log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 12:11 PM
— At least eight people have died after deadly winds blew through Europe.
Two firefighters are among the victims of the hurricane-strength winds that damaged buildings and tore trees from the ground, the BBC reported.
Travel was delayed due to the storm.
Germany’s Deutsche Bahn stopped running trains on Thursday, but restarted long-distance runs on Friday, according to media reports.
The storm is being considered one of the strongest storms to hit the country in 11 years, CNN reported.
Amsterdam’s air traffic was shut down after two of three terminals were closed when roof plates were blown off the building, CNN reported.
In other parts of Europe, users posted photos of damage to social media.
Shipping containers blown over in #Nederland this morning as a severe #windstorm counties to affect the country. Video; @cosmompolitanbe #extremeweather #severeweather #storm pic.twitter.com/86X2zXS61e— WEATHER/ METEO WORLD (@StormchaserUKEU) January 18, 2018
Published: Friday, May 18, 2018 @ 11:12 PM
Updated: Saturday, May 19, 2018 @ 4:08 PM
HAVANA, Cuba — A Boeing 737 crashed Friday shortly after takeoff from Jose Marti International Airport in Havana, Cuba.
Adel Yzquierdo Rodriguez, Cuba’s transportation minister, told The Associated Press Saturday that 110 people were killed in the crash. Three women survived the crash but are in critical condition.
Rodriguez said 113 people were on board, including 102 Cubans, three tourists, two foreign residents and six crew members who were from Mexico.
The BBC reported Saturday that one of the plane’s black boxes has been found in good condition.
The domestic flight was headed to Holguin and crashed at approximately 12:30 p.m. local time, according to state TV reports.
The plane was rented by Cubana Airlines, WPLG reports.
Friday's crash was Cuba’s third major fatal aviation accident since 2010, the AP reported.
One of black boxes from Boeing 737 that crashed in Havana on Friday found "in good condition", Cuban officials say. https://t.co/OHYW3Dsy6l— BBC Breaking News (@BBCBreaking) May 19, 2018
Published: Sunday, May 13, 2018 @ 3:15 PM
Updated: Sunday, May 13, 2018 @ 3:15 PM
PARIS — Update 3:15 p.m EDT Sunday: A jihadist monitoring group says a video released by the Islamic State’s Amaq news agency appears to show the suspected Paris knife attacker pledging allegiance to the group’s leader, according to The Associated Press. The person in the video has their nose and mouth covered. It is not clear if the 2-and-a-half minute video is in fact the attacker.
Earlier, Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov identified the alleged attacker as Khazmat Azimov. Azimov was born in the Russian republic of Chechnya, but was a French citizen.
“I consider it necessary to state that all responsibility for the fact that Khazmat Azimov went on the road of crime lies completely with the authorities of France,” Kadyrov said. “He was only born in Chechnya, and his growing up, the formation of his personality, his views and persuasions occurred in French society.”
The suspect killed one person and injured four others. Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said the four injured people are out of life-threatening danger, The AP reported.
According to a French judicial official not authorized to speak publicly about the incident told The AP the suspect was on a police watchlist for radicalism.
Update 10:45 a.m. EDT Sunday: The Associated Press reported that the parents of the suspected attacker who killed one person and injured four others are still being questioned, according to a French judicial official. A friend of the assailant has also been taken in for questioning.
The alleged 20 year old attacker was identified by Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov as as Khasan Azimov, according to The AP.
Kadyrov said he had been informed the attacker had French citizenship and had a Russian passport until he was 14.
Interior Ministry spokesman Frederic de Lanouvelle told The Associated Press the alleged attacker had no history of criminal activity or arrests and did not know the victims.
Update 2:49 a.m. EDT Sunday: The attacker who killed a 29-year-old man and hurt four others Saturday in Paris was born in Chechnya but “had French nationality,” The Associated Press reported early Sunday, citing an unnamed judicial official.
The official said the suspect, who was killed by police who responded to the knife attack, was born in 1997, according to the AP.
His parents have been detained for questioning, the official said.
The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack.
ORIGINAL STORY: Police responded Saturday evening to reports of a man stabbing people near the Paris Opera.
One person was killed and four others injured in the melee, French authorities said. The suspect targeted the five people, killing one, seriously injuring two and leaving the other two with minor injuries.
🔴 Agression de 5 personnes dans le 2ème arrondissement de Paris par un individu armé d’un couteau: une victime est décédée, deux sont blessées grièvement et deux sont blessées légèrement. L’agresseur est décédé.— Préfecture de police (@prefpolice) May 12, 2018
The attacker, who has not been identified, died, officials said. The reason for the attack is still unknown.
The Islamic State group’s news agency said the suspect was a “soldier” and has taken claim for the attack.
“France is once again paying the price of blood, but will not cede an inch to enemies of freedom,” President Emmanuel Macron said in response to the terror group’s claim.
Toutes mes pensées vont aux victimes et aux blessés de l’attaque au couteau perpétrée ce soir à Paris, ainsi qu’à leurs proches. Je salue au nom de tous les Français le courage des policiers qui ont neutralisé le terroriste (1/2).— Emmanuel Macron (@EmmanuelMacron) May 12, 2018
The area has been contained and the situation is under control, according to Paris police.
🔴 Agression dans le 2ème arrondissement de Paris le préfet de Police, Michel Delpuech, tient à assurer les victimes et leurs familles de son soutien. Il s’est par ailleurs entretenu avec les policiers ayant neutralisé l’assaillant pour saluer leur action.— Préfecture de police (@prefpolice) May 12, 2018
Eyewitnesses shared their account of the incident on social media.
1) I came out of a comedy show near Opera in central Paris and was immediately told to go back in because there was a madman with a knife. Once back inside we heard sirens and 2 gun shots. I then spoke to eyewitnesses who told me a man stabbed multilple people at random. pic.twitter.com/xvTmAv0ckb— Charles Pellegrin (@ChPilgrim) May 12, 2018
2) the eyewitnesses then told me police tried to tazer the attacker. This did not work, so they fired two shots. Police have now set up a perimeter and say the situation is under control. Ambulances are rushing to the scene.— Charles Pellegrin (@ChPilgrim) May 12, 2018
Media reports 4 injured, including 2 seriously (@BFMTV )— Charles Pellegrin (@ChPilgrim) May 12, 2018
Published: Friday, May 11, 2018 @ 5:24 PM
SYDNEY — An Australian man who has spent most of his life donating blood is retiring.
James Harrison has donated blood nearly every week for 60 years. He’s made 1,100 donations, saving the lives of more than 2.4 million Australian babies, according to the Australian Red Cross Blood Service.
Known as the “man with the golden arm,” the 81-year-old’s blood is special. It has disease-fighting antibodies that have been used to develop the Anti-D injection, which helps combat Rhesus D Haemolytic Disease, or HDN.
The illness occurs when a pregnant woman’s blood begins attacking her unborn baby’s blood cells, causing brain damage or death for the baby.
It develops when the mom has rhesus-negative blood and the infant has rhesus-positive blood, inherited from the father. The different antigens cause the mother’s body to harm the baby.
Although doctors are unsure why Harrison’s blood contains the rare antibody that fights the disease, they believe it’s likely due to a major chest surgery he had that required a blood transfusion when he was 14.
Harrison became a blood donor after he recovered from the surgery. Once doctors discovered his blood was one-of-a-kind, he began offering blood plasma donations to help more people.
Now, it’s time for him to retire. Australia doesn’t allow citizens to donate blood past age 81.
“I hope it’s a record that somebody breaks, because it will mean they are dedicated to the cause,” Harrison said of his feat. He has received numerous awards for his generosity.
Harrison will continue to help health experts by donating his DNA samples for future research.
Published: Monday, May 07, 2018 @ 3:11 PM
— Egyptian officials finally know what lies behind the walls of King Tut’s tomb -- absolutely nothing.
Officials had been confident, 90 percent sure, that there was a hidden room behind the plastered walls of Tutankhamun’s tomb. Some theorized that it was the Queen Nefertiti’s burial chamber, but now new research shows that there is no chamber, multiple media outlets are reporting.
It all started when archeologist Nicholas Reeves looked at scans that showed what he believed were faint signs of a door beneath the thousands-of-years-old plaster, the BBC reported.
In his paper, “The Burial of Nefertiti,” Reeves wrote that Tutankhamun’s tomb was originally designed for the queen -- who some believe was his mother and that that woman whose bust is known the world over -- and she was simply interred in an undiscovered area of the burial site.
Not only do some scholars of ancient Egyptian history believe that Nefertiti was Tut’s mother, some go as far as believing that she served as pharaoh after her husband, the Pharaoh Akhenaten -- also known as Amenhotep the IV prior to taking the throne and father to Tutankhamun -- died during his reign.
Italian researchers from the University of Turin have been scanning Tut’s burial chamber in light of Reeves’ discoveries and they say that their results show that there is no extra chamber, NBC News reported.
“It is maybe a little bit disappointing that there is nothing behind the walls of Tutankhamun’s tomb, but I think on the other hand that this is good science,” Francesco Porcelli told the BBC.
Porcelli said that the team looked at three sets of radar data and cross-checked them to make sure their findings were accurate.
Other scans conducted by scientists from Japan and the United States had proved inclusive, NBC News reported.