log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, February 09, 2018 @ 9:39 AM
In a nod to the Air Force’s proud history, the Air Force Life Cycle Management Center’s Air Force Uniform Office in partnership with the Air Force Honor Guard have designed a historic era dress blue uniform for honor guards across the service.
The new design was fashioned after uniforms from the 1940s, and initial prototypes were debuted at the 2017 Air Force TATTOO and featured in last year’s Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade.
Capt. Taylor Harrison, program manager for the Uniform Office, said that not only did the uniform mark the Air Force’s 70’s anniversary last year, but it recognizes the contributions of the Honor Guard.
“They [Honor Guard] have a very hard job,” Harrison said. “It’s such an important job for the Air Force. So being able to give them a special uniform that sets them apart and takes us back to the heart of where the Air Force started is cool.”
This summer, the Uniform Office will conduct fit tests at bases across the Air Force to improve the new uniform. Once the tests are complete, a decision will be made by senior Air Force leaders on whether to make the uniform available to all Honor Guard members.
Tracy Roan, a designer with the Uniform Office said that the feedback they’ve received about the uniforms has been positive.
Roan also talked about the challenge of designing a uniform that fit the needs of all Honor Guard members.
“The Air Force Honor Guard Drill Team also wears this uniform,” Roan said. “They have to have a lot of special movement for throwing the rifles and doing all of the things they do. We had to make sure that we build in their ability to do all of those maneuvers with a tailored look.”
Published: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 3:15 PM
— Luke Bryan announced the official dates for the 10th annual Farm Tour 2018, with six stops in cities from Ohio to Florida.
This year, the “Sunrise Sunburn Sunset” country superstar will kick off the tour September 27 in Irwin, Ohio.
“I can’t believe we’ve been doing this 10 years!” Bryan said in a statement on his website. “Our goal was to bring big-city production concerts into these small towns across the U.S. giving those communities the opportunity to attend shows that would never come their way.”
Tickets for the “Bayer Presents Luke Bryan Farm Tour 2018” go on sale June 6. Presale ticket sales begin June 1, according to his website.
Proceeds from the Farm Tour go toward college scholarships for students from local farming families who are attending local colleges or universities near their own town.
Over 100,000 people have attended the Farm Tour since it kicked off in 2009. Over 50 scholarships have been given out to date, according to Bryan’s announcement.
Bryan, a Georgia native, told Billboard that the Farm Tour is a very personal experience for him.
“My whole existence, and the reason that I’m in country music, was based on me being in an agricultural family,” Bryan told Billboard. “It taught me everything I know about life, and my work ethic. It has shaped who I am. I took all those values, and I brought them to Nashville, and used that hard work to get my career off the ground. I still go back home and talk to my dad, and talk about how the business is going. It’s still very present, and very important in my life.”
Published: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 3:12 PM
Updated: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 3:12 PM
DAYTON — Catalyst Paper Corporation announced today that it has agreed to sell its U.S. mills and operations center near Dayton for $175 million.
Nine Dragons Paper in Hong Kong will acquire all of Catalyst’s U.S. based mills along with an operations center located at 7777 Washington Village Drive in Washington Township. Catalyst’s two mills are located in Rumford, Maine and Biron, Wisconsin, according to the company.
The sale is expected to be finalized by the end of June with a favorable vote by Catalyst’s shareholders, according to the company. Catalyst shareholders are expected to meet on June 11.
“We’re proud of what our employees have accomplished at our Biron and Rumford mills and our Dayton operations center. Their hard work and dedication have vastly improved these operations,” said Ned Dwyer, Catalyst president and chief executive officer.
This news organization has reached out to a spokesperson for Nine Dragons Paper to ask how many jobs in Dayton may be affected by the sale.
Nine Dragons' major focus is on environmentally friendly recycled paper, but it also operates conventional pulp mills like those it's buying in Maine and Wisconsin. Eventually, Nine Dragons said it plans to invest in high-growth packaging paper and pulp products to keep both of the mills on a competitive footing.
"We look forward to working with the teams and communities in Maine and Wisconsin as we embark on this next phase of expansion together," Nine Dragons Chairwoman Yan Cheung said.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
FIVE FAST READS
Published: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 3:55 PM
Updated: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 3:55 PM
— At least three women were injured Friday after an SUV jumped a curb in downtown Portland and struck them before speeding away, according to multiple reports.
Portland Fire & Rescue officials confirmed authorities were responding to the incident near the intersection of SW 6th Avenue and SW Hall Street around 10:20 a.m. local time.
Update 3:55 p.m. EDT: A suspect was in custody Friday after a blue SUV struck at least three women Friday in downtown Portland, KPTV reported.
#BREAKING: SUV matching description of vehicle involved in downtown Portland hit-and-run cornered by police at NE 16th & Glisan. Driver taken into custody. Visible damage on front of SUV seen from AIR 12. #FOX12 pic.twitter.com/EeZud7rRr4— Tyler Dumont FOX 12 (@TylerDumontNews) May 25, 2018
Police earlier asked for help locating the SUV. By 12:45 p.m. local time, authorities said the vehicle had been located.
UPDATE: SW 6 Ave/SW Montgomery St. The blue Mazda Tribute has been located by police. Based on information learned at this time, the Police Bureau does not believe there is a danger to the community connected with this incident.— Portland Police (@PortlandPolice) May 25, 2018
Update 2:25 p.m. EDT: Portland police confirmed that three women were injured Friday in a hit-in-run reported in downtown Portland.
Police said the injuries appeared to be serious and two of the women’s injuries appeared to be life-threatening.
Authorities said a fourth person might have also been injured but left the scene before police arrived.
Officials did not rule out the possibility that the crash could be connected to terrorism, though police said it was too early to tell Friday afternoon.
Update 1:53 p.m. EDT: Police described Friday’s crash as a “hit and run,” according to KATU.
A witness, who said he was nearly run over, told The Oregonian that it was clear that the driver of the car acted intentionally before Friday’s crash.
"When he got right before me he gunned it,” said the man, who was not identified. He estimated that the vehicle was traveling at about 45 mph when it collided with several other pedestrians.
Witness said driver almost hit him, “gunned the motor” trying to hit him after hitting three people. Three hospitalized, officer said. pic.twitter.com/u9TIF9nn7z— Fedor Zarkhin (@FedorZarkhin) May 25, 2018
Original report: The Oregonian reported that at least three people were injured, citing an officer at the scene.
Officer at scene downtown Portland said car drove onto sidewalk, 3 people taken to hospital. Area cordoned off with tape. @Oregonian— Fedor Zarkhin (@FedorZarkhin) May 25, 2018
Matt Ritzi told the newspaper that he was walking to Portland State University when he saw the aftermath of the accident, which left three or four people on the ground. He said he saw more than a dozen people trying to help them. "
I heard a lot of moaning and crying," he told The Oregonian. "I didn't see much movement."
Published: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 2:45 PM
Updated: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 3:00 PM
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Friday warmly welcomed North Korea’s promising response to his abrupt withdrawal from the potentially historic Singapore summit and said “we’re talking to them now” about putting it back on track.
“Everybody plays games,” said Trump, who often boasts about his own negotiating tactics and skill.
The president, commenting as he left the White House for a commencement speech, said it was even possible the summit could take place on the originally planned June 12 date.
“They very much want to do it, we’d like to do it,” he said.
Earlier Friday, in a tweet, he had called the North’s reaction to his letter canceling the summit “warm and productive.” That was far different from his letter Thursday to North Korea leader Kim Jong Un, blaming “tremendous anger and open hostility” by Pyongyang for the U.S. withdrawal.
The tone from both sides was warmer on Friday. First, North Korea issued a statement saying it was still “willing to give the U.S. time and opportunities” to reconsider talks “at any time, at any format.”
Ohio leaders react
Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, was in Dayton Friday and said he was not surprised President Trump called off the summit with North Korea, but was hopeful direct negotiation would happen to cause the regime to disarm its nuclear capability.
“I’ve been one of those people calling for direct negotiations with North Korea, not because they are a country that we should reward or that we can trust, but because we should have direct negotiations with any country that has this nuclear weapons capability,” said Portman, R-Ohio.
He said global sanctions imposed on North Korea were a “good news” story that worked.
“It’s a good example of where if you can get the international community (together) on something, and it really is a diplomatic effort, you can put enough pressure on a regime, even a regime as evil as this one where they say, ‘OK, we want to come to the table and talk,’” said Portman, who also noted North Korea’s recent release of three American detainees.
Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, said he was “disappointed” that the talks would not take place in June, but is hopeful groundwork can be laid for a future summit.
“We all agree a denuclearized North Korea must be our goal,” he said.
Democratic Ohio House members, meanwhile, were more critical of Trump’s approach.
Rep. Marcy Kaptur of Toledo said North Korea “is not an honest broker” and said that “rushed attempts to deter that nation from its decades-long tradition of brutal and unstable dictatorships will not be effective.”
“Validating Kim Jong Un with the direct involvement of the President may well be premature when dealing with an immature dictator,” she said, but urged Trump to continue to pursue high-level diplomatic talks.
North Korea, U.S. Defense leaders respond
Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan called Trump’s withdrawal “unexpected” and “very regrettable,” and said the cancellation of the talks showed “how grave the status of historically deep-rooted hostile North Korea-U.S. relations is and how urgently a summit should be realized to improve ties.”
Then Trump, in his response to that response, said it was “very good news,” and “we will soon see where it will lead, hopefully to long and enduring prosperity and peace. Only time (and talent) will tell!”
At the Pentagon, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis called the recent back-and-forth between Trump and North Korea the “usual give and take.”
The president’s surprise exit from the planned talks on Thursday had capped weeks of high-stakes brinkmanship between the two unpredictable leaders over nuclear negotiating terms for their unprecedented sit-down. The U.S. announcement came not long after Kim appeared to make good on his promise to demolish his country’s nuclear test site. But it also followed escalating frustration — and newly antagonistic rhetoric — from North Korea over comments from Trump aides about U.S. expectations for the North’s “denuclearization.”