What’s the holdup on the Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers in Beavercreek?

Published: Friday, August 11, 2017 @ 6:00 AM

The competition among chicken restaurants is getting hotter across the Miami Valley

It’s been months since plans for a new Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers restaurant were submitted to the city of Beavercreek.

The early buzz was nothing but positive. City council approved the preliminary plans. In February, a spokeswoman for the restaurant’s franchise owners suggested the Beavercreek location could open as early as May. But as of mid-August, the restaurant had yet to break ground. 

RELATED: Opening day today for the Dayton area’s 1st Raising Cane’s restaurant

The franchise owner of Raising Cane’s Ohio restaurants — RCO Limited, which opened its first Dayton-area location in June on Ohio 725 in Washington Twp. — declined to answer questions about the project. But Beavercreek officials say they believe the restaurant will be built.

8 places to grab some amazing fried chicken in Dayton

Here’s what has happened so far:

Raising Cane’s submitted plans to the city of Beavercreek in November 2016 that called for a 3,576-square-foot restaurant to be built on a vacant tract adjacent to a Speedway on Kemp Road just east of North Fairfield Road.

Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers has two restaurants in the works in the Dayton area, in Washington Twp. and in Beavercreek. SUBMITTED(Staff Writer)

Those preliminary plans were approved by Beavercreek City Council. At the time, Beavercreek Planning Director Jeffrey M. McGrath cautioned that, “Nothing will be finalized until the lot is created for the restaurant and permits have been issued.”

RELATED: YOU can taste the fried chicken Thrillist just named ‘Best in U.S.’ right here in Dayton

The project has slowed to a crawl primarily because the design of an access street to the restaurant is still being worked out by the owners of the property, McGrath said. The proposed street will have access points at both Kemp Road and North Fairfield Road, according to Beavercreek city records.

The delay has sabotaged the original timetable, but there’s no evidence that Raising Cane’s has given up.

“Every indication at this point is that they intend to move forward” with the project, McGrath said, after the details of the access road are resolved.

CHICKEN WARS: Dayton-area competition intensifies with new-restaurant openings

RCO Limited spokeswoman Andria Morgan told this news organization earlier this week, “”Unfortunately, at this time, we have no comment regarding that property.”

Morgan said diners have warmly welcomed the first Dayton-area Raising Cane’s, which opened June 28 at 1136 Miamisburg-Centerville Road.

“Raising Cane’s has been received well by Dayton and the surrounding communities,” Morgan said. “We look forward to partnering with the many schools and organization in early 2018 after we settle in.”

Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers’ plans for a new restaurant near the North Fairfield Road/Kemp Road intersection in Beavercreek have been approved by Beavercreek’s city council. FILE(Staff Writer)

Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers confirms it’s coming to Dayton

Baton Rouge, Louisiana-based Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers operates multiple restaurants in the Columbus and Cincinnati areas, and opened a restaurant in Fairfield in October 2016.

Raising Cane’s opens new location in Fairfield

Morgan has said RCO Limited has found a very loyal customer base as it has opened stores in southern Ohio. In 2004, the franchisee opened the first Raising Cane’s outside of Louisiana in Columbus, Ohio.

The chain prides itself on a limited menu and a simple concept, focused on chicken fingers, made “fresh, never frozen,” marinated for 24 hours, then hand-battered and cooked to order. Also featured on the menu are crinkle-cut fries, cole slaw, Texas Toast and sauces that are made in-house every day.

Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers’ plans for a new restaurant near the North Fairfield Road/Kemp Road intersection in Beavercreek have been approved by Beavercreek’s city council. SUBMITTED(Staff Writer)

Trending - Most Read Stories

2 injured in collision involving semi on U.S. 127 in Darke County, near Ansonia

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 9:02 PM
Updated: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 10:26 PM

Crash at U.S. 127 and Ohio 242 in Darke County on Wednesday, May 23, 2018.

UPDATE @ 10:15 p.m.: U.S. 127 North and South will remain closed as deputies investigate the collision involving a semitrailer and a passenger that sent two people in the car to a hospital. 

Both victims were in the car, which appears to have failed to yield and pulled into the path of the semitrailer at the intersection of Reed Road and state Route 242, according to the preliminary Darke County Sheriff's investigation. 

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: FBI raids home of ex-Ohio House Speaker

The semi hit the gas tank section of the car and it spun to a stop in the roadway. The driver of the semi was not injured. 

Both victims had to be extricated and were loaded onto one CareFlight helicopter for the trip to a hospital. Their injuries were said to be serious, but not life-threatening, according to a sheriff's sergeant on scene.

INITIAL REPORT

As many as two people have been taken to a hospital from a collision near Ansonia involving a passenger vehicle and a semitrailer. 

The conditions of the victims is not known, but an initial report indicated that one or two of the victims may have been trapped in the wreckage for a time. 

Darke County sheriff's deputies, medic units and two CareFlight helicopters were dispatched sometime after 8 p.m. to the accident reported at U.S. 127 and state Route 242. 

The scene is just west of Versailles, east of Ansonia. 

Traffic in the area is affected until further notice. 

We will update this developing report. Stay with whio.com for breaking news. 

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Georgia restaurant owner accused of assaulting employee over wrong order

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 11:01 PM

Attorneys Kayla Bumpus (left) and Muwali Davis (right) speak about Ju’Nea Turner’s case during a news conference Wednesday. (RAISA HABERSHAM / RAISA.HABERSHAM@AJC.COM)
Attorneys Kayla Bumpus (left) and Muwali Davis (right) speak about Ju’Nea Turner’s case during a news conference Wednesday. (RAISA HABERSHAM / RAISA.HABERSHAM@AJC.COM)

Attorneys for a former Gwinnett County, Georgia, restaurant employee said their client was fired after a video posted on Facebook appeared to show the owner assaulting her after a customer complained about an incorrect order.

>> Read more trending news 

At a news conference Wednesday afternoon, Ju’Nea Turner said she suffered bruises on her breast during the alleged assault. which was captured by a customer’s cellphone.

Turner and her attorneys, Muwali Davis and Kayla Bumpus, have now filed a warrant application, allowing her to seek assault and battery charges against the owner, listed on the restaurant’s website as Mr. Lee.

A hearing is scheduled for June 13. 

The viral video, which has been online since the incident occurred on Friday, shows the former Doo’s Seafood and Deli employee yelling at Lee after he accused her of incorrectly filling an order. The owner said the customer’s refund would be taken out of her paycheck, Turner’s attorneys allege. The customer claimed in the video that Lee’s wife placed the incorrect order. 

“I was just trying to make sure I wasn’t financially punished for someone else’s mistakes,” Turner said at the news conference. 

WARNING: Video contains explicit language

Seconds into the cellphone video, the owner appears to knock food out of Turner’s hand and shove her in front of the complaining customer, the employees and the other customers inside the Snellville business.

The cellphone camera was not pointed at the employee or the owner when the physical contact occurred. 

Surveillance footage from a different angle shows that the owner grabbed the food tray from Turner and then pushed against her left shoulder.

“What happened to her was something that no one should have to endure, particularly a woman and a mother who just came to work, and that was her only intent,” Davis said at the news conference. 

Turner said she refrained from retaliating since she has a 2-year-old and a 7-year-old to feed. 

“It’s unfortunate on the day of the incident that the offender was not arrested immediately,” Davis said. “And I’m certain that, if the roles were reversed, that she would have been taken out in handcuffs. For us, this is a matter of both class and race.” 

Gwinnett County police responded to the scene but said the “parties involved in the dispute did not wish to pursue the case further,” Cpl. Wilbert Rundles told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Rumbles said Lee did not suffer any injuries during the assault. 

“The officers explained to each party how to request a warrant hearing from a judge, which is a common resolution and procedure in this type of case, if they changed their minds on the case,” Rumbles said. “Both parties were accepting of the officers’ handling of the call and the call was closed.” 

Davis said this was the first physical incident between his client and Lee, but said Turner has witnessed Lee assaulting other employees. Davis has encouraged other witnesses to come forward concerning Friday’s incident and any other alleged assaults. 

“We believe that this is a pattern and our intention is to stop that pattern,” he said. 

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution tried to contact Lee for comment Wednesday afternoon, but was unsuccessful.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Gravesites overrun for Civil War veterans at Miami County cemetery

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 10:48 PM

Jackson Cemetery just outside Piqua is home to Civil War veterans and many African-Americans who were born slaves but died free.

The cemetery has been a historical landmark for the last 10 years.

However, of concern to Piqua resident Della Shaffer is that some of these historical gravesites are overrun by brush.

PHOTOS: Monday was the four-year anniversary of the ‘1000-year flood’ that shut down two interstates

She knows of nine veterans buried here and has seen at least five headstones in the woods.

“I think it’s very disrespectful and it’s kind of sad to think this is their final resting place after giving service to our country,” Shaffer said.

“We are Americans. These are veterans of the Civil War. These are men that served under Abraham Lincoln.

>> Tick outbreaks appear to be on the rise, veterinarian says

“I would love to have this cleared up by Memorial Day out of respect for them. But sometimes things take time,” she said.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Stay away from dangerous sunscreen pills, FDA warns

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 10:53 PM

The FDA issued a warning about companies marketing dietary supplements as sunscreens. ‘There’s no pill or capsule that can replace your sunscreen,’ the agency said in a statement.
Morne de Klerk/Getty Images
The FDA issued a warning about companies marketing dietary supplements as sunscreens. ‘There’s no pill or capsule that can replace your sunscreen,’ the agency said in a statement.(Morne de Klerk/Getty Images)

The Food and Drug Administration issued warnings Tuesday addressing dietary supplements that claim to protect the public from sun damage.

>> Read more trending news 

“There’s no pill or capsule that can replace your sunscreen,” the agency wrote. “We’ve found products purporting to provide protection from the sun that aren’t delivering the advertised benefits. Instead they’re misleading consumers, and putting people at risk.”

The warning letters were aimed at four companies and accused them of “illegally marketing pills and capsules labeled as dietary supplements that make unproven drug claims about protecting consumers from the harms that come from sun exposure without meeting the FDA’s standards for safety and effectiveness.”

>> Related: Mom warns other parents after baby burned by sunscreen 

The FDA specifically called out the following products for putting people at risk:

The agency said the companies need to reverse any federal violations associated with their products.

A representative with Napa Valley Bioscience told Time in a statement that their product “is made with ingredients that published clinical studies show protect skin from damage,” and is useful for supplemental protection and for users with sensitive skin.

>> Related: How to pick the right sunscreen — and which ones to avoid 

“However, to be abundantly clear: the sun is dangerous, and UV rays damage your skin. We don’t market Sunsafe Rx as a sunscreen, and we certainly don’t tell consumers that they don’t need any other protection from the sun or that they don’t also need to use a topical sunscreen,” the company said. “Everyone should exercise caution when exposed to the sun.”

Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States, according to the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And one in five Americans are at risk of developing the condition in their lifetime.

>> Related: 6 mistakes people commonly make when applying sunscreen 

The FDA is also researching the effectiveness of current sunscreens on the market as some research has purported some ingredients popular in conventional sunscreens may seep through the skin, though human harm due to this hasn’t been concluded.

The 14 Most Dangerous Sunscreens For Kids, According To Experts

Trending - Most Read Stories