded to those who said she tweeted the picture of her grandfather for attention and fame.
"My intentions were never to become 'famous.' I've done nothing worthy of fame. I truly only posted the picture of Papaw to show my appreciation. For those saying I'm craving attention, you are far from right."
She ended the post by letting readers know her grandfather is very loved.
Published: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 @ 5:19 PM
Rosen said expanding the character limit from 140 characters to 280 will give users more space to fit in their thoughts.
Historically, Rosen said, nine percent of tweets typed in English hit the character limit, which results in a lot of time spent editing a single tweet or eventually abandoning tweets before sharing them.
Excited to share that after weeks of extensive data analysis and feedback, we’re expanding our character limit to 280! Read more about what we learned and how we came to this decision here: https://t.co/BcJnnpedjf— Aliza Rosen (@alizar) November 7, 2017
In September, Twitter launched a test for select users to have access to the expanded 280-character limit. As a result of the experiment, researchers found only one percent of tweets in English hit the character limit.
“People in the experiment told us that a higher character limit made them feel more satisfied with how they expressed themselves on Twitter, their ability to find good content, and Twitter overall,” Rosen wrote.
However, tweets in Japanese, Korean and Chinese will continue to have the 140-character limit, because cramming characters is not an issue for the languages due to the density of their writing systems, she said.
For users concerned about their timelines being flooded with 280-character tweets, Rosen said the experiement showed that didn’t happen.
“Only 5% of Tweets sent were longer than 140 characters and only 2% were over 190 characters,” Rosen wrote. “As a result, your timeline reading experience should not substantially change, you’ll still see about the same amount of Tweets in your timeline.”
Rosen encouraged users to give Twitter feedback on the change.
“We’re always listening to your feedback, so try it out and let us know what you think,” she tweeted.
We believe that this change will make it easier for everyone to Tweet, while maintaining the brevity that makes Twitter, Twitter. We’re always listening to your feedback, so try it out and let us know what you think! Happy Tweeting :)— Aliza Rosen (@alizar) November 7, 2017
Published: Thursday, August 04, 2016 @ 8:13 PM
Updated: Thursday, August 04, 2016 @ 8:13 PM
Facebook is still working on weeding out clickbait from your news feed. On Thursday the company announced it'll be implementing a new algorithm to combat deceiving headlines.
Facebook describes clickbait headlines as "headlines that intentionally leave out crucial information, or mislead people, forcing people to click to find out the answer."
Published: Friday, September 09, 2016 @ 3:00 PM
Updated: Friday, September 09, 2016 @ 3:00 PM
Espen Egil Hansen is the editor-in-chief of Aftenposten, Norway's largest newspaper. And he's just one of many people upset with Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerburg after the social media site censored an iconic Vietnam War photo. It showed a young girl named Kim Phuc running naked down a road after her village was hit by napalm.
"Mark, I believe you impair our ability to do our job," Hansen said in a video on Aftenposten's website.
It all started a few weeks ago when Norwegian author Tom Egeland got on Facebook and shared the photo along with several others that he said changed the history of warfare.
Facebook's moderators removed the photo from his page.
And when he tried to repost it along with an interview with Phuc criticizing Facebook's attempt to censor the image, he says his account was suspended for 24 hours.
When Hansen heard about the ordeal, he decided to post the photo and an accompanying article on Aftenposten's Facebook page.
He says he got this email from Facebook demanding the post be removed, and that Facebook took it down before he could respond.
On Friday, Hansen penned an open letter to Mark Zuckerberg echoing what many critics are saying about Facebook's decision.
The letter reads, in part: "Facebook has become a world-leading platform for spreading information, for debate and for social contact between persons. You have gained this position because you deserve it. But, dear Mark, you are the world's most powerful editor."
Facebook said in a statement Friday it has reviewed its community standards in this case and "decided to reinstate the image on Facebook where we are aware it has been removed."
Published: Monday, November 09, 2015 @ 11:27 AM
Updated: Monday, November 09, 2015 @ 11:27 AM
Writer and actor Peter “Stoney” Emshwiller was 18 years old when he sat down to interview his 56-year-old self.
In a complete interview that Emshwiller plans to release as a movie called "Later That Same Life," a present-day Emshwiller answers questions that he recorded himself asking years ago in 1977.
"I knew I was going to be super famous, so I interviewed my older self, recording tons of video, asking, answering and responding," Emshwiller said. "I'm super excited that I'm going to finish a project I started 38 years ago," he added.
The bearded teenager asks the balding professional if he's married, if he's rich and what has happened with his family over the past few decades.
The interview between the two is touching and almost seamless. Some have even called the recording "a time-travel talk show."
Emshwiller's project is being funded online.
Watch the clip below, and read more here.