log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Saturday, September 23, 2017 @ 11:27 AM
Updated: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 @ 12:12 PM
A Norfolk & Southern train that struck and killed a 16-year-old pedestrian Friday night in Miamisburg hit the brakes quickly before striking the boy, according to one nearby resident.
“The train just came to a SCREECHING halt,” South Fourth Street resident Niki Arnold posted on Facebook. “It stopped quicker than I have ever seen it stop. I pray no one is hurt.”
Arnold noted “tons” of fire and EMS crews responded to the scene just after 7:40 p.m. on the railroad tracks near the 400 block of East Linden Avenue.
Authorities have not released the name of the victim - who was pronounced dead at the scene – pending notification of family.
The victim’s name may or may not be released today, according to the city. But police have said the death is not believed to be a suicide.
This news organization has requested copies of the police report and the 9-1-1 calls.
After the accident, several streets were blocked off the train did not move until about 12:30 a.m., Arnold said in a message this morning.
“When it occurred, my daughter and I were in the back yard painting. It is normal for us to hear trains and at first we didn’t think anything of it,” she said.
“Then there was a loud screeching noise from what I assumed was the conductor hitting the brakes,” Arnold added. “After that there were several loud clanks that were the cars running into each other because the train had stopped. Initially we thought the train had come off the tracks.”
Neighbors - including Arnold - came to the scene to offer support for friends and family of the victim.
“Our hearts and our prayers are with them and I don’t think any of us can truly say we understand what they’re feeling but that doesn’t mean that our hearts and our prayers won’t be with them,” said Glenda Mesta of Miamisburg.
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 3:03 PM
MIAMISBURG — A naked man was spotted this afternoon walking along Heincke Road.
Police were alerted around 2 p.m. to the report of the streaker by two 911 callers.
“I’m on Heincke Avenue in front of the post office in Miamisburg and there is a pedestrian walking totally naked up the sidewalk,” said one caller who said the man appeared to be in his 40s or 50s.
“We have on Heincke Street in Miamisburg just across from the Wendy’s, we have a butt-naked man walking down the sidewalk,” a second 911 caller said.
We are working to find out from Miamisburg police whether the suspect has been arrested and what charges he faces.
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 1:20 PM
— The federal government has admitted that it does not know the whereabouts of almost 1,500 immigrant children in its custody, according to news reports.
The Office of Refugee Resettlement took in some 40,000 immigrant children in 2017 and when the agency reached out to check on more than 7,000 of them between October and December of 2017, 1,475 were unaccounted for at the end of the year, CNN reported.
The news came as the Trump administration cracks down on undocumented immigrants, threatening to separate more children from their families if the families are caught entering the United States illegally, in a new policy move.
In testimony before Congress earlier this month, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Neilsen said the children of illegal immigrants are transferred to the Department of Health and Human Services within 48 hours after they are taken into custody, and DHHS officials then find sponsored homes for them, USA Today reported.
Nielsen said separations like this happen in the U.S. every day.
Top DHHS official Steven Wagner testified before a Congressional subcommittee last month during a hearing on the Office of Refugee Resettlement that the ORR was “was unable to determine with certainty the whereabouts of 1,475 children,” and that 28 more had run away, CNN reported.
“I understand that it has been HHS’ long-standing interpretation of the law that ORR is not legally responsible for the children after they are released from ORR care,” Wagner said.
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 10:05 AM
CHILLICOTHE, Ohio — A young dog found abandoned in a park in Ross County, Ohio, had the words “free” and “good home only” written on it in permanent marker, according to a post on social media.
“I usually try to contain myself with my work life and what I see every single day, but this just tops it off!” Brittany May with the Ross County Humane Society said in a post on Facebook.
Whoever did this has “reached a whole new level of LOW,” May wrote.
“How are you going to dump your dog, and write FREE all over it in permanent marker! I just don’t get it!” she said
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 2:28 PM
— Former President George H.W. Bush is back in the hospital, according to a family spokesman.
Bush was taken to Southern Maine Health Care Sunday “after experiencing low blood pressure and fatigue,” his spokesman Jim McGrath said on Twitter.
The former president is described as “awake and alert” and will probably remain hospitalized for a few days for observation, McGrath said.
President @GeorgeHWBush was taken to Southern Maine Health Care (@SMHCHealth) today after experiencing low blood pressure and fatigue. He will likely remain there for a few days for observation. The former president is awake and alert, and not in any discomfort.— Jim McGrath (@jgm41) May 27, 2018
Bush was most recently hospitalized in Houston on April 22, one day after the funeral and burial of his wife of 73 years, Barbara Bush.
During that hospital stay, he was diagnosed with an infection that had spread to his blood, doctors said at the time, but he recovered and eventually went home.
At the time he said he was looking forward to visiting the family’s compound in Kennebunkport, Maine.
Bush was out and about Saturday, marking the Memorial Day holiday, joining a group of veterans at American Legion Post 159 for a pancake breakfast in Kennebunkport.
“Delighted to join the veterans, including my dear friend Gen. Brent Scowcroft,” Bush tweeted.
Delighted to join the veterans, including my dear friend Gen. Brent Scowcroft, at the @AmericanLegion Post 159 monthly pancake breakfast in Kennebunkport today. This weekend we remember, and thank, all who have given their lives for our great country. pic.twitter.com/VQgfPmt5rw— George Bush (@GeorgeHWBush) May 26, 2018
Scowcroft was National Security Adviser during the presidencies of both Bush and Gerald Ford.
“This weekend we remember, and thank, all who have given their lives for our great country,” he said Saturday.
George Bush has a form of Parkinson's disease and uses a motorized scooter or wheelchair to get around.
He was the youngest naval aviator when he enlisted in the U.S. Naval Reserve in 1943, spurred by the attack on Pearl Harbor.
He flew 58 combat missions during World War II and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his bravery.
He had six children with Barbara Bush, and in 1989, he became the first sitting vice president to secure the presidency since 1837.