breaking news

JUST IN:


Scam involving iTunes gift cards costs Oxford woman $1,400

Published: Sunday, December 03, 2017 @ 10:00 AM


Lisa Werner/flickr Editorial/Getty Images
(Lisa Werner/flickr Editorial/Getty Images)

An Oxford woman told police on Nov. 17 she was defrauded out of $1,400 from several callers who claimed she had won a grant.

The woman received a call saying that she qualified for a grant of $14,566, according to a police report.

MORE: Local residents warned of new health care phone scam 

She was told she needed to pay 2.5 percent of the grant amount by using Apple iTunes gift cards because the tech company was the donor of the grant.

The woman told police she bought a $100 iTunes card online and then $300 worth of iTunes cards locally.

She then provided each gift card’s codes to the caller, who then told her she was now registered with Apple but needed to pay $1,000 for taxes to the IRS.

She was then told she needed to spend another $1,275 to raise her credit score to 780 in order to receive the grant, according to a police report.

At that point, the woman told the caller she was unable to do that and said she wanted her money back, having spent all the money in her bank account and maxing out her credit card. 

By the time she alerted police, iTunes advised her all the gift cards had already been spent and couldn’t be redeemed or returned.

The woman’s credit card company is working with her bank to try and get her money back, according to the police report.

Trending - Most Read Stories

NEW DETAILS: Dayton admits it was wrong in Dunbar fight, faces more state penalties

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 7:37 AM
Updated: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 8:48 AM

WATCH: DPS Basketball brawl at center of OHSAA lawsuit

UPDATE @8:44 a.m.: Dayton Public Schools and Dunbar High School face new state penalties announced today because a player the district argued in court did not take part in a basketball fight did indeed, according to new video of the brawl.

That meant the district’s legal challenge of the Ohio High School Athletic Association’s removal of Dunbar from the state tournament — and Dunbar’s reinstatement — never should have happened.

Dunbar will not be allowed to participate in the 2019 postseason basketball tournament, as a result of this year’s eligibility mess.

RELATED: Principal, Dayton AD Baker were reprimanded

The overall OHSAA probation for Dayton Public Schools is extended through June 2020. Probation for Dunbar will run through 2022.

Superintendent Elizabeth Lolli said district Athletic Director Mark Baker has begun a redesign of the athletic department in recent months, but this morning she would not say firmly that DPS is committed to Baker as athletic director moving forward.

UPDATE @8:37 a.m.: Dayton school officials today apologized for a legal fight involving Dunbar High School, admitting for the first time that new video shows a player participated in a fight after denying he had done so.

The district sued the Ohio High School Athletic Association after the state group removed Dunbar from the boys basketball tournament for using a player who should have served a suspension. A local judge sided with Dayton, saying he could see no evidence the player took part in the fight with Thurgood Marshall players earlier in the season.

MARCH 6: Judge puts Dunbar back in basketball tourney

Today, though, Dayton Public Schools confirmed that after court case, new video of the Jan. 10 basketball brawl came to light, showing that the key player in Dunbar’s eligibility flap did go into the fight at the end of a junior varsity game.

In statement, DPS said, “We owe an apology to Bishop Fenwick High School, Thurgood Marshall High School and the OHSAA.”

Fenwick was the team that had to wait for Dunbar’s court fight, and Thurgood Marshall was the team the OHSAA said should have played Fenwick.

MARCH 7: Dayton schools, OHSAA still in war of words

UPDATE @8:30 a.m.: Dayton Public Schools admits it was wrong about the key fact in its court fight, meaning Dunbar’s boys basketball team was improperly reinstated to the postseason tournament.

The admission comes in a joint press statement with the OHSAA.

UPDATE @8:26 a.m.: Dayton school board president says changes within the athletic department are coming after an emergency meeting today regarding Dunbar High School’s boys basketball program.

MARCH 2: Step-by-step look at Dunbar case, from Jan. 10 to lawsuit

UPDATE @8:18 a.m.: Dayton’s school board remains behind closed doors this morning, discussing new information about district’s dispute with a state athletic group and Dunbar High School’s boys basketball team.

The team had been kicked out of the tournament for using an ineligible player, but a Montgomery County judge re-instated the team when he could not find evidence the player in question had taken part in an earlier fight on the court, one for which he and other players never were punished.

EARLIER TODAY: Dayton’s school board began an emergency meeting at 7:30 a.m. Thursday to discuss new information about the Ohio High School Athletic Association court case involving Dunbar High School.

Immediately after opening the meeting, the board went into a closed, executive session to consider possible personnel actions or “the investigation of charges or complaints against a public employee.” Language on the meeting agenda says the board intends to consider “the dismissal of a public employee or official.”

MARCH 12: Dunbar JV coach, school athletic director reprimanded

Other than Dayton Public Schools leadership — school board members, Superintendent Elizabeth Lolli and Treasurer Hiwot Abraha — the only person seen going into the executive session was attorney Brian Wildermuth, who represented DPS in its March lawsuit against the OHSAA.

On March 6, a judge put Dunbar back into the boys basketball postseason tournament after the OHSAA had disqualified the team for using an ineligible player. The OHSAA said an unnamed Dunbar player, who played in a tournament game, should have been ineligible because he was never properly suspended for his part in a Jan. 10 on-court altercation.

But Montgomery County Common Pleas Judge Michael Krumholtz said he found no proof, in video evidence or testimony, that the player in question went on the court for that Jan. 10 fight. Dunbar was reinstated to the tournament, defeated Middletown Fenwick, then lost to Woodward in the district finals.

The agenda also said that the school board would “confer with an attorney” at Thursday’s meeting, concerning disputes that are the subject of pending court action.

RELATED: No athletics money missing for first time in 4 years

DPS Superintendent Elizabeth Lolli and school board President William Harris both declined comment before the start of Thursday’s meeting. OHSAA spokesman Tim Stried said late Wednesday that his organization would issue a press release after Thursday’s meeting.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police: Mom turns son in to police for robbing, shooting at couple

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 7:23 AM

Mom Turns Son in to Police After Seeing Him Rob, Shoot at Couple on TV

A Memphis mother took action when she said she saw her son robbing a couple on the news

On Sunday, April 22, a man came up to the home on the 5000 block of Berta Road asking for a ride, and then pointed a handgun at the victim. The man's wife then came out of the house and saw what was happening. 

She went into the home and retrieved a handgun. She fired one shot in the air, and the suspect ran. 

>> Read more trending news 

While he was running, he shot at the woman who then returned fire at the suspect. 

Related: Woman sees husband in trouble, pulls out gun on would-be robber

Surveillance footage of the exchange went viral when thousands of people shared the story and video across social media. 

A Memphis mother was watching the news and recognized the robber as her 20-year-old son, Derriontay N. Perry. 

Related: Father reports son after teen admits to 250 car break-ins

She did not hesitate to call the police. Officers arrested her son without incident on April 25. 

Perry is charged with aggravated assault and aggravated robbery. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Trump VA nominee Ronny Jackson withdraws name from consideration

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 7:59 AM
Updated: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 7:59 AM

Who is Rear Admiral Ronny L. Jackson?

Ronny Jackson, President Donald Trump’s pick to head the Department of Veterans Affairs, has withdrawn his name from consideration, multiple news outlets are reporting.

Trending - Most Read Stories

PIZZA WARS: Today, yet ANOTHER national chain reveals plans for more Dayton-area restaurants

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 8:02 AM

Little Caesars franchisee to open new locations in Fairborn, Centerville.

Any chance that the highly competitive local pizza market might be cooling a bit with the recent closings of a LaRosa’s, Papa Murphy’s and PizzaFire locations evaporated this week with the news that first Pizza Hut, and now Little Caesars, are adding new Dayton-area locations.

Frank Sanchez, franchisee for Little Caesars in the Dayton area, confirmed to this news outlet today that he is gearing up to open two new locations, first in the coming weeks in Fairborn, and later this summer in Centerville. 

>> JUST YESTERDAY: Pizza Hut to expand Dayton-area footprint with 2 new locations

The Fairborn location is located at 1892 S. Maple Ave., adjacent to a Family Video store at Maple and Dayton-Yellow Springs Road. If all goes well, Sanchez said, the carry-out-only pizza restaurant will open in mid-May. 

>> NEW RESTAURANT’S FOUNDER: ‘I can’t wait to start giving back to this town that my family and I have grown to love’

The Centerville Little Caesars will move into the space that previously housed Papa Murphy’s Pizza at 832 S. Main St. (Ohio 48). Plans call for renovations to start by the end of May with a projected opening in mid-July, according to Sanchez, who also oversees a Little Caesars in Richmond, Ind. and three in Michigan. 

>> Your guide to the best Dayton-area pizza

Other Dayton-area Little Caesars are owned by the chain that is headquartered in Detroit and which operates restaurants in all 50 states and in  20 countries and territories worldwide.

>> Here’s how a Xenia brewery is saluting life-saving weatherman in the 1974 tornado

The new Little Caesars locations — and two new Pizza Hut locations coming to Kettering and Beavercreek that this news outlet told you about yesterday — will join an already competitive Dayton-area pizza market, which has long been dominated by venerable hometown chains such as Cassano’s Pizza King and Marion’s Piazza; by national chains such as Domino’s and Papa John’s; and by the dozens of smaller chains and single-store independents that operate in the Miami Valley. 

>> RELATED: Local pizza shop shuts down abruptly, lashes out at ‘corporate’

 In recent years,  other smaller, mostly regional chains have invaded those established market players’ turf, including LaRosa’s, Godfather’s, Dewey’s and Jet’s, among others.

>> RELATED: LaRosa’s in Huber Heights shuts its doors (November 2016)

>> LaRosa’s speaks out on restaurant closing, Dayton market

More recently, “fast-casual” pizza chains that focus on customized, fast-baked pizzas have added a new layer of competition. Kettering-based Rapid Fired Pizza has led that surge locally, and Seattle-based MOD Pizza operates two Dayton-area restaurants. A third competitor, Cleveland-based PizzaFire shut down its only Dayton-area location late last year. LaRosa’s also has closed two of its Dayton-area locations since late 2016.

>> The best Mother’s Day brunches in Dayton

Trending - Most Read Stories