log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, March 01, 2018 @ 5:22 PM
Dayton — Dayton police and the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office are investigating the mysterious deaths of five women within the last year. They died at a variety of unknown locations, but their bodies were all dumped in and around alleys along North Main Street in Dayton. So far, investigators have not found any evidence to connect the five cases, according to Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl.
"We continue to work leads. We still have people we want to locate and interview. So there's more work to be done but we're far from finished," Biehl said.
Although the women's bodies were found in different locations on different days, the cases do have some things in common. For starters, the victims are all female. Three of the women were shot to death. All five are believed to have been involved with drugs. Montgomery County Sheriff Phil Plummer believes the cases are linked to prostitution and human trafficking.
"Dayton has stepped up their efforts and my RANGE Task Force has been instructed to clean that up because that's Main Street. That is the main street of the city of Dayton and that should not be going on there," Plummer said.
The Task Force recently made two arrests in drug cases in the North Main area. Plummer expects more to come.
Neighbors like Lynn LaMance and Victoria McNeal are worried about the unsolved cases.
McNeal added, "It was just very sad and it made me really mad because I thought they were murdered."
For several years they have been trying to clean up the area, even walking the streets and alleys to monitor what is going on at vacant houses and report illegal activity and code violations to the city.
"When you look at the area, it looks as though no one cares," LaMance said.
Jordan Gonzalez said his wife discovered one of the women's bodies wrapped in a sheet in a vacant lot next to his home. He said his neighborhood is no longer safe for his wife and children. Gonzalez wants the city to send more police officers to patrol the area and drive out drugs and prostitution.
"People out here need protection. At the end of the day, that's what it's about," Gonzalez said.
Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 8:21 PM
Updated: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 2:14 AM
CINCINNATI — UPDATE June 23 @ 2:14 a.m.:
The Cincinnati Police Department has canceled the endangered missing adult alert for 67-year-old Cecil Harry.
FIRST REPORT June 22 @ 8:21 p.m.:
A 67-year-old Cincinnati man is the subject of an endangered missing adult alert.
Cecil Harry left his residence around 7:30 a.m. and failed to return. He is in need of medication and law enforcement is concerned for his safety, according to the alert.
Harry stands 6 feet, weighs 210 pounds and has gray hair and blue eyes.
He drives a red 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser with Ohio plates EF74BA.
Anyone who knows Harry’s whereabouts or who spots him is urged to call 911 or 1-866-693-9171.
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 2:09 AM
— Maine is famous for its lobsters, but yellow lobsters are a rare find.
One of those rare crustaceans was caught off the Maine Coast, the Maine Coast Fishermen's Association reported Wednesday.
The F/V Short Fuse, of Bremen, caught the lobster this week, WGME reported.
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 1:50 AM
DAYTON — The Greater Dayton RTA will provide transport to the Vectren Dayton Air Show this weekend.
Air conditioned buses will run an express shuttle service on a continuous loop from the U.S. Air Force Museum parking lot and Wright Stop Plaza directly to the air show's main gate.
The park-and-ride service will run Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Shuttles will leave from each location approximately every 10 minutes.
Cost for a round-trip ride is $3, children five and under are free. Cash is the only payment method accepted.
The regular fare structure applies from the downtown Wright Stop Plaza location.
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 1:35 AM
ATLANTA — Three filmmakers visiting Georgia lost more than $50,000 in equipment when their rental car was burglarized and robbed Thursday night, Atlanta police said.
According to an incident report obtained Friday by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the men were eating dinner at the time of the theft. A few hours after loading the equipment into the car, the men returned to find one of the back car windows smashed, police said.
The thieves stole the professional equipment as well as personal items belonging to each of the men, according to police.
Officers collected blood from the broken window and are still searching for a suspect.
The victims were in town to shoot photos of Atlanta for Tantra, a production company headquartered in Colorado.