log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, November 10, 2017 @ 9:08 AM
To reduce the number of personnel security investigations backlogged in the Air Force, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base on Oct. 31 became the first installation in the Air Force to host a temporary National Background Investigation Bureau hub.
More than 90,000 investigations are currently backlogged in the Air Force.
The Dayton region is the third highest region in the United States for backlogged cases with approximately 2,000 cases currently open. To reduce the number of cases, temporary National Background Investigation Bureau satellite hubs will be set up on Air Force installations with large numbers of backlogged personnel security investigations.
“This is not the fix to the systemic backlog but rather an effort to drive-down the steep numbers for the short term while the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence and the Office of Personnel Management work on broader initiatives,” said Terry Reynolds, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center’s information protection collateral security lead. “Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is the first location for this effort, and there are several other follow-on locations planned so this installation will set the standard for how this is executed across the Air Force.”
More than 3,000 personnel security investigations are submitted annually from Wright-Patterson.
The National Background Investigation Bureau determined that investigators had been spending a significant amount of time locating and traveling to interviewees. The pilot National Background Investigation Bureau Hub at Wright-Patterson AFB will test the approach of a more deliberate scheduling combined with interviews being performed at a single location. The goal is to dramatically reduce the time investigators spend on traveling and tracking down interviewees resulting in condensing 52 weeks of field work down to 12.
Operating until Jan. 19, 2018, the National Background Investigation Bureau hub on Wright-Patterson AFB employs 25 agents at a central location in Area A to conduct personnel security investigation interviews. Another team of agents are also assigned to conduct interviews at off-base locations.
Those who will be interviewed will be notified via ETMS to schedule an appointment for their interview with an agent.
“It is important to note the those who require an interview at this point in their clearance will be contacted,” said Deena Hartell, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center’s personnel security lead. “We have had several instances of people who have recently been submitted for an investigation and have tried to contact our schedulers to see if they can get their interview done while the hub is here. Those who are being interviewed had already been identified in advance and will receive their e-mail notifications to schedule an appointment.”
Hartell said those who will be interviewed should look for an e-mail from ETMS with the subject “Mandatory Appointment – Background Investigation.” Those who receive the notification have 48 hours to schedule an appointment in ETMS. In order to expedite the interview process, interviewees are asked to bring the following items to the interview:
• Common access card (CAC)
• Any financial information related to financial delinquencies or issues
• Cell phone or address book with contact information for personnel contact sources (this is only a means for the interviewee to provide contact information; agents will not look through the phone)
• Copies of any SF 86Cs (changes or updates to your SF86 since originally signed)
On average, interviews will last approximately 30 minutes but can take as long as two hours.
Supervisors and co-workers of interviewees will also be interviewed as part of the investigation. Hartell asks when contacted by an agent, to be responsive in scheduling an appointment so the investigation can be completed.
Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 6:55 PM
Updated: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 11:50 PM
MORAINE — Tons of trash dumped in a wooded area off Germantown Pike, which has caused an overpowering stench, is part of a Monday law enforcement raid at the property that led to one arrest.
A large law enforcement presence was at a Germantown Pike property all day.
Montgomery County Sheriff’s deputies, a special weapons and tactics team and Regional Agencies Narcotics and Gun Enforcement task force members were on scene at a home in the 6700 block of Germantown Pike and deep into the woods of the property.
Deputies brought a semi and dumpster back into the woods. They were seen moving some of the trash around. They hauled away a backhoe as evidence.
Neighbors said deputies carried piles of items from that wooded area, as well as from a house and garage.
“They found stuff back there. They’ve carried out huge tubs, looked like it was really heavy. Big boxes of things. They carried out stuff in cloths, white cloths.”
Neighbors said the RANGE task force was ready to break down the home’s front door when one of them offered a key. They said they watched deputies carry out several guns, and then the task force did break a door to get into the garage.
One man was spotted handcuffed in back of a cruiser.
Logan R. Lucas, 23, was arrested at 2 p.m. during the raid in the 6700 block of Germantown Pike and booked into the Montgomery County Jail on suspicion of drug possession, online jail records show. He has not been formally charged.
Deputies removed items from the home and deep in the woods behind the property, but so far have not said what led to the investigation.
Crews also removed two dogs along with their food and water bowls from the home, Jacobs said.
Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 11:25 PM
Updated: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 2:50 AM
— UPDATE @2:50 a.m. (June 19): Power has been restored in Montgomery County, according to DP&L.
UPDATE @ 1:30 a.m. (June 19):
Outages in Montgomery County number nearly 1,300, according to the Dayton Power & Light’s online outage map.
At 11 p.m., there were more than 4,100 power outages reported.
UPDATE @ 12:45 a.m. (June 19):
There are 1,586 Dayton Power & Light customers without power, down from more than 4,100 without service in Montgomery County reported at 11 p.m. Monday.
UPDATE @ 12:10 a.m. (June 19):
Power has been restored to half of the original 4,100 customers reported out of service at 11 p.m.
There are now 2,138 without power as Dayton Power & Light crews work to restore service.
The cause of the outage is unknown.
UPDATE @ 11:55 p.m.:
About 500 people have power restored so far when Dayton Power & Light’s online outage map reported 4,100 customers in the dark.
There are now just more than 3,600 without power.
More than 4,100 Dayton Power & Light customers are in the dark in Montgomery County.
Crews were sent to investigate why service was interrupted and to restore power, according to a utility spokeswoman.
The power outage was reported at 11:07 p.m.
According to the online outage map, service is expected to be restored by 1 a.m.
Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 12:53 AM
Updated: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 2:06 AM
Traffic issues can be reported by calling our newsroom at 937-259-2237 or tweeting @WHIOTraffic.
Traffic conditions are updated every six minutes on AM 1290 and News 95.7 FM.
Major Highway Incidents
Surface Street Incidents
>> RELATED: WHIO Weather App
Ongoing Construction & Other Closures
Live look at highways on our traffic cameras here.
Latest traffic conditions are also available on our traffic map.
Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 1:16 PM
Updated: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 1:57 AM
A man pleaded guilty in Clark County court to stealing quarters from a coin machine in New Carlisle, according to online court records.
Jeffrey Hale, 36, of Huber Heights, was charged in Clark County Municipal Court with tampering with a coin machine. He pleaded guilty to the charge and his sentence was not immediately clear.
Clark County deputies began their investigation when they responded to a laundromat in New Carlisle in reference to a theft.
“Upon arrival, the business owner advised he was reviewing his security camera from the weekend and observed a male using a metal wire to remove quarters from the coin machine inside the business,” the report says.
The deputy said he could not identify the man at the time, but did recognize a person with him.
A few days later deputies say they received a tip from an anonymous source who said the man was Hale.
“I located a social for Jeff and pulled up his BMV picture and was able to positively identify the suspect s Jeff Hale,” the affidavit says.