log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 @ 11:50 AM
UPDATE @ 1:56 P.M.
Both the 12-year-old boy and 12-year-old girl who are Wilson Middle School students in Hamilton involved in this incident were arrested and charged, Hamilton police said. The female student sent the material to the male student, and the male student sent it to others, police said.
“They were arrested and charged for illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material, which is a felony,” said Hamilton police Sgt. Brian Robinson.
Robinson compared the charges to possessing or distributing child pornography.
“There is a big difference between this and sexting,” he said.
MORE POPULAR STORIES
Hamilton police arrested a 12-year-old juvenile male who is a student at Wilson Middle School after it was discovered the student was engaged in communicating nudity-oriented material last week.
According to police reports, the student had obtained pictures and a video of a juvenile female performing sex acts on herself. The male student then sent the material to other students via his cell phone.
Police say the 12-year-old student who sent the images was arrested and charged with illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material.
School officials said parents were not notified about the incident but that disciplinary action per school regulations would be taken.
Published: Saturday, May 26, 2018 @ 10:44 PM
Updated: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 9:49 AM
DAYTON — Nearly 20 motorists pulled over Saturday night in Dayton after their vehicles were struck by rocks while they were traveling west on U.S. 35.
Dayton police arrested one male juvenile at the scene, who admitted throwing rocks according to a Dayton police report. The boy was taken to the Juvenile Justice Center, where he was booked on several counts of vandalism. He said he had an accomplice, another male juvenile, but it was not clear whether that youth was arrested as well.
Thomas Acco of Jefferson Twp. and his girlfriend had just dropped off their children and were headed home when a rock came through the front of the windshield.
“I was in shock that someone would play with someone’s life like this,” he said.
“Glass just flew everywhere. We had a little swerve contest with the car in front of us — their windshield got hit also. We just pulled to the side and it was like 15, 20 cars lined up to the side all with damage.”
Dayton police Lt. Chris Malson said there are no suspects, but plenty of victims.
“We got a report of multiple cars, approximately 18 of them, that were hit with rocks as they were driving westbound on U.S. 35 near Woodman (Drive),” he said. “All the calls came within about five minutes of each other.
The Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center said they received starting at 10 p.m. The last one received was at 10:29 p.m.
One of the victims was Susan Myers of Lima who was headed back home with her husband, riding in the front passenger seat.
“We heard a loud bang and looked up and saw the damage on the windshield,” she said. “We immediately pulled over and noticed that there were several cars ahead of us also pulled over with their hazard lights on.”
There are no reports of injuries, but Myers said they were shaken and now have to deal with broken glass inside the car and their insurance company.
Tony Gerardi of Xenia said he was driving home from visiting friends in Dayton when his car was struck.
“I hope police get them. I’m safe, thank God,” said Gerardi, “I don’t know why someone would do something like that.”
Earlier Saturday, around 4:45 p.m., another two motorists, one from Illinois and one from Dayton, reported their windshields were struck by rocks. At least one of the windshields shattered just when they went under a bridge. They told police the rocks appeared to come from the north side of the highway but were not able to see the culprits. Police officers found a pile of rocks laying on the side of the highway before the South Smithville Road exit, according to a Dayton police report.
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 4:32 PM
— Chipotle is moving about 150 positions to Ohio as part of a corporate reshuffling.
The fast casual burrito chain will move most of its corporate functions to a new office in California, but will also be moving support jobs to an existing office in Columbus.
Chipotle stated in a press release that the move will mean growing its current Columbus workforce from 100 to more than 250 employees.
Consolidating the jobs to Columbus will provide “access to high-quality talent and offers cost advantages,” the company stated.
“Through technology and the consolidation of talent, we’ll create a world class Shared Services Center with increased productivity and quality services supporting our employees and our restaurants,” stated Chipotle chief finance officer Jack Hartung.
Over the next six months, Chipotle will transition its Denver and New York office functions to Newport Beach and Columbus. After the jobs are moved to Newport Beach, Calif., and Columbus, the company will close its Denver and New York City offices.
Chipotle will share more details on its plans on an investor call June 27.
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 7:12 AM
DAYTON — Robert Martin Jr., 30, who gained national attention in 2005 for playing football at Colonel White High School in Dayton, despite being born without legs, was booked into Montgomery County Jail Sunday morning for failing to comply with officers.
According to a Dayton police report, Martin was driving one of the eight to 10 ATVs traveling southbound on N. Main Street around 12 a.m.
Several of the ATVs then fled in different directions from police moments later in the area of E. Third St and Main, the report said.
An officer followed Martin, who was traveling at a high rate of speed, driving a blue Kawasaki ATV to the railroad tracks in the 300 block of N. Paul Laurence Dunbar St.
According to the report, Martin was found on the ground crawling toward nearby bushes while the ATV was on its side.
When asked his name, Martin said, “It’s me, Bobby.”
Martin was issued traffic citations and faces charges in Clark Co. for an outstanding OVI warrant.
Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 11:14 AM
Updated: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 4:22 PM
— Pro-gun rights lawmakers moved last week toward making Ohio a “stand your ground” state.
House Bill 228 passed out of a House committee, even though Gov. John Kasich has threatened to veto the measure. Still, the bill has substantial support from House members with 38 co-sponsors.
If and when it goes to the House floor, it will mark the first time a stand your ground measure gets a full vote in the Ohio General Assembly.
The bill would remove the legal “duty to retreat” when faced with threats or perceived threats in public places. In self-defense cases, the burden of proof would shift to prosecutors instead of defendants — a provision opposed by the Ohio Prosecuting Attorneys Association and supported by the Ohio Public Defender.
If it becomes law, it would:
* No longer require places like schools, airports, public buildings to post gun-free zone signs.
* Make the prosecution in court cases responsible for the burden of proof in self-defense cases.
* Remove the requirement for someone to try leave a threatening situation before using lethal force in self defense.
The bill has backing from pro-gun rights groups such as Ohio Gun Owners and Buckeye Firearms Association but it is opposed by the ACLU of Ohio, League of Women Voters of Ohio, Moms Demand Action, Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence and March for Our Lives.
OTHER NEWS ON OHIO GUN LAWS