— Every year, dogs and cats flee with fear from the sound of fireworks.
Here are some tips to keep your furry friends calm and safe this Fourth of July:
- Keep them indoors, preferably in the quietest room in your house
- Background noise, such as soothing music or a TV, can provide a good distraction for your pet
- Some pets like being in a secure crate in a darkened room to help them stay calm
- Products such as a “ThunderShirt,” a wraparound vest, can relieve anxiety by applying gentle pressure similar to swaddling
- Make sure your pet is licensed and has an ID tag or microchip in case they escape
- If they get lost, check in person frequently at local shelters