Malta announces 10 arrests in journalist's car bomb killing

Published: Monday, December 04, 2017 @ 8:33 AM
Updated: Monday, December 04, 2017 @ 8:33 AM

Ten suspects were arrested Monday for the car bomb slaying of a prominent Maltese journalist who covered corruption, the prime minister and other authorities said.

The arrests came seven weeks to the day after the assassination of Daphne Caruana Galizia. They were the first known break in a crime that shocked Malta and motivated European Union officials to look into the EU island nation's laws and government.

Caruana Galizia, 53, was killed Oct. 16 when a bomb destroyed her car as she was driving near her home. Prime Minister Joseph Muscat, who was among the subjects of the late reporter's investigations, declined to say who the suspects were or why they were arrested.

Eight Maltese citizens were arrested because of "reasonable suspicion" for their involvement in Caruana Galizia's killing, Muscat told reporters at a news conference.

A little while later, Muscat tweeted that two others had been arrested. They also are Maltese, Home Minister Michael Farrugia said. Authorities did not release the names of any of the 10 suspects.

Explaining the reason for staying tight-lipped, Muscat cited concerns that divulging information could compromise the prosecutions. Farrugia said he wouldn't disclose anything because "I have been already threatened by legal action by the Caruana Galizia family."

The journalist's family alleged last month that Farrugia had put the investigation at risk by sharing confidential information with lawmakers. The minister brushed off the allegation, but the family said it was prepared to take legal action to prevent the government from sabotaging the case.

Caruana Galizia's family reacted angrily to how the arrests were announced on Monday, saying police should have informed them before the prime minister. They reiterated their skepticism that justice would be carried out, despite Muscat's public insistence that all would be done to find and punish the killers.

Muscat "appears to view the investigation into Daphne Caruana Galizia's assassination as a marketing exercise for his government and not as a contract killing, which has left surviving family members wondering what happened and how justice can be truly served," the family said in a statement.

They said they had already written to the police commission about "the constant stream of leaks which prejudice the integrity of the investigation," but never received a response.

The family contended the police had leaked information about the identities of seven suspects.

"It is important to ask whether they are not also leaking information to other suspects, some of whom could be in or close to government," the statement continued.

"The blurring of boundaries with the executive — and this in a case which has political implications — is disturbing," the family statement said. "When the handling of an investigation is not sound, it is difficult to have faith in its outcome."

The arrests coordinated among the Police Corps, the Armed Forces of Malta and the Security Services. The investigation appeared to be continuing Monday as police and military members cordoned off an area in Marsa, a small port town close to Valletta, the capital of Malta. Marsa is where most of the arrests were made.

Video released later by Maltese police showed officers and members of the security service and armed forces making some of the arrests. Some officers arrived in Marsa by boat and apprehended suspects in waterfront warehouses.

Maltese media, citing unidentified police sources, said two brothers were among the suspects. One of them was acquitted of a 2015 armed robbery charge for lack of sufficient evidence. The other has been charged with possession of unlicensed weapons and tools used to pick locks.

Investigators have 48 hours to question the suspects to decide whether to seek charges, in accordance with Maltese law.

A court hearing was set for Tuesday, when the police can officially file charges. The suspects then can either plead innocent or guilty. The magistrate will decide whether to set bail or remand them in custody.

Europol, the European Union's police agency, has sent a team of organized crime experts to help Maltese police investigate the assassination, joining the FBI and Dutch forensic experts.

Muscat told reporters Monday that when the evidence is compiled, during court proceedings "all the relevant information will be made public," including input from the FBI and European investigators, including from Finland's National Bureau of Investigation, as well as Maltese investigators.

Just before her death, Caruana Galizia, 53, had posted on her closely followed blog, Running Commentary, that there were "crooks everywhere" in Malta.

Malta has a reputation as a tax haven in the European Union and has attracted companies and money from outside Europe as well.

Last week, a visiting delegation of European Parliament lawmakers left the island expressing concerns over the rule of law in the country and issued a warning that the "perception of impunity in Malta cannot continue."

Low tax rates and a popular government program that allows wealthy foreigners to buy Maltese citizenship have made the country an attractive place for investment, financial and other companies. Authorities, including anti-Mafia investigators in nearby Italy, worry that Malta is eyed by criminals on the lookout for money-laundering schemes.

Caruana Galizia focused her reporting for years on investigating political corruption and scandals, and reported on Maltese mobsters and drug trafficking. She also wrote about Maltese links to the so-called Panama Papers leaks about offshore financial havens.

Many top officials had sued her over her reporting. Caruana Galizia made plain she didn't trust the island's police or judiciary to adequately investigate many of the wrongdoings she alleged.

Muscat said Monday of the slaying: "As I stated as soon as I learned about this barbaric act, we will leave no stone unturned to get this case solved."

Trending - Most Read Stories

WATCH: Cowboy hero takes down armed robber

Published: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 12:28 PM

WATCH: Cowboy hero takes down armed robber

A dramatic tackle of an armed robber was caught on CCTV in Monterrey, northern Mexico on Monday, April 23.

A store customer wearing a cowboy hat can be seen removing his glasses and tackling a young man who enters the store pointing a gun at employees. 

POLITICS: Ohio Rep. tells sheriffs ‘to completely ignore’ Kasich executive order

The armed robber turned toward a second employee a few seconds after entering the store, which is when the customer seized the opportunity to attack the robber, whose weapon drops to the floor.

Trending - Most Read Stories

‘Angry badger’ forces doors to close at 500-year-old castle tunnel, tourist spot

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 10:59 AM

FILE PHOTO (ImBooToo/Morguefile license: https://morguefile.com/license)
ImBooToo/Morguefile
FILE PHOTO (ImBooToo/Morguefile license: https://morguefile.com/license)(ImBooToo/Morguefile)

A castle in Scotland has lasted for 500 years but the property is apparently no match for an angry badger. Yes, you’ve read that right. An angry badger shut down tourist access to a tunnel at Craignethan Castle, the BBC reported.  

>> Read more trending news 

Officials allowed the public access to the rest of the 5-century-old building but the tunnel was closed not only for people’s safety, but also for the badger’s, officials told the BBC.

The badger apparently did some damage to the masonry of the castle before it left the building either Friday night or Saturday morning on its own accord.

The animal left after castle staff members tried cat food and honey to coax it out, the Guardian reported.

Castle staff members who run the property’s Twitter account had a little online fun, posting a GIF image of dancing badgers when they announced the tunnel’s closing.

Trending - Most Read Stories

WATCH: Polar bear cub takes first steps outside zoo

Published: Saturday, April 14, 2018 @ 2:56 PM

Polar bear cub takes first steps outside zoo

A 18-week-old polar bear cub left the birthing box at Gelsenkirchen's zoological garden for the first time together with his mother on Friday, April 13.

The cub was born on Dec. 4, 2017 and now weighs about 20 kilograms (44 pounds.) 

WATCH: The 53rd annual ACM Awards are Sunday on WHIO-TV

Gelsenkirchen Mayor Frank Baranowski unveiled the name of the little polar bear. Five proposals were up for election for almost two weeks: Nanook, Mathilda, Lenja, Lore and Baerbel. 

Most polar bear fans voted for Nanook, the animal keepers' proposal, on the zoo's website homepage. Nanook comes from the Inuit language and means polar bear.

Trending - Most Read Stories

WATCH: Baby elephant born in Belgium

Published: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 @ 4:28 PM

Baby elephant born in Belgium

Belgium's Planckendael Zoo on Wednesday (April 11) welcomed its third baby elephant this year, a boost to the zoo's breeding program of Asian elephants.

LOCAL: Miami County sheriff identifies cold case victim 37 years ago

The new arrival, still without a name, became the first male Asian elephant to be born at the zoo this year. 

On his feet within fifteen minutes of his delivery and now walking well, the newborn is perfectly healthy, the zoo said. 

TRENDING: Woman charged after boy, 14, paid her $480 for sex at Florida hotel

The elephant arrived on the birthday of his aunt, delighting zookeepers and boosting the herd to ten members.

Trending - Most Read Stories