USA Gymnastics doctor sentenced to 60-year prison term

Published: Friday, December 08, 2017 @ 12:33 AM

Courtroom.
Mark Wilson/Getty Images
Courtroom.(Mark Wilson/Getty Images)

A judge sentenced a Michigan sports doctor to 60 years in federal prison for child pornography crimes, one of three criminal cases against a man who also has admitted to assaulting female gymnasts.

>> Read more trending news

Larry Nassar worked at Michigan State University and USA Gymnastics, which trains Olympians. Federal Judge Janet Neff followed the government’s recommended sentence Thursday. The Michigan sports doctor admitted he molested gymnasts and kept a staggering collection of child pornography — investigators found more than 37,000 images of child porn on Nassar’s electronic devices in 2016. Separately, he has pleaded guilty to molesting gymnasts with his hands in the Lansing, Michigan, area under the guise of treatment.

Neff said Nassar, 54, “should never again have access to children.”

In January, he will be sentenced for the cases related to his molestation of former gymnasts in his care.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Hundreds of Pittsburgh protesters marching over death of Antwon Rose shut down traffic for miles

Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 11:10 PM
Updated: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 1:16 AM

Officer Allegedly Kills Unarmed Teen After Being Sworn In Hours Before

Hundreds of marchers took to the streets of Pittsburgh Thursday night, protesting the fatal police shooting of a teenager during a traffic stop Tuesday night.

>> Read more trending news 

Traffic was brought to a standstill as protesters spilled onto Pittsburgh’s Parkway East.

The protest was described by WPXI reporters on the scene as “tense,” but “peaceful so far.”

Marchers, holding signs and cell phones, sat down in the street, blocking traffic and causing a back up for miles. 

Protestors were told to voluntarily disperse by 1 a.m. Friday. Pennsylvania State Police were preparing to open up the highway, according to state police major commander William Teper. 

Residents are angry and upset over the fatal police shooting of unarmed 17-year-old Antwon Rose.

Allegheny County police officials said that Rose was a passenger in a vehicle stopped in East Pittsburgh around 8:20 p.m. Tuesday because it fit the description of a car seen fleeing the area of a shooting in the nearby borough of North Braddock. As an officer handcuffed the driver of the car, which investigators said had bullet damage to the back window, Rose and a second passenger got out of the car and ran. 

Footage of the shooting posted on Facebook Tuesday shows the scene from a distance. The 18-second video shows Rose and the other passenger, who has not been found by police, get out of the car and make a break for the yard between two nearby houses.

Three shots are heard and one of the passengers appears to fall into the grass.

Rose, who police officials said was struck three times, was taken to McKeesport Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. 

The Allegheny County medical examiner on Thursday ruled the teen’s death a homicide. 

The East Pittsburgh police officer who shot and killed Rose  was sworn in just hours before the fatal encounter.

Mayor Louis Payne told WPXI Wednesday that the unidentified officer who killed Rose previously spent seven years working in other departments, but confirmed that he was working his first shift following his official swearing in with the East Pittsburgh Police Department.

Pictured is the spot on East Pittsburgh's Grandview Avenue where unarmed teen Antwon Rose was shot and killed by a police officer Tuesday, June 19, 2018. Witnesses said Rose, 17, was shot in the back as he ran from a traffic stop.(Keith Srakocic/via AP)

Trending - Most Read Stories

Baby abandoned in car as man flees from traffic stop

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 12:00 AM

A 7-month-old child was found in the backseat of a vehicle after a man fled from a traffic stop, according to police
A 7-month-old child was found in the backseat of a vehicle after a man fled from a traffic stop, according to police

Police are continuing to investigate an incident of a baby abandoned in a vehicle after a traffic stop.

Officers attempted to conduct a traffic stop June 13 on Heaton Street when the male driver pulled into a private lot and then jumped out of the vehicle and ran, according to a police report.

A 7-month-old child was found in the backseat of the vehicle, police said.

The driver was identified by police, and charges are in the process of being signed, according to Hamilton Police Sgt. Brian Robinson.

Butler County Children Services took charge of the baby, according to the report.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Dashboard cookie competition heats up in Arizona

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 1:10 AM

Cookie dough will be the focus Friday morning in Arizona.
Alexandra Beier/Getty Images
Cookie dough will be the focus Friday morning in Arizona.(Alexandra Beier/Getty Images)

Bikers will become bakers Friday in one of the hottest cities in America, The Arizona Republic reported.

>> Read more trending news

Competitors will meet in Lake Havasu City for the Almost 9th Annual Dashboard Cookie Competition. The baking contest, in which competitors roll the dough, place it on cookie sheets and set it on dashboards, is called “Almost 9th” because the cookies were eaten before they could be judged during the inaugural event in 2009, according to the contest’s website.

The event coincides with the arrival of cyclists raising money for the Journey of Hope, an annual cross-country bicycle-trek fundraiser for people with disabilities, the Republic reported.

Officials give competitors tubes of chocolate chip cookie dough at 7:15 a.m. and reveal a secret theme, the Republic reported. Last year’s theme was national monuments; the five teams of cyclists have 15 minutes to create cookies that match the theme, the newspaper reported.

The baking sheets must be on the dashboards of cars that are parked on a shade-free road near the London Bridge.

Judging takes place at 11:30 a.m. Friday’s forecast calls for temperatures as high as 113 degrees, the Republic reported.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Alert canceled: Missing endangered Butler County man found safe

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 11:08 PM
Updated: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 12:05 AM

UPDATE @ 12:05 a.m. (June 21):

A missing endangered alert has been canceled after a 78-year-old Fairfield man was found safe, according to a release from the Ohio Attorney General’s Office.

FIRST REPORT

A Missing Endangered Adult Alert has been issued for a 78-year-old Butler County man.

John Scott was last seen driving from his Fairfield residence around 3:30 p.m. in his 1995 green Chevrolet S10, Ohio plate number AG28BG.

Scott stands 5 feet 3 inches, weighs 110 pounds and has gray hair and blue eyes. He was last seen wearing blue jeans and a large beige brim hat.

Police say he suffers from diabetes and may be in need of medical attention. 

Anyone with information on Scott’s whereabouts is urged to call 911 or the Ohio Attorney General Missing Persons Unit at 1-866-693-9171. 

Trending - Most Read Stories