log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 @ 3:26 AM
Updated: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 @ 3:25 AM
CATANIA, Sicily — The Latest on the flow of migrants into Europe (all times local):
A German humanitarian group says it is declining to take aboard 41 migrants rescued by a U.S. Navy ship because Italy has refused to assign the group's ship a port where it can dock.
Sea Watch, whose rescue vessel is operating off Libya's northern coast, said the migrants were picked up by the Navy after their rubber dinghy sank and at least 12 people died. The group said Wednesday the survivors need immediate care on land.
The group cited Italy's recent refusal to let another group's rescue ship dock as the reason it was not taking on the passengers the U.S. Navy ship Trenton rescued Tuesday.
Sea Watch confirmed it had space on board its ship and food for 41 passengers, "but that without an assigned place of safety, Sea-Watch 3 isn't in a position to carry out a transfer" of migrants from the Trenton.
The U.S. Sixth Fleet says it is coordinating with its partners on where the migrants will go.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel is heading for a showdown with her conservative allies in a dispute over whether to turn back some refugees at the border.
Horst Seehofer, who heads the Bavaria-only sister party to Merkel's center-right Christian Democratic Union, made the proposal as part of a 63-point plan to crack down on illegal migration.
As interior minister, Seehofer oversees border control and migration, and his party is under pressure to take a hard line ahead of state elections in Bavaria this fall.
Seehofer told reporters Wednesday that he wants an agreement this week, and backed the idea of an Italian-Austrian-German "axis" to tackle illegal migration.
Speaking at a separate event, Merkel said she wants a "solution for all of Europe" rather than one that works only for some countries.
Italy's finance minister has canceled a planned meeting in Paris with his French counterpart after the two countries clashed over Italy's decision to refuse entry to a migrant rescue ship.
The office of Finance Minister Giovanni Tria confirmed Wednesday's meeting with Bruno Le Maire had been scrapped. Le Maire's office confirmed the cancellation. No reason was given by either office.
But earlier, Italy's foreign ministry warned that relations had been compromised by France's public criticism that Italy's decision to refuse entry to the migrant ship Aquarius had been "cynical" and irresponsible.
Italy summoned the French ambassador to protest and demanded an official apology.
Italy has defended its decision to refuse the Aquarius and its 600 passengers entry. Spain has offered to take it in and the ship is currently on the days long voyage to Valencia.
The U.N. refugee agency chief says a bitter dispute over which European country should take in a rescue boat carrying hundreds of migrants in the Mediterranean is "profoundly shameful" for the European Union.
Filippo Grandi railed against the dispute involving France, Italy, Malta and Spain over the Aquarius, which is carrying some 629 migrants who left from Libya.
Speaking to reporters in Geneva, Grandi said the EU can expect more such incidents in coming weeks as long as it remains divided on its policies toward migrants and refugees.
Spain offered to take in the Aquarius after Italy and Malta refused to do so. French President Emmanuel Macron criticized the Italian government's refusal.
Grandi said closing ports wrongly threatens "rescue at sea" — a requirement under international law — but said Italy's reasoning was "something that we need to listen to."
France's foreign ministry spokeswoman says France is fully aware of the burden weighing on Italy amid the migrant crisis, and of the efforts made by the country.
Agnes von der Muhll says "none of the comments by French authorities have questioned this, nor the need for a close coordination between Europeans", in a written statement Wednesday.
She wouldn't comment any further on the decision of Italian Foreign Minister Enzo Moavero Milanesi to summon the French ambassador on Wednesday following comments by the French president on Italy's refusal to allow a ship carrying rescued migrants to dock.
French President Emmanuel Macron is to meet with new Italian Premier Giuseppe Conte on Friday in Paris.
Migrant-related issues will be at the heart of the discussions and France hopes to maintain a "close dialogue" with its neighbor, the statement says.
The leader of Austria and Germany's conservative interior minister say their countries will cooperate with Italy to tackle the problem of illegal migration.
Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said an "axis of the willing" between Rome, Vienna and Berlin makes sense because the countries form one of the main travel routes into Europe for migrants who have crossed the Mediterranean.
Kurz told reporters in Berlin that a growing number of European governments agree on the need to curb uncontrolled migration and crack down on people trafficking.
Horst Seehofer, Germany's interior minister, said he spoke Tuesday to his Italian counterpart, adding that the three countries would press ahead on the issue.
Seehofer has taken a tough line on immigration that's put him at odds with German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Italy's foreign ministry says French criticism of its handling of the migrant ship Aquarius is "unacceptable," and is compromising their diplomatic relations.
The ministry issued a statement after Foreign Minister Enzo Moavero Milanesi summoned the French ambassador to complain on Wednesday. The French charge d'affairs, Claire Anne Raulin, represented France as the ambassador was out of Rome.
In the statement, Italy said France could have made its views privately, and considered the public complaints by President Emmanuel Macron "unacceptable" and "unjustified." Macron had said Italy had been cynical and irresponsible for having denied entry to the Aquarius, a rescue vessel with more than 600 migrants onboard.
The ministry said: "Such declarations are compromising relations between Italy and France." It added that Italy was waiting for French to take action to "heal the situation that has been created."
Italy is challenging France to take in the migrants it promised to under an EU agreement, and has accused France of turning back some 10,000 migrants at Italy's northern border.
Interior Minister Matteo Salvini blasted the French critique of its handling of the Aquarius migrant ship standoff during a speech to Parliament on Wednesday. Salvini demanded an apology after French President Emmanuel Macron accused Italy of cynical, irresponsible behavior by refusing to let the Aquarius dock in an Italian port.
Salvini said France had committed to accepting 9,816 migrants under a 2015 EU redistribution scheme to relieve front-line countries of the pressure of asylum-seekers. The scheme has never gotten off the ground.
Salvini said in three years, France has accepted only 640 people. "So I ask President Macron to pass from words to action and tomorrow morning welcome the 9,816 France promised to welcome as a sign of concrete generosity and not just words."
The co-founder of the SOS Mediterranee charity says three ships carrying 629 migrants are expected to arrive around Saturday night at the Spanish port of Valencia, depending on weather conditions.
Sophie Beau said Wednesday in a news conference in Marseille, France, "it's a relief for everyone, our teams and of course above all for the survivors to know that they are finally allowed to head to a safe port in Europe."
Beau said while the rescue ship the association operates, the Aquarius, is travelling the 1,500 kilometers (930 miles) to Spain, new victims "are dying under our eyes."
She called on European countries to set up a fleet to save human lives in the Mediterranean Sea.
Spain offered to welcome migrants aboard the Aquarius rescue ship after Italy and Malta refused to take them in.
Italy sent two ships operated by the Italian navy and coast guard to take on some of the migrant passengers and escort the ship on the voyage.
Italy's coast guard says its ship Diciotti has brought 932 migrants to shore in Catania, Sicily, as a diplomatic standoff continues over Italy's refusal to let another rescue ship dock.
The Diciotti was also carrying the corpses of two people who died during their voyage, a woman and a teenage boy.
Thirteen of the passengers disembarking in Catania are pregnant and 208 are minors. The passengers hailed from Eritrea, Sudan, Mali, Ivory Coast and Guinea.
During the voyage to Sicily, four pregnant women and a man suffering from fever were evacuated urgently and taken to hospitals.
The Aquarius migrant ship operated by SOS Mediterranee has been refused entry to Italian ports. It is now heading to Spain.
Italy has summoned the French ambassador for consultations after French President Emmanuel Macron criticized what he called Italy's cynicism and irresponsibility in turning away a migrant rescue ship with more than 600 people aboard.
A statement from the foreign ministry said the ambassador had been summoned Wednesday morning "following the statements given in Paris yesterday about the Aquarius."
Macron's office said Tuesday that France doesn't want to "start a precedent" that would allow some European countries to breach international laws and rely on other EU member states to take in migrants.
Spain has agreed to accept the Aquarius in its port in Valencia.
An Italian coast guard vessel has docked in Sicily with more than 900 migrants aboard, evidence that Italy's new anti-migrant government is still taking in some asylum-seekers but is forcing the rest of Europe to accept others.
Crew aboard the Diciotti began disembarking passengers in Catania's port early Wednesday. At the same time, the Aquarius vessel of the aid group SOS Mediterranee continued its days long westward voyage to Spain, where it was rerouted after Italy and Malta refused it entry.
The fates of the two ships are evidence of the policy shift by Italy's new populist government: refuse entry to rescue ships of European-flagged aid groups, but allow Italian maritime vessels in its ports.
Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 2:41 PM
MOSCOW — Several corporations have launched campaigns for the World Cup, but Burger King is being criticized for one many have called offensive and sexist.
On Tuesday, the Russian division of the fast-food chain announced a new promotion online that offered women $47,000 and a lifetime supply of Whoppers if they got impregnated by athletes competing in the series.
“It is a reward for the girls who would get pregnant from the international football superstars,” read the campaign, which was posted on the Russian social media platform Vkontakte.
The now deleted promotion pic.twitter.com/mg7xETHfQW— Jenna Fryer (@JennaFryer) June 20, 2018
Soon after it was uploaded, the company received backlash on Twitter.
All i want to know is who in that marketing team thought this was a good idea. pic.twitter.com/mlDt0ejw5U— magnolia darjeeling (@MagnoliaDarj) June 21, 2018
How can someone even think of this?!?— Soumya (@mesoumya) June 21, 2018
I'm sure a highly sexist upbringing might have helped. https://t.co/unBgOwAdpj
Apology NOT accepted, I expect this is another case of being purposefully offensive for the outrage publicity and advertising executives do it because they can. https://t.co/GKroo2JIJZ— GSDog Button 🐺🐾 (@ButtonBodkin) June 21, 2018
Burger King later removed the advertisement, but it was still being posted by Russian social network users.
“We are sorry about the clearly offensive promotion that the team in Russia launched online,” Burger King said in a statement to The Associated Press, adding that the offer “does not reflect our brand or our values and we are taking steps to ensure this type of activity does not happen again.”
This isn’t the first time the Russian division of the company has been condemned. Last year, it depicted a 17-year-old rape victim in a “buy one burger get one free” ad. It was also taken down.
Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 11:35 AM
— Two young elephants had fun with a soccer ball at an elephant rescue center in Chiang Mai, Thailand, as video obtained from Reuters shows.
The two elephants, a male named Dok Geaw, and a female named Thong Ae, are both two years old. They were orphaned when they were young, according to Saengduean Lek Chailert, founder of the Save Elephant Foundation.
Both elephants live in the sanctuary about 60 kilometers from Chiang Mai, in northern Thailand, where it currently houses 35 elephants rescued from Thailand's tourism and logging industries since the 1990s, according to their website.
TRENDING: America’s top 13 favorite grocery stores
Published: Friday, June 01, 2018 @ 8:46 AM
CAIRNS, Australia — A cockatoo is winning the animal internet contest Friday, if there really was such a thing.
Traffic on a road in Cairns, Australia was going smoothly so there was nothing to see, except for the curious cockatoo that was checking out a traffic camera, 9 News reported.
The Department of Transport and Main Roads posted the video to Facebook where it is closing in on a million views within nine hours of being uploaded.
It may not have been the camera itself that piqued the interest of the cockatoo.
A bird expert said that it could have actually been looking at itself.
“If it’s seeing its reflection it may be communicating in some way. They are very social creatures, and they recognize individuals. A lot of them have friendship groups like we do,” Dr. Adrian Gallagher told ABC.net.
And the bird knows where to look for his reflection. Officials told ABC that this specific bird has visited the camera before.
Published: Thursday, May 31, 2018 @ 7:47 AM
SYDNEY — No normal bad day of work will compare to a valet’s bad day in Sydney, Australia.
Imagine being in charge of parking a Porsche Carrera and ending up with this:
This hotel valet in Sydney managed to wedge a guest's Porsche Carrera under an SUV while trying to park it https://t.co/8kQ71V3M34— CNN International (@cnni) May 31, 2018
The Porsche is the crushed car, wedged under the orange SUV.
An eyewitness described what happened, CNN reported.
“I saw the valet hit the car in from of a parked position,” Jonathan Bouzaid said. “He must have panicked and hit the accelerator causing the Porsche to go further under the orange car and pushing the white car in to the bollards.”
Bouzaid surmised that the valet didn’t realize how powerful a Porsche can be.
CNN reported that the car can go from 0 to 62 in less than five seconds.
The valet had to be cut from the soft-top luxury sports car, Time reported.
He was physically OK, but the Hyatt hotel’s sales and marketing director said the driver was embarrassed and in shock.
The Porsche had damage to the hood and front bumper and was towed from the scene, Time reported.
Some witnesses said they thought the crash was part of a stunt, 9 News in Australia reported.