log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Monday, July 09, 2018 @ 10:18 AM
Updated: Monday, July 09, 2018 @ 10:17 AM
ISTANBUL — Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan named the members of his new Cabinet after he was sworn in Monday under a new governing system that grants him sweeping executive powers and which critics think gives him far too much control.
Mevlut Cavusoglu will remain as Turkey's foreign minister and Suleyman Soylu as the country's interior minister. The revamped 16-ministry Cabinet also includes Erdogan's son-in-law, Berat Albayrak, who will head treasury and finance as the Turkish economy shows signs of instability.
The executive system of government that began with Erdogan's swearing-in scraps Turkey's parliamentary governance structure and boosts the powers of the formerly ceremonial presidency.
"One of the most important democratic transformations of our country in its history has been successfully completed today," Erdogan said.
Under the new system, the president forms government, appoints ministers, vice presidents and high-level bureaucrats. Previously, the prime minister —now a defunct post— formed the government by making elected members of parliament ministers.
The process began in a contentious referendum last year when the executive presidency was voted in and last month's snap elections solidified Erdogan's power, which he won with 52.6 percent of the vote.
The president can issue decrees, prepare the budget and has the power to impose a state of emergency. Parliament legislates, can ratify or reject his budget and the president needs parliamentary approval for emergency rule and decrees passed during that time.
"Turkey is among the few countries in the world that has changed its governing system in democratic means," he said Monday.
Erdogan unveiled the rebranded presidency during his inauguration at the sprawling presidential compound, saying it would bring strength, stability and efficiency to the country. He said it did away with a "system that heavily cost our country through political, social and economic chaos."
Erdogan's son-in-law, who previously served as energy minister, assumes responsibility for Turkey's finances at a precarious time. The economy is experiencing high inflation, a declining currency and twin current account and budget deficits even as Erdogan insists on low interest rates.
Crowds cheered Erdogan along his convoy's route as he made his way to the inauguration ceremony. The presidency tweeted with the hashtag #NewEraWithErdogan. A special one lira coin (less than 25 U.S. cents) was minted for guests with the image of the presidential palace, dated July 9, 2018.
Some 50 countries were represented at the ceremony, among them controversial figures like Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir, according to official Anadolu news agency. Major Western leaders were not in attendance.
Erdogan will not only run the executive branch but also lead his Justice and Development Party in parliament where he is short of a majority and therefore allied with a nationalist party.
Critics say the new system undermines impartiality and could lead to one-man rule with limited checks and balances, especially with a weakened judiciary and parliament.
Published: Monday, July 09, 2018 @ 7:58 AM
Updated: Monday, July 09, 2018 @ 1:40 PM
— The world got its latest, long-awaited glimpse of the newest member of the House of Windsor as Prince Louis was christened Monday, 11 weeks after his birth.
The service was attended by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s two other children. It was the first time all five members of the young royal family have been seen together, the BBC reported.
Also in attendance were Prince William’s father and his wife, Prince Charles and Camilla.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, were at the ceremony along with Kate’s sister Pippa; her husband, James Matthews; and their brother, James Middleton.
Prince Louis was christened at Chapel Royal at St. James’s Palace, baptized by the archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Rev. Justin Welby, Metro reported.
But two people were missing from the ceremony. Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh decided not to attend, according to Metro.
The queen has an extensive schedule this week. She travels back to Windsor Palace from Norfolk Monday, then will have a ceremony to mark the anniversary of the creation of the Royal Air Force Tuesday and has a meeting with President Donald Trump Friday, Metro reported.
Hours before the ceremony, Kensington Palace announced whom the couple named as Prince Louis’ godparents.
Further details about the guests and godparents at the christening of Prince Louis have been announced: https://t.co/pBg5a4p5ff— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) July 9, 2018
He now has three godfathers and three godmothers.
Harry Aubrey-Gletcher went to Eton with Prince William, The Telegraph reported. Nicholas Van Cutsem is a family friend. His daughter was a bridesmaid at their wedding, The Telegraph reported. The final godfather is Guy Pelly, who founded nightclubs and was friends with both William and Prince Harry during their single years, ITV reported.
As for the godmothers, the family named Lady Laura Meade, who is married to James Meade, a friend of Prince William and who is Princess Charlotte’s godfather; Hannah Gillingham, a friend of the Duchess; and Lucy Middleton, Duchess Katherine’s cousin, The Telegraph reported.
Prince Louis wore the same christening gown used for George and Charlotte, which is a copy of the lace and satin dress made for Queen Victoria’s daughter in 1841, Daily Mail reported.
Published: Saturday, July 07, 2018 @ 1:30 PM
MAE SAI, Thailand — A soccer team and their coach who are trapped in a flooded cave in northern Thailand have garnered international attention as rescuers work to save them.
The group of boys and their coach disappeared at the end of June and were found alive earlier this week. Although they’ve been discovered, rescue efforts have been challenging as weather and dangerous pathways complicate the operation.
Here are five things to know about the rescue.
Who is trapped?
Twelve young boys on the Wild Boars soccer team, aged 11 to 16, and their coach, Ekapol Chanthawong, 25, disappeared after they entered the Tham Luang Nang Non cave in Chiang Rai to go exploring.
The boys and their coach are known to be a tight-knit group that goes on adventures, including swimming in waterfalls, cycling trips through the mountains, river rafting and cave exploring, The Associated Press reported.
How did they get trapped?
On June 23, they disappeared when flooding trapped them. Thai Navy SEAL divers discovered the boys and their coach alive 10 days later on July 2 after they had been totally cut off from the outside world.
What condition is the team in?
Video taken inside the cave on July 2 showed the boys and their coach interacting with the rescuers, who were sent to supply them, provide medical care and keep them company, according to The AP.
The members of the group are visibly skinny and weak. However, the boys and their coach appeared to be in good spirits.
Why is the rescue operation taking so long?
The only way out of the cave at this time would be for the boys to dive through the same route they entered, which includes narrow passageways that are extremely dangerous, The AP reported. However, rescuers are reconsidering this route, because oncoming storms could worsen the floods.
Furthermore, CNN reported, oxygen levels have dropped 15 percent, which could cause hypoxia. A diver, identified as former Sgt. Saman Kunan, died due to a lack of air during his return to a command center, according to Chiang Rai Deputy Gov. Passakorn Boonyalak.
How long can the team survive in the conditions?
Published: Saturday, July 07, 2018 @ 9:06 AM
PAMPLONA, Spain — Four people were hospitalized -- including one man who was gored -- during the running of the bulls in Pamplona, Spain, Saturday.
The Associated Press reported that three men were trampled and one man was gored, according to city officials.
One injured man is a 20-year-old from Canada. According to a statement from the Navarra regional government, he has mild traumatic injuries.
The three other men are from Spain, including a 38-year-old who was gored. A 40-year-old, according to The AP, has traumatic injuries.
BBC reported that, according to the Pamplona government, hundreds of people are injured on average during the yearly festival. Most injuries do not require medical attention as they are caused by grazes and falls.
Most participants in the run are men. Women have been allowed to participate since 1974.
According to records established since 1910, at least 16 people have died during the runs. The most who died in a run were two, each in the 1947 and 1980 runs. The last death in the run was in 2009.
Published: Friday, July 06, 2018 @ 10:27 AM
— There’s nothing like seeing a professional athlete trying to draw a penalty and right now, Brazil’s Neymar may just have become the king of taking a dive.
Neymar has spent nearly a quarter of an hour flopping on the field during games. The Guardian reported it was 13 minutes and 50 seconds of game time lost to Neymar’s antics. And it is difficult not to notice his performance.
He dropped to the ground at least 43 times in four matches, according to The Wall Street Journal.
If you’re not familiar with his “injuries,” watch the video below of Neymar rolling on the field from one of Brazil’s wins.
It happens so often, he has now become the butt of jokes online.
But chain restaurants aren’t the only ones working on their Neymar drop and roll. A Swiss youth soccer team is practicing their Neymar pratfalls.