breaking news

severe weather


The Greene evicts one of its own restaurants

Published: Thursday, February 01, 2018 @ 9:54 AM

Choe’s Asian Gourmet is subject of civil lawsuit and has “temporarily closed” sign on door.

The Greene Town Center is evicting one of its own restaurants and is attempting to return the eatery to its former owners. 

>>INSIDE LOOK: Choe’s Asian Gourmet restaurant

A lawsuit filed by The Greene’s owner seeks forcible entry into Choe’s Asian Gourmet restaurant at 4394 Juniper Way, which hasn’t served customers for several weeks and which has a sign taped to the door that says simply, “Temporarily Closed.”

>> RELATED: 4 things to know about the new Fuzzy’s Taco restaurant coming to The Greene

This notice to vacate, dated Nov. 13, 2017, was a part of the lawsuit filed against Choe’s Asian Gourmet at The Greene in Beavercreek.(Staff Writer)

>> 4 new restaurants that opened in Dayton last month

The lawsuit filed in Nov. 21 in Greene County Common Pleas Court claimed that the limited liability corporation that was operating Choe’s Asian Gourmet owed more than $49,000 in rent and utilities that had accumulated since July. A “notice to vacate” was delivered to the restaurant eight days earlier, notifying the restaurant operators that eviction proceedings could be filed unless the arrears were paid within three days. 

>> Alex Trebek says a little prayer after ‘Jeopardy!’ contestants bomb Dayton question

“It’s an unusual set of circumstances,” Steve Willshaw, general manager of The Greene, told this news outlet Wednesday afternoon. “We took the restaurant back so the former owners could take it back over. They will be doing some remodeling and changing the name. It’s a very, very good thing.”

>> 5 new restaurants opening in 2018 that you should know about

The entrance to Choe’s Asian Gourmet. MARK FISHER/STAFF(Staff Writer)

Greene County Common Pleas Judge Michael Buckwalter ruled in December that the restaurant’s operators had violated the lease agreement and awarded The Greene full access to the property. The action was taken after the restaurant’s operators failed to respond in a timely manner to the lawsuit.

However, Dayton attorney Eugene Robinson has now entered the case representing the restaurant’s operators, and two weeks ago, on Jan. 18, Robinson asked the judge for additional time to respond to the lawsuit on behalf of his clients. No decision on that request has been made.

>> RELATED: Locally owned retailers helping attract shoppers to The Greene

Robinson declined to comment on the case on Wednesday afternoon.

The Greene evicts one of its own restaurants

A woman who said her first name is Ann but who declined to give her last name — and who said she was the manager of the restaurant — said in a phone interview that business was slow in part because foot traffic is down in the restaurant’s section of The Greene. Choe’s is located on the eastern side of The Greene, near the Von Maur department store. She said she attempted to re-negotiate the terms of her lease but instead was ordered to vacate.

>> RELATED: 5 restaurants that have shut down at The Greene

Greene County Public Health records show that restaurant inspectors were at Choe’s several times in the second half of 2017 and reported multiple violations of food handling, storage and cleanliness guidelines. But health department officials said the problems had not escalated to the point where the restaurant was being threatened with shutdown. 

>> RELATED: McCormick & Schmick’s shuts down abruptly at The Greene

The Choe’s manager said some of the restaurant’s problems stemmed from a disgruntled former employee.

The health department has classified the restaurant as closed, health officials said. The lawsuit is still pending in Greene County Common Pleas Court.

Have you been wondering about that “temporarily closed” sign on its door? Share the news with your friends on Facebook:

Trending - Most Read Stories

Photos: Today is the four year anniversary of the ‘1000 year flood’ that shut down two interstates

Published: Monday, May 21, 2018 @ 11:58 AM

May 21, 2018 is the 4-year anniversary of the day when a flood shut down two major highways in Ohio.

May 21, 2014, a day some local motorists will never forget. Flooded interstates caused hundreds of drivers to be trapped in their cars on I-75 and I-70. Motorists were without food, water and restroom facilities for hours. 

Flooding on I-75 north bound, Mile Marker 71

Flood waters covered all lanes of I-70 near State Route 201 (Brandt Pike) in Huber Heights. Ohio Department of Transportation traffic cameras showed frustrated drivers began making u-turns and driving in the wrong direction on the interstate to exit and find another route. Other motorists could be seen exiting their cars and walking on the interstate. 

RELATED: See more trending stories on WHIO.com

Photo by Steven Ondreck I-70 May 21, 2014

Huber Heights Battalion Chief Keith Knisley said a swollen creek caused the flooding on the interstate. He said it was over a retaining wall that is over 4 feet high.

The situation was similar that day in Miami County on Interstate 75 between Tipp City and Piqua. High water and disabled vehicles made the interstate impassable in the north and southbound lanes near State Route 36 and Farrington where the Great Miami River runs near the interstate. Traffic was also at a standstill on both sides of I-75 just north of Tipp city.


Ohio Department of Transportation crews used snow plows to push water and debris out of the way to allow cars to move again on I-75.

In Clark County, at height of flooding, county Engineer Johnathan Burr said water was 2-1/2 feet deep across Ridgewood Road east.

"The rain just came down so fast and so hard, the roads were overwhelmed," Burr said.

So much rain fell in some locations that the storm was the equivalent of a 1,000-year flood, ODOT said in a report. 

“Another way to say it would be the probability of that amount of rain in that duration has the probability of happening, 0.1 percent chance in a year’s time.”

The highway agency based its analysis on records kept by the Miami Conservancy District and other weather trackers. Total rainfall in the area of flooding was approximately 4.5 inches in roughly a two-hour time period.

DOWNLOAD OUR FREE NEWS APPS FOR OUR LATEST BREAKING NEWS

Trending - Most Read Stories

Brother says nothing to forgive after man crashes into restaurant killing 2

Published: Monday, May 21, 2018 @ 6:04 PM

Man Accused of Intentionally Driving Through Restaurant, Killing 2

The brother of a man accused of driving his car into a North Carolina restaurant and killing two family members Sunday said there is nothing to forgive.

>> Read more trending news 

"I didn't need to forgive him. I never was angry at him, and I know what he did wasn't him," Monty Self said.

Police have charged Roger Self with first-degree murder after they say he intentionally drove his Jeep into the Surf and Turf Lodge in Bessemer City just after noon, killing two family members.

But Monty Self said the brother he loves didn't commit that deadly act. He said Roger Self is mentally ill, and the demons deep inside got the best of him and brought out the worst.

At a news conference Monday, the Self family's pastor also blamed the incident on severe mental illness. Austin Rammell, pastor at Venture Church, said "there is no way the man I've known for 16 years could do this."

Roger Self’s daughter, 26-year-old Katelyn Self, a Gaston County sheriff’s deputy, was killed when the Jeep crashed through the wall of the restaurant.

The other victim was identified as Amanda Self, Roger Self's daughter-in-law, who worked as an emergency room nurse at CaroMont Regional Medical Center.

Roger Self, in a mug shot, was booked into the Gaston County Jail after allegedly running his family down inside a restaurant in Bessemer City Sunday. Two family members were killed. His family is blaming mental illness.(Gaston County Sheriff's Office)

Other family members were also injured. Roger Self's wife Diane was badly hurt and is in critical condition. His son Josh Self - a Gaston County police officer - was also injured, along with Amanda Self’s 13-year-old daughter.

They are expected to recover.

>> Related: Man intentionally drove through restaurant, killed 2, including deputy daughter

Wait staff told WSOC-TV’s partners at the Gaston Gazette that Self took his family into the restaurant and had them seated. He then excused himself, went out to his vehicle and drove it at a high rate of speed into the area where they were sitting.

"It was like a battle zone in a movie," Monty Self said.

Self said during a jail visit he told his brother what happened.

"He was numb. He was numb. He kept saying this was crazy," Self said in describing his conversation with his brother.

>> Trending: Court orders man to pay $2M in child support in 'bizarre' case involving identity theft

He became concerned about the health of the people who survived the crash that he caused.

"He was distraught," Self said.

"Tragic, tragic loss of life,” Gaston County Sheriff Alan Cloninger said. “I'm asking people just to keep the family in your prayers, and the sheriff's office, because we're suffering right now."

Rammell said he saw the entire family in church Sunday morning, just a couple of hours before the horrific attack.

“I'm just trying to encourage them,” Rammell said. “This was not a conscious act by their father and they know that.”

Rammell said Roger Self has been dealing with mental illness, including anxiety, depression, and mental breakdowns, in recent months and has sought medical help.

>> Trending: Milwaukee teen beaten to death in 'senseless act of violence,' family says

“Family has been loving him through this,” Rammell said. “He's been taking precautions. He had all the guns removed from his house, so he was taking steps that were rational steps,” the family’s pastor said.

Rammell said he was set to officiate at Katelyn Self’s wedding to her fiance, Alex, in September.

"There's nobody in the world Roger loved more than those people and they know that,” Rammell said. “Even in the most chaotic, senseless, moment like this, they at least cling to the confidence that they know where Kate and Amanda are."

Rammell said that within hours of the tragedy, church members gathered at Venture Church for a vigil for the family.

Caleb Martin, a 14-year-old who buses tables at the restaurant, witnessed the car crash through the building.

"I walked over to my station and I heard a loud boom,” he said. “It went straight through. There's a doorway. There is a wall and he drove in another room."

>> Trending: Man charged in 1987 double murder found using Golden State Killer genealogy technique

Caleb was dazed by the carnage he saw. He said that, for a moment, he didn't know what to do but then he sprang into action.

"The one guy I could help in back, he was pretty hurt,” Martin said, “I helped paramedics move tables off this dude and I moved debris out of the way so they could get to him."

Officials said Roger Self is a private investigator who worked for the Gastonia Police Department years ago.

“He was a regular and we haven't seen him in a while, so when he came back, it was kind of sad,” Martin said.

Area law enforcement agencies offer condolences

Law enforcement agencies from across the area expressed their condolences on social media.

Katelyn Self was a corporal at the Gaston County Sheriff’s Department. "Thoughts and prayers for the Gaston County Sheriff's Office and Deputy Self's family and friends."

The Huntersville Police Department posted on Twitter, “Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Gaston County Sheriff's Office and the family and friends of Corporal Katelyn Self. Corporal Self was senselessly killed today while off duty."

Trending - Most Read Stories

Stray bullets that killed woman also struck neighbor’s home, friend says

Published: Monday, May 21, 2018 @ 3:43 PM

A woman who lives across the street from the 62-year-old victim of a drive-by shooting said Monday that her home was struck by bullets that may have also killed Sherrell Wheatley on Saturday.

Kenya Schumpert said she’d just left her Superior Avenue home to run an errand when she received a call to return home quickly.

Related: Dayton woman killed by stray bullet was quadriplegic son’s caregiver

She arrived home and found bullet holes in her upstairs window and walls of several rooms in her home.

“I’m like wow, it was a powerful gun to get holes this big in your house,” Schumpert said. “If we had been going up and down the stairs, we would be gone too.”

Schumpert said neighbors told her that they heard between 12 and 15 shots, so many some kids thought it was fireworks.

Dayton man found with gunshot wound has died, officials say

She says when she realized her friend Wheatley had been killed by one of the bullets fired in the drive-by attack, she couldn’t believe it.

“My feelings was hurt so bad when I found out about that because she didn’t have a chance to duck, just trying to get home when this happened.”

Suspect’s wig may connect 2 area bank robberies, police say 

Schumpert and others in the neighborhood say Wheatley had just finished feeding a friend’s dogs and was walking back about a half block to her own home.

“This is sad right now, she’s going to be missed dearly,” a neighbor said. 

Dayton police say they are looking for a silver Ford Taurus or similar car, reported leaving the area after the fatal gunfire.

They’re asking anyone with information to call them at (937) 333-COPS.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Student brings loaded gun to Moraine school, police say

Published: Monday, May 21, 2018 @ 12:20 PM
Updated: Monday, May 21, 2018 @ 5:53 PM

A loaded handgun was recovered from a 12-year-old male student at the Montgomery County Learning Center in Moraine Monday morning.

UPDATE@5:54 p.m.

All students at the Education Service Center have physical or behavioral disabilities, said Frank DePalma, superintendent for the Educational Service Center. The Moraine school serves sixth grades through 22-year-olds, he said. 

Teachers at the school became aware of the gun Monday morning when they heard students talking about it as they got off the bus, DePalma said. Teachers immediately confiscated the student’s backpack, where the gun was, so it was never taken into the building, the superintendent said. 

>>TRENDING: Kettering teen’s murder trial delayed

The state does not allow the school to expel students. The most they can do is suspend them for several days, DePalma said. School officials are waiting for the results of the police investigation before discipline the student for bringing the gun to school, he said. 

 “There is no good motive to bring a gun to a school,” DePalma said, noting that he’s pleased that the school’s safety protocol worked. 

UPDATE @ 5:23 p.m.

The Superintendent for the Education Service Center in Moraine said the school works with students with physical or behaviorial disabilities from grade 6 through students age 22.

>>TRENDING: Live Doppler 7 Radar

Frank DePalma said this morning students were getting off the bus when teachers heard them talking about a gun. The student’s backpack was confiscated and the gun was never brough in to the building.

DePalma said the school is waiting for the police investigation to determine discipline for the student with the gun.

The state does not allow ECS to expel students, only to suspend students for several days.

DePalma is pleased the school’s safety protocol worked Monday morning.

FIRST REPORT

A loaded handgun was recovered from a 12-year-old male student at the Montgomery County Learning Center in Moraine this morning, according to Moraine police.

The incident was reported around 8 a.m. and no injuries were reported, police said.

Officers responded to the school on Kettering Boulevard after becoming aware of the incident, Sgt. Jon Spencer with the Moraine Police said.

LOCAL: Dayton to activate 5 red-light cameras today for 30-day warning period

According to Spencer, the student was taken into custody and the weapon was recovered by staff members.

Police said the student was allegedly carrying the loaded weapon in his backpack when it was discovered.

A motive for why the weapon was brought to school is still under investigation, Spencer said.

Staff members were notified of the weapon, which prompted the investigation, Spencer said.

The student was transported to the juvenile detention center and could face charges of a CCW violation, illegal conveyance of a weapon and inducing panic, Spencer said.

Trending - Most Read Stories