breaking news


Trump says he believes Putin’s denials over election meddling

Published: Saturday, November 11, 2017 @ 2:21 AM
Updated: Saturday, November 11, 2017 @ 8:49 AM

President Donald Trump and Russia's President Vladimir Putin shake hands during a photo ceremony at the 2017 Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit.
Mikhail Klimentyev
President Donald Trump and Russia's President Vladimir Putin shake hands during a photo ceremony at the 2017 Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit.(Mikhail Klimentyev)

President Donald Trump said he is done confronting Vladimir Putin over accusations that Russia meddled in the 2016 presidential election and said he  took the Russian leader at his word when he said that his country did not seek to interfere,  CNN reported.

>> Read more trending news

"He said he didn't meddle. He said he didn't meddle. I asked him again. You can only ask so many times," Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One as he flew from Da Nang to Hanoi in Vietnam. "Every time he sees me, he says, 'I didn't do that.’ And I believe, I really believe, that when he tells me that, he means it."

The two leaders chatted Saturday as they walked together during the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit, Reuters reported.

Although White House officials said no formal meeting between the two leaders was planned, the two men shook hands at a dinner Friday evening and again at the start of Saturday’s main APEC meeting.

Television cameras caught the two leaders talking as they headed toward the area designated for a group photograph, Reuters reported.

Putin said he had a normal dialogue with Trump and described  the President as civil, well-educated, and comfortable to deal with.

Trump is in Vietnam on the fourth leg of a 12-day tour of Asia.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Two dead after shooting outside of club in Dayton 

Published: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 6:14 AM

Crews were dispatched around 3:40 a.m. to 1824 Lakeview Ave. at the Blue Note Jazz Club on a report of a shooting, according to Sgt. Schloss of the Dayton Police Department.

Two people have died after a shooting in Dayton Saturday.

Crews were dispatched around 3:40 a.m. to 1824 Lakeview Ave. at the Blue Note Jazz Club on a report of a shooting, according to Sgt. Schloss of the Dayton Police Department.

>>Springfield man enters plea in shooting death of pregnant girlfriend

A 27-year-old male died at the scene and a female was taken to Miami Valley Hospital where she died, Schloss said.

Police found the male and female shot in a blue Ford pickup truck outside of the club, Schloss said.

Further information about the victims was not known.

Police are not releasing if they have any suspects at this time

If you have any information, you are asked to call Crime Stoppers at 333-STOP.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Prince Charles will succeed Queen Elizabeth as head of the Commonwealth

Published: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 5:32 AM

Queen Elizabeth II and her son, Prince Charles, attended the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey last month.
WPA Pool/Getty Images
Queen Elizabeth II and her son, Prince Charles, attended the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey last month.(WPA Pool/Getty Images)

It’s official: Prince Charles will succeed Queen Elizabeth as head of the Commonwealth, the BBC reported.

>> Read more trending news

The Queen had said it was her “sincere wish” that the Prince of Wales succeed her when she dies. Leaders of the Commonwealth discussed the issue before making their decision, the BBC reported.

Unlike the British crown, the lead role in the Commonwealth is non-hereditary, the BBC reported.

At a news conference, British Prime Minister Theresa May praised the Queen for her "vision and duty" in growing the Commonwealth from eight members to 53. She said it was "fitting" Prince Charles would succeed her due to his "proud support" of the Commonwealth "for more than four decades."

The role is largely symbolic and carries no maximum fixed term, the BBC reported.

The Queen turned 92 on Saturday. Charles, her oldest child, is 69.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police: Motorist drives into house, flees scene in Miami County

Published: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 4:07 AM

Troy police are looking for a suspect who drove into the side of a house in Troy Saturday.

>>Miami County judge denies bail reduction for Trotwood man in manslaughter case

Crews were dispatched to 400 block of East Staunton Road around 2:15 a.m. on reports of a vehicle into a structure.

The motorist didn’t stay at the scene and drove away after causing significant damage to the house, according to Sgt. Mumford of the Troy Police Department.

The vehicle was found a couple blocks away from the house but possible suspects were not found, Mumford said.

Residents were home at the time but no one was injured, according to Mumford. 

Mumford said the vehicle had significant damage to it.

It’s not known what caused the accident.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

'Sorry,' says man, 19, who opened fire at Florida high school

Published: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 3:44 AM

Sky Bouche was arrested on the campus of Forest High School in Ocala on Friday.
WFTV.com
Sky Bouche was arrested on the campus of Forest High School in Ocala on Friday.(WFTV.com)

The 19-year-old gunman who caused panic and fear at a Florida high school when he opened fire Friday morning said he was “sorry.”

>> Read more trending news

The gunman, identified as Sky Bouche, brought a shotgun onto campus at Forest High School in Ocala and shot a 17-year-old student in the ankle, deputies said. 

The shooting happened on the day planned for a national classroom walkout to protest gun violence.

Bouche was taken into custody by school resource officer Jim Long within three minutes of the gunfire. 

“He did not hesitate. He went right in,” Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods said. 

Bouche told a WFTV reporter he didn't see anyone and shot through a door at the school.

"Anything you want to say to (the victim) or his family?” Bouche was asked.

"Sorry," Bouche said. "Doesn't make it better anyway."

He would not answer any questions about why he allegedly shot the student.

Other students were around when the gunfire broke out, but deputies did not say where in the building the shooting happened. 

“Basically, in three minutes, (Long) engaged the shooter and took him into custody,” Woods said. “(Bouche) was not tackled. He didn’t offer any resistance.” 

Woods said Long had heard a "large, loud, banging sound" and immediately responded. Long "recognized what we had at that time," he said.

Bouche was not injured.

Woods could not say if the alleged shooter was a former student or whether Bouche and the victim knew each other. 

It’s also unclear how Bouche managed to get on the campus with a gun. 

The Sheriff's Office has not identified the student who was shot, but reported that the victim said, "I am so glad it was me and not one of my friends."

Students and teachers crouched under their desks and hid as officers went from room to room making sure everyone was OK. 

“We were just under our desks crying,” said a student, who was not identified. 

After the shooting, the school was placed on lockdown, so parents were not able to pick up their children. 

Parents were urged to stay away from the school, which is protocol during a lockdown.

“Well, you’re scared to death, of course. Your heart is beating 90 mph and, you know, you’re just scared for your child,” said a parent, who was not identified. “You don’t know what’s going on.” 

As deputies evacuated the classrooms, the more than 2,300 students were loaded onto buses and brought to the First Baptist Church of Ocala, where they reunited with frantic parents. 

“Just anxious, waiting for her to get on that bus at the school, to text me, ‘I’m here,’ and just waiting for her name to be called,” parent Ashley Shell said. 

Hundreds of anxious parents gathered on the front steps of the church. 

“I’m just glad she is safe. I’m just glad that no one else got hurt,” added parent Otto Brown. 

Woods said he was proud of how first responders and school officials handled the situation. 

“It was the school system, it was law enforcement and it was Fire Rescue that saved lives today,” he said. “Our children are alive because those three things were in place.” 

Long has been with the Marion County Sheriff’s Office for 25 years, and has spent 10 of those years as a resource officer at the school. 

Schools in the Marion County Public Schools District remained on Code Yellow for the rest of the day and Woods sent extra patrols to campuses throughout the county.

“Marion County does everything to protect their children," Woods said.

He also stressed that any school threats or hoax school threats will be punished to the fullest extent of the law. 

“This is not a joking matter. What happened down south almost came to Marion County,” Woods said.

Ocala police, the Sheriff's Office, the Florida Highway Patrol and the FBI were investigating. They divided into teams that cleared all buildings, vehicles and the parking lot. Once all students were off campus, authorities began conducting a more thorough search of the campus.

The Ocala shooting comes just over two months after a gunman killed 17 people and wounded 17 others at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. Nikolas Cruz, 19, faces the death penalty if he is convicted.

Trending - Most Read Stories