breaking news


Roy Moore loses Senate bid as election board certifies Doug Jones as winner

Published: Thursday, December 28, 2017 @ 5:42 AM
Updated: Thursday, December 28, 2017 @ 3:25 PM

What You Need To Know About Roy Moore

Update 12/28, 3:25 p.m. ET: While it is expected that Doug Jones will be sworn in as a member of the U.S. Senate on Jan. 3, Moore can file for a recount within 48 hours of the election certification, according to The Montgomery Advertiser.

Update 12/28, 2:16 p.m. ET: Senator-elect Doug Jones has released a statement following the certification of the Dec. 12 special election, saying that “our victory marks a new chapter for our state and the nation.”

Jones won the election by 21,924 votes. More than 1.3 million votes were cast, The New York Times reported

Update 12/28 2:08 p.m. ET: Doug Jones has officially been named the winner of the Dec. 12 special election against Roy Moore. The election was certified by Alabama Governor Kay Ivey, Attorney General Steve Marshall and Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill, who said the process is pretty routine, a reporter with The Montgomery Advertiser posted on Twitter

Jones will take the oath of office Jan. 3 once the Senate returns to Washington, CNN reported

Update 12/28, 1:37 p.m. ET: A judge has denied Roy Moore’s request to delay the certification of the Dec. 12 special election results. 

Update 12/28, 11:58 a.m. ET: Roy Moore’s opponent and winner of the race, Senator-elect Doug Jones has filed a motion to dismiss Moore’s lawsuit.

Original story: Roy Moore filed a complaint Wednesday to block the results of Alabama’s special Senate election, alleging potential voter fraud, CNN reported. 

>> Read more trending news

Moore, a Republican, lost the Senate race on Dec. 12 to Democrat Doug Jones by more than 20,000 votes. Moore has refused to concede and urged a delay in certifying the results, CNN reported.

Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill is scheduled to certify the special election results Thursday. But the Moore campaign filed a last-minute complaint, arguing that the certification should be delayed until a “thorough investigation of potential voter fraud” is completed.

Moore and his campaign filed a complaint in the Circuit Court of Montgomery, Alabama, listing several allegations and called for “a new special election,” CNN reported.

His complaint alleges that out-of-state residents had been allowed to vote and that election fraud experts had concluded through statistical analyses that fraud had occurred.

Moore's complaint also alleged “anomalous” higher voter turnout in Jefferson County, in which census data shows 43 percent of the population is black. He called the county's 47 percent voter turnout as “highly unusual” and questioned the integrity of its election results.

Trending - Most Read Stories

NEW DETAILS: Piqua man strangled with garrote in Warren County prison

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 1:19 PM

A 40-year-old man serving an 18-month sentence for domestic violence in Miami County was apparently strangled to death in his cell at Lebanon Correctional Institution on Monday, according to authorities.

A garrote, a tool used to kill someone by strangulation, was found around the neck of a Miami County inmate on Monday at Lebanon Correctional Institution, according to the initial investigative report.

Kevin Nill, 40, of Piqua, was less than a month from the end of an 18-month sentence for domestic violence in Miami County when he was pronounced dead at 9:43 a.m. Monday at the Atrium Medical Center, according to investigators and Ohio Department of Rehabilitation & Correction records.

MORE: Springfield man in Lebanon Correctional beaten to death with concrete brick

“The victim inmate was found unresponsive in his cell with a garrotte around his neck at Lebanon Correctional Institution. The victim inmate was transported to Atrium Medical Center, where he was later pronounced deceased,” Trooper Laura Harvey said in a report obtained today by this newspaper.

Doyle Burke, chief investigator for the Warren County Coroner’s Office, said Wednesday an autopsy and other evidence determined Nill was strangled to death in his cell at Lebanon Correctional Institution on Monday, according to authorities.

RELATED: Miami County man found dead in prison cell in Warren County

The incident at the prison on Ohio 63, west of Lebanon, Harvey’s report said, lists the offense as murder, although no charges have been filed.

MORE: Prison guards didn’t know inmate on bus was being murdered

Nill was to be released on May 24, according to on-line Ohio Department of Rehabilitation & Correction records.

He was not hanging when he was found and injuries were consistent with strangulation, which was determined to be the cause of death, Burke said.

According to prison and court records, Judge Jeannine Pratt sentenced Nill to 18 months in prison on April 20, 2017. With credit for time served, he was scheduled for release on May 24.

On April 7, 2017, a motion for a competency evaluation was withdrawn and Nill pleaded guilty to attempted domestic violence.

MORE: Inmate claims fear of prison gang prompted beating death

The sentencing was delayed so that a pre-sentence investigation could be completed, according to on-line Miami County records.

His prior record in Miami County Common Pleas Court listed a series of cases dating back to 1996 and including escape, receiving stolen property, felonious assault, kidnapping, violation of a protective order, domestic violence and attempted violence, including 2009 and 2015 cases in both of which he was sentenced to 11 months in prison.

MORE: Experts search for answers about domestic violence fatalities

Harvey declined to comment on the case, while the investigation continued.

Prison officials confirmed the fatality and investigation, but provided no other information.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Trump confirms Cohen represented him in 'crazy Stormy Daniels deal'

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 1:17 PM

This combination photo shows, from left, President Donald Trump, attorney Michael Cohen and adult film actress Stormy Daniels. (AP Photo)
AP
This combination photo shows, from left, President Donald Trump, attorney Michael Cohen and adult film actress Stormy Daniels. (AP Photo)(AP)

President Donald Trump on Thursday said attorney Michael Cohen represented him “with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal” weeks after he told reporters that he had no knowledge of a $130,000 payment paid to the adult film star by Cohen.

>> Read more trending news

During a phone interview on “Fox & Friends,” Trump said Cohen did “a percentage of my overall legal work -- a tiny, tiny fraction.”

“Michael would represent me … on some things,” Trump said. “He represents me — like with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal, he represented me.”

Daniels’ attorney, Michael Avenatti, called the admission “another gift from the heavens in this case” in an interview on MSNBC.

“It’s a hugely damaging admission by the president because according to what he said on Air Force One a few weeks ago, he didn’t know anything about the agreement, he didn’t know anything about the payment, Michael Cohen went off and did this on a lark and Mr. Trump knew nothing about it,” Avenatti said. “He tripped himself up.”

Cohen negotiated a $130,000 payment to Daniels in October 2016 in exchange for her signing a nondisclosure agreement barring her from talking about an alleged sexual encounter she had with Trump in 2006, The Wall Street Journal reported in January.

Trump told reporters on Air Force One earlier this month that he was unaware of the payment or where the money had come from.

Avenatti told CNN Thursday that Trump’s most recent comments would only bolster his efforts to force Trump and Cohen to testify under oath about their knowledge of the payment to Daniels.

>> Related: Trump says he didn't know about Stormy Daniels payment

“It’s going to add considerable momentum to our efforts to depose the president and put him under oath, because now we have two contrary statements in less than a month,” Avenatti said.

Daniels, who was born Stephanie Clifford, is suing to break the nondisclosure agreement, claiming the document is invalid because it was never signed by Trump.

Cohen filed notice Wednesday that he would not answer questions in the Daniels case, exercising his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Bill Cosby found guilty in sexual assault trial

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 1:44 PM

Bill Cosby Found Guilty Of Three Counts Of Aggravated Indecent Assault

A jury in Pennsylvania on Thursday found comedian Bill Cosby guilty of three counts of aggravated indecent assault.

>> Read more trending news

Related

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police: Suspected driver in deputy cruiser ramming had loaded shotgun

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 2:15 PM


            Sha’King Jones
Sha’King Jones

Sha’King Jones is the alleged driver among a group of young adults and juveniles suspected in Monday’s ramming of a Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office cruiser at a Valero gas station at Siebenthaler Avenue and Philadelphia Drive in Harrison Twp.

Jones also had a loaded weapon, according to court documents.

According to the sheriff’s office, as deputies approached the stolen Corolla that was parked in the lot of the Valero, the driver noticed the deputies, got back in the vehicle and sped off, striking the patrol vehicle.

RELATED: Juvenile suspects in cruiser ramming have previous felony charges

“Sha’King Jones was the driver of a confirmed stolen vehicle,” a sheriff’s detective wrote in Vandalia Municipal Court documents obtained by this news organization. “The (defendant) fled the vehicle on foot and was apprehended — located in the vehicle loaded and ready at hand was a loaded (12-gauge Mossberg) shotgun.”

Jones was arraigned Thursday in Vandalia Municipal Court on charges of having weapons under disability, receiving stolen property and failure to comply with the order of a peace officer. His bond was listed at $75,000 cash/surety.

The detective wrote that Jones ignored verbal commands to exit the vehicle “and accelerated backwards striking the marked cruiser forcing it through the lot striking 2 more cars. (Defendant) then fled at a high rate of speed while being pursued by police.”

RELATED: Details emerge about suspects accused in ramming of sheriff’s cruiser

Nikeas Jones, 20, was charged with obstructing justice and also was scheduled for a Thursday arraignment. Nikeas Jones “became vulgar and ignored warnings to stop,” the detective wrote.

Sha’King Jones long juvenile record

As a 12-year-old in December 2010, Sha’King Jones was charged with misdemeanor assault. He was ordered into a work program, counseling and wrote an apology letter, according to Montgomery County Juvenile Court records obtained by this news organization.

For nearly three years, Jones had no new infractions. But just after his 15th birthday, Jones continued a spree of charges that totalled 21 felony and misdemeanor cases in Montgomery, Franklin and Stark counties before he turned 18.

MORE: Read other stories from Mark Gokavi

As a juvenile, Sha’King Jones faced felony charges of breaking and entering, failure to comply and multiple counts of assault, grand theft auto, robbery and vandalism.

He also faced numerous misdemeanor counts of domestic violence, criminal trespass, unauthorized use of a vehicle, obstructing official business, resisting arrest, assault, misconduct at an emergency, disorderly conduct at school, criminal damaging and criminal mischief.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Follow Mark Gokavi on Twitter or Facebook

In March 2014, a Montgomery County Juvenile Court magistrate judge sentenced Jones to 6 to 21 months of incarceration, the first of numerous times Jones was ordered to be detained.

A court document from June 2, 2017 said Jones had been held in the Dept. of Youth Services facilities for 541 days.

Trending - Most Read Stories