BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — Grimmway Farms is recalling six varieties of carrots sold nationwide because they may have been contaminated with salmonella.
“The health of our customers and the integrity of our products are our highest priorities, and we will continue to monitor and communicate as additional information is available,” Grimmway Farms President and CEO Jeff Huckaby said in a prepared statement, noting the voluntary recall was initiated as a result of a “routine, internal company test.”
To date, no illnesses linked to the recall have been confirmed, but the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that salmonella bacteria are responsible for roughly 1.35 million infections, 26,500 hospitalizations and 420 deaths in the United States each year.
Healthy individuals infected with salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain, but if the bacteria migrate to the bloodstream, more serious conditions such as endocarditis, arthritis and arterial infections can occur. Meanwhile, young children, the elderly and others with compromised immune systems can develop serious, and sometimes fatal, infections, the CDC stated.
According to the recall notice, all affected food manufacturers, food service distributors and retail customers have been notified, with “much of the product having been recaptured before being available for consumption.”
The following recalled products were shipped directly to retailers nationwide:
- Bunny Luv Organic Cut and Peeled Baby Carrots: 1-pound bags with UPC code 0 3338390205 0 and the “Best if used by” dates of Aug. 17 and Aug. 20, 2021.
- Bunny Luv Organic Premium Petite Carrots: 3-pound bags with UPC code 0 7878351301 7 and the “Best if used by” date of Aug. 15, 2021.
- Cal-Organic Organic Petite Carrots: 12-ounce bags with UPC code 0 7878390810 3 and the “Best if used by” date of Aug. 15, 2021.
- Grimmway Farms Shredded Carrots: 10-ounce bags with UPC code 0 7878350610 1 and the “Best if used by” date of Aug. 9, 2021.
- O Organics Organic Peeled Baby-Cut Carrots: 1-pound bags with UPC code 0 7989340850 7 and the “Best if used by” date of Aug. 15, 2021.
- O Organics Organic Baby Rainbow Carrots: 12-ounce bags with UPC code 0 7989398162 8 and the “Best if used by” dates of Aug. 13 and Aug. 14, 2021.
In addition to the retail-packed products listed above, the Bakersfield, California-based company also recalled certain shredded carrots and chopped (chunk) carrots that were sold to food manufacturers and food service distributors, the notice stated.
Consumers are advised not to consume the affected products and to discard or destroy the potentially contaminated carrots. Consumers with questions may contact the company by calling 1-800-301-3101 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday, or by visiting www.grimmway.com.
©2021 Cox Media Group